9th April 2010 on Explorer cancelled

:mad: As expected (though Royal denied that it was happening) this cruise has been cancelled. I am really hacked off.

Apparently letters are going out tonight with our list of 'options'.

This is right in the middle of the Easter holidays, and I am amazed that they have done this. I know it does happen.

Wonder what compensation (if any??) we will receive. (I also had managed to snag a JS Deck 10 Aft:mad::mad::mad:)

I can understand being disappointed, especially because it sounds like you are please with your cabin selection, but I'm not sure why you are "hacked off." This cruise is a year and a half way. Seems like plenty of time to replan. I can't imagine you already have airfare, do you? Not sure why you'd expect compensation.

Have fun planning your new cruise.

According to this earlier post it looks like you will be offered an OBC if you switch to one of the other cruises.

I understand your disappointment, we are booked on Explorer for next April. I booked in June 2007 and got a great cabin and would hate for it to have been changed even so far out.

Julie

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=870642

I can understand being disappointed, especially because it sounds like you are please with your cabin selection, but I'm not sure why you are "hacked off." This cruise is a year and a half way. Seems like plenty of time to replan. I can't imagine you already have airfare, do you? Not sure why you'd expect compensation.

they are only selling airfare up to early Oct 2009 so they couldn't possibly have airfare. No retail (not chartered) airline goes over 330 days.

Maybe 'hacked off' a bit strong, however, the reason I am unhappy (even though I know its a long time away) we were considering going for the cruise before but were swayed by getting the JS we wanted. The cruise before is now over $2000 more than when we were going to book it....

we leave in 6 more fridays...love to see a new pier.

we also have a 12/09 cruise booked..hope they don't cancel that one

Looks like you're good for now. As of late, only the March/April 2010 cruises on Explorer have been removed from the site. You're cruise should still be on.

From Erica in another thread.

I just spoke with Royal Caribbean about Explorer of the Seas' 2010 schedule and here's the scoop:

RCI is cancelling the 3/28 12-nt, 4/9 9-nt and 4/18 11-nt Caribbean cruises and replacing them with a 13-nt Southern Caribbean cruise on 3/28, a 5-nt Bermuda cruise on 4/10, a 9-nt Bermuda and Bahamas cruise on 4/15, and a 5-nt Bermuda cruise on 4/24.

Explorer will then sail its scheduled 5- and 9-nt Bermuda and Caribbean cruises, all out of Bayonne. At the moment, the line has not announced any intention of moving Explorer from Bayonne.

If you're booked on any of these cruises, the line's reaccommodation department should be contacting you.

Hope that information's useful!

Maybe 'hacked off' a bit strong, however, the reason I am unhappy (even though I know its a long time away) we were considering going for the cruise before but were swayed by getting the JS we wanted. The cruise before is now over $2000 more than when we were going to book it....

No I don't think it's a bit strong. We're on the same cruise but for Easter next year - booked it summer last year - and would also have been hacked off if they'd cancelled it even if it is so far out. It's not as easy for us people in the UK who have kids in school to get the sailings which we want (and not out of Europe) and this one looked ideal. It's a long way to go from the UK for a 5-night cruise on the 10th April which seems to be replacing it (as mentioned above). I'm sure, like us, you were thrilled to find a 12 night cruise which spanned the Easter school break and really sympathise with you. I really hope you get something good in it's place.;)

Our 3-5-2010 cruise on Jewel of the Seas was also cancelled - along with several others as they are sending JOS to Vancouver for the Olympics. My TA thinks that RCCL will offer some incentive (not compensation per se) to rebook on another ship for another time or same ship for a different time.

Bottom line, I am not unhappy or upset as these things happen and I will get my $900 back or applied to another cruise depending on our decision. Our TA has not gotten any info from RCCL yet which is the only thing that slightly bothers me as it has been two weeks since the cruise was cancelled.

I would like to make some other plans but need to wait for RCCL to get their act together I suppose.

You will find another cruise as there are so many options out there. I understand disappointment but at least you still have 18 or so months to plan another.

I reallly want to book on Equinox now!

I feel your pain. We booked a Radiance South American holiday cruise (Christmas and New Year) aft corner cabin 9256 shortly after bookings opened. RC canceled and Radiance is being redeployed. RC's attitude was too bad, so sad, so I'm afraid you shouldn't expect much. Yes they have the right to make these changes (as you have been reminded), but that doesn't make us feel any better about the cruise we were looking forward to, does it?? I think the best cure is to find another vacation (cruise or not) to plan and look forward to. Hope you find something you like even better!

Thanks for all your sympathies guys.

Well, I suppose RCI have been quite fair as we have been offered $400 obc to transfer to another Explorer cruise (which is great!) however, we obviously have to pay the current price and they have all gone up a great deal since we booked.

We have though, decided to book on the 12 night Explorer on 14th February 2010. We are paying about $1800 more but, of course we are getting 3 more nights (though not sure that is worth that much money!!) and we do have the $400 obc. I am hoping though that maybe the price will drop!!!! (wishful thinking!). Oh, well, at least I get a longer cruise out of it, which is fantastic!!!

The only thing is we will have to take boys out of school for 6 days, though I think a trip to NYC and a caribbean cruise is as much of an education!!!!

Good luck everyone with their bookings and happy cruising!!:)

Thanks for all your sympathies guys.

Well, I suppose RCI have been quite fair as we have been offered $400 obc to transfer to another Explorer cruise (which is great!) however, we obviously have to pay the current price and they have all gone up a great deal since we booked.

We have though, decided to book on the 12 night Explorer on 14th February 2010. We are paying about $1800 more but, of course we are getting 3 more nights (though not sure that is worth that much money!!) and we do have the $400 obc. I am hoping though that maybe the price will drop!!!! (wishful thinking!). Oh, well, at least I get a longer cruise out of it, which is fantastic!!!

The only thing is we will have to take boys out of school for 6 days, though I think a trip to NYC and a caribbean cruise is as much of an education!!!!

Good luck everyone with their bookings and happy cruising!!:)

There are great museums in NY and Ground Zero so for educational purposes NYC would be great.

Archived