Merged Katrina Threads

lele100

I know the human losses are so overwhelming and we have donated blood and $$ for those poor souls.

But there are so many now homeless dogs seperated from their loving families--can you imagine their despair?

As I look into the eyes of my beloved RESCUED dachshunds I am so thankfull that they now have a loving family that spoils them rotten!

Anyhow I found this site which is helping the poor creatures-----

https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005

Check it out and give what you can and then hug your own dog!

There was a news clip showing a small white dog left behind when its owner got on a bus. They said no dogs were allowed, so they left it behind. The dog was nine years old. I can't imagine losing your home and then having to leave your beloved pet behind or not be able to go to a safe shelter.

Sounds like they are blaming Bush for the hurricane:eek:

The hurricane is not Bush's fault. The poor response of the federal government is.

The poor response of New Orleans government is the mayor's fault, and the poor response of the state government is the governor's fault. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Gee, I hope the volunteers and those remaining in the areas are focusing their efforts on clean up rather than finger pointing.

Wife of a federal employee, daughter-in-law of two federal employees one of whom had been working with Louisiana to preserve the wetlands - the buffer.

Why on earth does everything have to become political........let's just get the work done............rescue, feed, shelter, rebuild and move on !!!There is time for the blasted retheoric later !!! And let them do it on some one else's backs!!!! The people dying waiting for water in the "greatest country on Earth" certainly did need to die with the world standing in judgement of the President or anyone else for that matter. This global warming argument meant nothing to "Katrina".

I guess it's time for me to get off my soapbox. I am angry now after wiping away tears watching the TV coverage hour after hour......sorrry

Joan

Sail on..

PS Syracuse University is offering free admittance to those displayed students and some have started already!!!!

Anytime anything happens, you have a few countries that will blame the President... it has happened time and time again, throughout history. Many countries will stand behind us, many will put us down... this is not a time for finger pointing, and frankly, who really cares what other countries think right now? If they don't want to help, fine... if they do, as Rice has said, we will take anything they want to give us...

Has anyone thought that maybe we have responded poorly because we never have disasters of this magnitude. Even 9/11 was in one specific area more or less. They didn't have to contend with floods and snipers and looters. If the people doing all the -itching would shut up and do something more resourceful since they obviously know everything then we would have more done.

Linda in Texas

Many countries will stand behind us, many will put us down... this is not a time for finger pointing, and frankly, who really cares what other countries think right now? If they don't want to help, fine... if they do, as Rice has said, we will take anything they want to give us...

Exactly. :)

Has anyone thought that maybe we have responded poorly because we never have disasters of this magnitude.

That's all fine and dandy, but we've known for decades that a New Orleans hit was a special hurricane scenario. In fact, what heppened this time is precisely teh "worst-case scenario" that FEMA has been talking abotu for years. WHy didn't they have an adequate plan in place?

It's not all Bush's fault, but, as they say, "the buck stops here".

First off I reject the premise that the rescue mission has been handled poorly. Helicopters were there quickly and got fired on. 80% of New Orleans is under water. Bridges and roads, what's left of them anyway, needed to be inspected and secured before heavy trucks could be rolled in. The loud mouths that are getting their face on the news every 5 minutes are actually far better off than the ones we don't see who need to be air lifted one at a time. I applaud the federa, state and local workers and volunteers, inluding the leaders & bosses, for the job they are doing.

Anytime anything happens, you have a few countries that will blame the President... it has happened time and time again, throughout history. Many countries will stand behind us, many will put us down... this is not a time for finger pointing, and frankly, who really cares what other countries think right now? If they don't want to help, fine... if they do, as Rice has said, we will take anything they want to give us...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks to the OP for the link - it's good to know what our friends are saying about us behind our backs.

Last night I watched people on TV begging for food, water, medicine, security. The government's reply: "Wait, we need (yet) another day..." We'll likely never know how many weak, sick, elderly and very young have died because it took "one more day"

Yes, there's alot of unnecessary yelling going on, and the need is huge. Everyone in the releif effort must be supported and cheered on at this point. But there's a lot of evidence that this could have been handled differently, and hopefully in the months to come leasons will be learned. It would be horrible if nothing came of this.

..to see our Military convoys descending on NOLA. I got a lump in my throat seeing the greatest nation on earth coming to the aid and rescue of the victims of likely the greatest storm ever to hit our shores. God Bless the first responders, the brave civilians that have risked their lives to come to the aid of their fellow Americans. We are, after all Americans.

Mike

Any Presidents job at a time like this is to be a reassuring voice, to open the fed wallets and cut red tape that prevents progress. Listening to some it seems that since he is not in New Orleans wearing waders toting a shotgun means he is ignoring his responsibilities. Ridiculous!

Here in California we are warned regularly to keep an earthquake emergency kit at home the reason being in case of a major earthquake we should not expect government help for 3 days. It seems that rule of thumb works for hurricanes as well if you cant get out the supplies and help have the same trouble getting in.

Archived