For Princess newbies: Any tips, tricks or other Princess only things to know?

Morgsmom

We've cruised quite a bit, as our signature will show, but other lines (Disney, for example) have entire books of insider tips and tricks.

Anything that we absolutely should know? For example, certain off-menu room service items that they will bring you if you ask? Any other "secrets" or "secret handshake" items?

International Cafe gets great raves for the chicken salad but my DH and DDs say the eclairs are great. Some ships have fresh cookies and milk on the pool deck in the afternoon...still warm at the choc-choc chip are wonderful!

Some people say the beds are too hard, see many other posts for that issue (we have never had a problem), so if you dont like a firm mattress request and egg crate mattress topper, separagte threads on that too.

If you want the ultimate ship tour or chef's table sign up as soon as you get on board.

Enjoy!

Be sure to try the homemade ice creams in the dining room. Delicious! I hardly ever eat ice cream at home but the ice cream on Princess is delicious. The gelatto at the International cafe is really good too. 3 big scoops for a very small price.

The coffee card is a good bargain too if you like coffee drinks. If you have punches left you can bring the card back on another cruise. You are also able to get fresh brewed coffee anytime with the coffee card. The coffee they serve in the rooms, buffet and dining room are not as good as the fresh brewed coffee at the coffee bar according to some. The coffee card will get you a cup of fresh brewed anytime, while there are punches left on the card.

Avoid the breakfast buffet around 8.45 - 9.15am if you can as it can be difficult to find a table at that time.

If you want to go to the first show turn up early for a good seat (people will start arriving 30 mins early and by 15 mins prior its often quite full).

Yes, Eastern Itineary on the Emerald... We've been to the Eastern ports before (except Princess Cay) but it's the little Princess things I am curious about. I'd love to do the Captain's Table but I am traveling with my 14 year old DD and doubt that children are allowed.

Hello,

We sailed the Emerald Princess in January and had a great time. You can check out our review here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=62968

Book the Late Dinner seating and go to the late shows, if you get hungry early just order room service or visit one of the Cafes. If at all possible, arrange for a Balcony Diner ($50 pp), you WILL NOT be disappointed. As for getting stuff with "secret handshakes" have a "Dead President" ask someone for you, tips towards your Steward and others will get you what you want.

Good luck and enjoy.

See ya,

ivoryebony

Please keep the tips coming. I'm also sailing Princess for the first time and taking notes!!

Book anytime dining so that you have the flexibility of eating when you want. If you want to you can also reserve a table for the same evening by phoning DINE in the morning.

The International Cafe is great for a light lunch and also they have a breakfast muffin.

If a show is repeating on the second day then it will be a lot less crowded.

Check your onboard bill regularly by dropping by the pursers desk when there is no queue (late evening or early morning). There is no interactive TV bill process.

Book anytime dining so that you have the flexibility of eating when you want. If you want to you can also reserve a table for the same evening by phoning DINE in the morning.

The International Cafe is great for a light lunch and also they have a breakfast muffin.

If a show is repeating on the second day then it will be a lot less crowded.

Check your onboard bill regularly by dropping by the pursers desk when there is no queue (late evening or early morning). There is no interactive TV bill process.

After a couple of nights waiting 20 minutes in line for Anytime Dining, we discovered we could call in the morning and reserve a specific time slot. When we came to the diningroom, we would get right in, no waiting. I wish we would have known that earlier in the cruise. I love the anytime dining! Especially with kids.

The fettucine alfredo is to die for. The chef's table is definetly worth every penny, but you must book as soon as you get on. If there is an Adagio Bar on the ship it is the best kept secret for a quiet drink and the best stuffed olives you have ever had. There is usually a piano player there and it is just very delightful. Also get on the ship with a good attitude and enjoy your trip!!!!:D

After a couple of nights waiting 20 minutes in line for Anytime Dining, we discovered we could call in the morning and reserve a specific time slot. When we came to the diningroom, we would get right in, no waiting. I wish we would have known that earlier in the cruise. I love the anytime dining! Especially with kids.

How can you call that anytime dining if you are making reservations in the morning???? Why not just book the late sitting for dinner and know you have lots of time to prepare for dinner?:confused:

How can you call that anytime dining if you are making reservations in the morning???? Why not just book the late sitting for dinner and know you have lots of time to prepare for dinner?:confused:

Even though you can make a reservation, it is still Anytime Dining because your reservation can be for a different time each evening. You are not locked into a specific time. You can eat early one night and late the next. It offers great fexibilty.

Yes...anytime dining is amazing! Also...if you have fixed seating and you are not happy with your waiter or with your tablemates( if you pick a larger table than your travel companions) you are kind of stuck....we usually "shop" for our waiter....when we find him/her, we book it for the rest of the cruise...!!!!

• 5 years later...

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

I'm a young cruiser with one trip under my belt. I've been on the Disney Cruise to Mexico with a friend. We had a blast and felt like kids with no worries.

I am doing a second cruise on the Grand Princess to Alaska in 2016 and have my Husband ( it was very hard to convince him to come) and Grandparents in tow.

Since this will be my first time on Grand Princess are there any Hints, Tips, Specials that I should be aware of?

Also do you have suggestions for activities for our 2 generations to enjoy together including when we are at the ports? My grandpa has a bad back so limited walking and no bumpy rides would be great!. They are celebrating 50 years and we will be celebrating 2 year anniversaries. Our ages are 70's and 30's. Thanks!

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

I'm a young cruiser with one trip under my belt. I've been on the Disney Cruise to Mexico with a friend. We had a blast and felt like kids with no worries.

I am doing a second cruise on the Grand Princess to Alaska in 2016 and have my Husband ( it was very hard to convince him to come) and Grandparents in tow.

Since this will be my first time on Grand Princess are there any Hints, Tips, Specials that I should be aware of?

Also do you have suggestions for activities for our 2 generations to enjoy together including when we are at the ports? My grandpa has a bad back so limited walking and no bumpy rides would be great!. They are celebrating 50 years and we will be celebrating 2 year anniversaries. Our ages are 70's and 30's. Thanks!

Definitely do the White Pass Railroad in Skagway; it begins right in front of where the cruise ship docks. This railroad ride was featured on PBS a few years ago.

You might also consider renting a mobility scooter for Grandpa . . . I got mine through Special Needs at Sea; they deliver it right to the ship. I also bring a collapsible wheelchair when I travel.

Did you consider posting this question about activities for 2 generations on cruise critics disabled forum?

<<The fettucine alfredo is to die for>> Make sure you get the full portion. It comes in a parmesan bowl. The appetizer portion does not. Yum!

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

!

My DH & I just did the Grand in January. Took all week to figure out layout of ship, but we finally got it down. My favorite was Alfredo's. It is a sit down pizza place. Don't let that scare you. If there are no tables, you can often get a spot to sit quickly if you are willing to sit at the counter. The counter is also nice because then you get to see them making the pizzas. At this Alfredo's, they only offer pizza, not pasta or salads. If you feel like making it into a meal, order your pizza and walk across to the International Café and check out the offerings on salads. You can bring your plate of salad back to enjoy with your pizza. To get to know the ship you might try a scavenger hunt. My DH & I did a picture scavenger hunt. We went around taking pictures of the items. We had less than an hour to find all items on the list. Be creative when finding your items :cool: We never expected to win. Haven't had so much fun with my DH in years...Also learned quickly were stuff was.

Another idea, on formal night each time they snapped our photo our photographer gave us a card. The next day we put that card into a box to enter to win stuff from the photography dept. We did not win, but if we didn't enter we couldn't have won. I haven't been to Alaska, so all I can say is do your research. Read as much as you can here and tripadvisor is a wealth of knowledge. Know when you can go on your own and when you should go with the ship. If you drink coffee, get the coffee card. My DH used his well. He has about 1/2 the punches left for next time. He got to know the waiters at the IC. We still keep in contact with one in particular who works there and at Sabatini's. His name is Stephan. If anyone stops by either place on the ship, please send our love to him! That's all I have for now!

Great choice on the multi-generational cruise to Alaska - with so much to see and do we found it appealed to everyone in our group that spanned those ages as well! Check the Alaska message board as the posters there are very experienced and generous with suggestions. I would suggest the White Mountain Pass bus and train tour in Skagway (we booked through Chilkoot Tours) and a whale watch in Juneau. Libby Riddles is usually a guest speaker brought aboard in Juneau for a presentation about her experience racing her team and winning the Iditerod.

Re cruising: most princess ships have a buy one get one for $1 happy hour from 3-4, and you can buy gelato for a single punch on your coffee card if it's served on your ship. check the "Patter" delivered to your cabin each day for time and location of a wide variety of ship activities, and a new Sudoku puzzle is available daily in the library.

Have a terrific cruise!