Smokers spoiled the fun of having a balcony

Fblack

I had a balcony for 26 days on the Westerdam from Rome back to Ft. Lauderdale. This was two cruises back to back. And for some reason, just about whenever we wanted to sit and relax on our balcony, some one was smoking near by and the smoke bothered our enjoyment.

We could always see smokers hanging out over the railing puffing away...and they were always one to three cabins up wind. We also saw smokers below us. This occurred on both cruises. I may be wrong, but I thought the ship encouraged smokers to use their balcony rather than smoke in their room.

One good thing was that the ship banned all smoking in the pool area around the big center Lido pool and nearly every other public room but part of the Ocean Bar.

I am just not sure it's worth spending extra for a balcony any more.

Oceania has the best no smoking policy. No smoking on balconies. There are only 2 small smoking areas on their ships - one outdoor and one indoor. Regent has recently gone the same route. I wish all lines would follow.

wouldn't it be easier to sail one of those lines instead of constantly complaining about it?

Hang in there ... it's only a matter of time before HAL won't allow smoking on balconies. Celebrity no long allows pipe and cigar smoking on the balconies and I think cigarette smoking will follow in time.

It's not going to be a comfortable change, but I don't think they'll have a choice given the fire dangers involved.

wouldn't it be easier to sail one of those lines instead of constantly complaining about it?

We had the same problem and were booked on the 114 day RTW cruise, so we came back from our ruined cruises and booked the very 1st balcony at the front of the ship so no one would be up wind from us. We can handle lots of motion better than smoke. If you don't have a problem with motion, you might consider this for your next cruise.

Mygate

We had a problem on 2 cruises with people smoking on the balcony up wind from us. The next cruise we were booked for was the 115 day RTW cruise and we really wanted to use our balcony on that one.

We solved the problem by changing to the very 1st balcony room at the front of the ship so no one could be up wind from us. We can handle the motion better than the smoke. If motion does not bother you, you might try this next time. Mygate;)

We could always see smokers hanging out over the railing puffing away...and they were always one to three cabins up wind. We also saw smokers below us. This occurred on both cruises. I may be wrong, but I thought the ship encouraged smokers to use their balcony rather than smoke in their room.

Now you really have me confused.

Let me see if I follow your statement...

1. You spent alot of time watching other people on their balconies trying to figure out who was smoking on them or not. Not only side to side but down below as well.

2.You state that you thought the ship encouraged smokers to use their balcony rather than smoke in their room.

Okay, so exactly what is the point? Ship encourages people to use their balconies instead of their room so are you saying its the ships fault for encouraging people to use their balconies instead of their rooms?

PTC

We had the same problem and were booked on the 114 day RTW cruise, so we came back from our ruined cruises and booked the very 1st balcony at the front of the ship so no one would be up wind from us. We can handle lots of motion better than smoke. If you don't have a problem with motion, you might consider this for your next cruise.

Mygate

Ruined cruise? 114 days and the cruise was ruined by smokers?:rolleyes: Didn't you visit any of the ports? Wasn't the food absolutely wonderful? Didn't the overall experience of 114 of sailing outweigh anything a smoker could blow at you?

PTC

The smokers have just as much right as we do to their balcony. We don't complain, we've just given up on paying the extra $$$. We originally booked a balcony on the E'dam Inaugural. But after worrying about actually being able to use/enjoy what we've paid for, we downgraded and are now cruising for 20-days instead of the 10. :D

Regent Seven Seas Cruises is banning smoking in cabins and balconys starting in late December of 2007.

I predict we'll be seeing tighter smoking restrictions on all lines. I also think there will continue to be limited areas for those who still smoke.

We were next door to a cigar smoker on a Princess cruise. He was really bad, seemed like he was always on the balcony....and he smoked in the cabin too. We knew this because when the steward was cleaning his cabin (with the door open), the smell wafted down the hall.:(

I thought it was really bad, but my dh said it didn't bother him at all.

Then I thought to myself, it could be worse, I could be married to him.:D :eek:

You know, after that it didn't bother me.....maybe I got used to it.

I wouldn't let a cigarette smoker "ruin" my cruise, it takes alot more than smoke to do that.

Oh, for those of you who can't imagine having smokers disturb another passenger's enjoyment of their cruise - We sailed to Hawaii last year on the Zaandam. One of our fellow CC'ers was celebrating a BIG anniversary with a verandah cabin. Not only couldn't they enjoy being out on their balcony, the smoke came in around the door to the balcony. Even inside their cabin there was a strong 'aroma' of smoke. Due to some other issues, their cabin had to be switched half-way through the cruise. The second half was much more enjoyable for them. Yes, if we'd had their cabin, our cruise would have been ruined - NO matter the ports or the wonderful food. The overall experience of sailing could NOT outweigh anything a smoker could blow at me. I'm rather fond of breathing - thank you. This was another cruise we had considered a balcony but did not because of the possibility of not being able to use it.

I'm not going to debate, as I mentioned the smokers also have a right to enjoy their cabins/balconies. I just want others to consider the other side of the coin. For those of us who are allergic/sensitive the smoke from others can GREATLY affect our cruise. There is NO good answer to make everyone happy.

I forgot to mention that we were on the Veranda deck of the Westerdam. The tenders and life boats are just below these balconies. I saw one smoker flicking ashes over the railing. Imagine if he accidentally flicked a lighted cigarette on to a lifeboat? Does Star Princess mean anything? At least if they require smoking only inside cabins accidental fires on balconiesmight be prevented.

What the heck???? I don't smoke - but seriously, my cruise ruined by a smoker - NOT!?! I have bad allergies too.

People, get a grip here - it's something that lasts about five minutes.

I have a hard time believing someone is smoking on their balcony 24/7!!!!!

I had a balcony for 26 days on the Westerdam from Rome back to Ft. Lauderdale. This was two cruises back to back. And for some reason, just about whenever we wanted to sit and relax on our balcony, some one was smoking near by and the smoke bothered our enjoyment.

One good thing was that the ship banned all smoking in the pool area around the big center Lido pool and nearly every other public room but part of the Ocean Bar.

I am just not sure it's worth spending extra for a balcony any more.

Try the first forward cabin.

I quit smoking seven months ago. My husband still smokes. I understand how it can bother someone in closed quarters, but when you are outdoors,can it really be any worse than having to dine with someone who pours on the perfume or aftershave. I get very bad headaches and sick to my stomach from that. So do we ban perfumes and aftershaves?

I quit smoking seven months ago. My husband still smokes. I understand how it can bother someone in closed quarters, but when you are outdoors,can it really be any worse than having to dine with someone who pours on the perfume or aftershave. I get very bad headaches and sick to my stomach from that. So do we ban perfumes and aftershaves?

Oh dem1958: I have to agree with you. I am also one that suffers from allergies and smoking doesn't bother me much at all, but those perfumes and aftershaves (especially the musk-based ones) make me miserable as sin, nauseated and with a major headache and watering eyes (and I wear contact lenses which makes the problem even worse - having a bit of mascara slip into those watering eyes is like having a red-hot poker shoved in your eye). I have to cover my nose and mouth with my hand, or a tissue if I happen to have one available, and I try not to be rude but have been known to utter "OMG - did you take a bath in that stuff?"

Valerie:)

I was a smoker for almost 40 years. Feb. 2000 after bypass surgery I decided I had rather live than smoke and have not had a cigarette or any other kind of tobacco. However, I have a flash for you. DW is a smoker and guess what, her smoke does not bother me. She does not smoke in the house because we never smoked in the house. I really believe there are a lot of people that LET smoke bother them because they are anti smoker. I believe as DW does that all smokers should be courteous and respect others that don"t smoke. I was always amused after all the allergic to smoke talk that people would start coughing when they saw you light a cigarette. Never saw that to my knowlegde the first 25-30 years of being a smoker. Anyway, I would not let any single thing ruin a cruise for me. Not bad service, not bad weather, not poor entertainment, not rude people, not bad food, not a bad experience on an excursion, and certainly not somebody that has a cigarette which is their right in an area where smokeing is allowed. Like I have said before, I WILL ENJOY EVEWRY CRUISE BECAUSE I WANT TO ENJOY EVERY CRUISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Oh wah wah!:rolleyes: Funny how there are so many people "allergic" to smoke when it used to be common for even doctors to smoke in an examining room, people smoked on airplanes, patients smoked in their (shared) rooms, etc. etc. Funny how people managed to survive then. Now smoking is condemned as a mortal sin and everyone is so super sensitive that it RUINS their whole cruise!!:eek::eek: And, no, I'm not a smoker.

I do not smoke. I suffer those who smoke in my vicintity, just like I suffer those who play music that is unappealing. It is not the end of the world and I would never let it "ruin" my cruise or vacation. Get over it, life is a series of compromises.

Archived