Finally booked and now the questions... dun dun dun dun

cwd79

Hi all.

Well we booked our 2nd cruise and decided to do a Western Caribbean 7-day and then when we are on board will book the 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise for January 2015... I've read that you can get OBC and Future credits... Not sure what all that means but it sounds good...:D

My husband and I will be cruising on the Oct. 26th 2014 Eurodam cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. Some questions:

We will be driving there from N.C. only about a 8 hour drive. Our first cruise last year we flew in but trying something different this time...

I'm assuming they have parking garages to park in that are safe and not far of a walk to the terminal? What time is a good time to arrive in order to give us enough time to get to the terminal?

I have read that around 11am they start the embark process. So wasn't sure what time we should get in line if we want to be close to the front during that time?

We are in a Neptune Suite and wasn't sure if we get priority during that time. The reason I ask is our first cruise last year we were also Neptune Suite and stood in line for a few hours not realizing we might have been able to go to a different line...:(

Is there a speedier way to get through the security process if you're a suite guest or not?

Also the first cruise we walked on with our luggage and didn't check it because we didn't really know what the process was and by the time we were deep into the line we realized we saw this HUGE area with all the luggage and didn't know what to do. We should have asked but didn't... This time we just don't want to deal with the luggage ourselves, so I'm assuming there is an area that we drop of the luggage? Can you do that earlier then 11AM? Is there a place for Neptune Suite luggage passengers or do we just walk up and hand our luggage to anyone?

Also We wanted to bring a 24 pack of bottled water and coke... Will the luggage guys take that for us and will that be delivered to our room? Should we wrap the bottled water and coke to make it more secure? We put a luggage tag on that as well?

I'm paranoid as anytime we have "checked" our luggage on any trip previously, one of our bags have gone missing.

We used the Neptune lounge a lot on our first cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Is the Eurodam similar in regards to the Neptune lounge?

Is it more cost effective to buy the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind dinner packages before the cruise or just book it when we get on the boat?

Last cruise we never ate in the MDR, never went to the formal dinners... this cruise we want to try it so what should we expect? My husband and I are very simple food eaters. We are meat and potato people. Fancy dishes tend to make us scratch our head... He eats fish but I don't. I'm fine with steak and chicken. I'm assuming there are options like that?

We don't know our room yet but have a SC category but per our booking it shows we will be on the Rotterdam floor but no room assigned yet... Unless I am missing something I don't see any SC suites on that floor. We would prefer not having an AFT suite as the long walking would be an issue for my husband as he has issues with one of his legs every now and then.

Is there a way to know if there will be any groups on our cruise?

Has anyone been to the movie theater on board? We were thinking about trying that if there is a good movie showing... Does that tend to get busy? Do you need to reserve seats?

We didn't do the Pinnacle Breakfast on the last cruise but have heard so many good things about it, we are going to do it on this cruise... Do you need a reservation for that? Or do we just head on over there? We are early risers, does anyone know the time it opens?

I know I've asked a TON of questions and I appreciate anyone who will take the time to answer a few. We are very excited and cannot wait to try the Eurodam this time. Our cruise experience from the first cruise last year and now this cruise has been made better because of all your expertise and knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

When you book a cruise while cruising, you get shipboard credit. The amount depends on the length of the cruise and the cabin category you book. No future credits -- they only come about once you have taken the cruise.

Everyone drops off their luggage in the same area. Then you proceed to the terminal doors. Sometimes they ask to see your boarding passes -- sometimes they don't. The person standing at the door usually asks what cabin category you are in and gives you a "S" letter for getting onto the ship. Sometimes they open the doors at 11 and sometimes earlier. Once inside you go through security. Be certain you ask for the Neptune Suite check-in -- it is in a different place than the other check-ins.

Usually boarding starts around 11:30. The PS passengers go first followed by the wheelchair people. Then they will call the "S" category people. Most times the cabins are ready at that time and you can drop off your carry-ons and then do whatever you want.

As for soda and bottled water, since the new wine policy went into affect, you now have to carry on your own soda and bottled water. JMO -- I wouldn't haul on bottled water -- the tap water on the ships is better than what we get at home.

Yes the Neptune Lounge on the Eurodam is like the one on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

You take a chance waiting to book specialty restaurants until you are on the ship. Some times they fill up quickly. Since we are 5 star Mariners, we do better by booking early as we get 50% of our dinners. As for the package -- I understand that you can not choose the times you want. I really am not too familiar with that.

You can not reserve seats for the movie theater. There are about 36 seats -- get there early.

We always have breakfast in the Pinnacle. No reservations required. On port days it is open from 7:30 - 9 AM and on sea days it is open from 8 AM - 9:30 AM.

Information on parking at the cruise terminal can be found here: http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/.

If you want to avoid the long lines, I would suggest that you plan to arrive anytime after 11:30 am. It has been my experience that boarding generally starts at around 11:30 am. If you were to arrive at say 11:50, you will find it quite easy to board as all of the early birds will be on the ship. We arrived at one cruise at 1:30 pm and there wasn't any line anywhere.

Passengers in a Neptune Suite do have priority embarkation, but I am not sure if that is extended to security clearance. The priority embarkation usually refers to actually checking in and boarding, IIRC.

You can save money purchasing your speciality restaurants on line before your cruise. You cannot book your reservation until you board the ship though.

The menus in the MDR are not fancy. You will find it a big difference though from dining in the speciality restaurants. We find the MDR to be especially loud and busy and we tend to avoid it also. Steak, chicken and fish are generally available every evening. Should you feel like dining on your balcony, remember that you can order dinner from the MDR menu through room service.

We have been to the movie theatre on board. The big, black leather chairs are really comfortable and many people fall asleep during the shows.

It appears that you have a SC guarantee cabin. You actual cabin room won't most likely be assigned until close to your sailing date. The guarantee means that you will receive at least a SC or higher category stateroom. There is a chance that your cabin may be upgraded to a SB or SA category.

Sounds like you plan on driving down on the same day. Not something I would do, too many chances of problems and perhaps missing the ship. Drive down the day before, spend the night at a hotel near the port that let's you leave your car for the week and take a cab, or the hotel shuttle to the port. Just a whole lot less stress in my opinion.

The eurodam is a great ship. I think you will enjoy her. We loved the tamarind restaurant on board but it is Asian fusion and, in your own words, might make you scratch your heads. In any case, the silk den (near the restaurant) is a nice bar for a pre or post dinner drink. Check for happy hour times in your daily on location for the best drink deals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you want a less expensive alternative to terminal-side parking at Port Everglades, I can recommend Park 'N Go on Eller Drive. They shuttle you to and from the cruise terminals to your vehicle. We've never waited longer than 5 minutes either direction. As we often drive down too, I will drop off the DW, in-laws and other baggage at the terminal and then drive the short distance to their property and hop the next shuttle back. They check the luggage in with the handlers and I'm back in time to join them in line. Do be aware that there is a construction mess around the port with I-595. Pay careful attention to the signage. From I-95 the port is just a quick couple of minutes east if you take I-595. It's where 595 terminates, nearly at the port's doorstep, that is under construction.

Pinnacle Grill breakfast is reserved for Neptune Suite (NS) guests only and no reservations are required. Your card will identify you as a NS guest.

You'll not have any problems with the menus in the MDR on any night. There is an "Always Available" section of the menu that includes simple meals. Plus, if you get to know your waiters, they'll quickly get to know you and your likes and dislikes. Often after the first night we've found our favorite iced tea and bread selections waiting for us and if there are special requests for sides you'll only have to ask and you'll find it there the next and subsequent nights. On one of our cruises we ate with a Scottish gentleman who loved "chips" (french fries) and each night was served a heaping pile of them on a separate plate (all without asking after the first night). They were never on the menu. So just ask! :)

I'm not aware of any separate line through the security checkpoint for Suite guests, but as others have mentioned here, NS guests have a separate check-in and first and always boarding. I've learned something new from cbr663 as I didn't know you can no longer check soda and water with your luggage. As Krazy Kruizers has pointed out, water on board is quite palatable; we bring reusable bottles with us and just fill up in the cabin.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by 0bnxshs

Is it more cost effective to buy the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind dinner packages before the cruise or just book it when we get on the boat?

You can save money purchasing your speciality restaurants on line before your cruise. You cannot book your reservation until you board the ship though.
In that case, I'd forgo the small savings of the package and choose the days and times I want.

OP - please don't call the ship a "boat" :):)

You don't say where you live in NC, but driving to Ft. Lauderdale is NOT an 8 hour drive from anywhere in NC. Even if you are in southern NC like Charlotte or Wilmington it is at least 10-11+ hours and that is without any road construction or traffic backups. You can count on having one of these when you are in FL, more likely both! We have driven to Ft.L for cruises many many times from both NC and now Atlanta and it is a long drive, nowhere near 8 hours from NC, often closer to 12. And we are fast drivers and don't poke along, believe me.

If you want to drive in one day, embarkation day from NC will not work, believe me. Either make the full drive the day before and spend the night near the port or stop and spend the night on the road a few hours north of Ft L and drive in early embarkation morning.

Edited by peaches from georgia

You don't say where you live in NC, but driving to Ft. Lauderdale is NOT an 8 hour drive from anywhere in NC. Even if you are in southern NC like Charlotte or Wilmington it is at least 10-11+ hours and that is without any road construction or traffic backups. You can count on having one of these when you are in FL, more likely both! We have driven to Ft.L for cruises many many times from both NC and now Atlanta and it is a long drive, nowhere near 8 hours from NC, often closer to 12. And we are fast drivers and don't poke along, believe me.

If you want to drive in one day, embarkation day from NC will not work, believe me. Either make the full drive the day before and spend the night near the port or stop and spend the night on the road a few hours north of Ft L and drive in early embarkation morning.

I agree with Peaches. I can't figure out where in NC you could live that FLL is only 8 hrs. We drive to a hotel in South Jacksonville, FL the first day on the road and it's 8 hrs including stops. The next day it's about 3.5 hrs or so to get to our hotel in FLL to spend the night before our cruise.

Edited by Linda&Vern

You don't say where you live in NC, but driving to Ft. Lauderdale is NOT an 8 hour drive from anywhere in NC. Even if you are in southern NC like Charlotte or Wilmington it is at least 10-11+ hours ...

At the speed limit to 5 mph over, I'd figure 6 hrs from FLL to GA, 2 more to SC, and 3 more to the southern edge of NC. Plus one gas/bathroom stop, and grabbing some fast food once or twice. BUT - she never said they'd be doing it in one day, or that they would be arriving on embarkation day. :)

... hotel in South Jacksonville, FL ... The next day it's about 3.5 hrs or so to get to our hotel in FLL to spend the night before our cruise.
I don't see how that can possibly be true. It's about 315 miles. To do it in 3.5 hrs yo'd have to average 90 mph.

We live just off I-96 near Melbourne, and for us it's about 3+ hrs to FLL and at least 2 hrs to the I-295 beltway around Jacksonville.

Edited by jtl513

At the speed limit to 5 mph over, I'd figure 6 hrs from FLL to GA, 2 more to SC, and 3 more to the southern edge of NC. Plus one gas/bathroom stop, and grabbing some fast food. BUT - she never said they'd be doing it in one day, or that they would be arriving on embarkation day. :)

You're right, she didn't and I seriously doubt they were thinking of driving down embarkation day.. But they are so off on the length of the drive, they need to be aware from even southern NC and including the raod construction/accidents/traffic you usually encounter in FL you have to figure on 12 hours minimum. We always grab fast food and eat in the car, but one gas/food/rest room stop in 12 hours??! You're dreaming! :D

At the speed limit to 5 mph over, I'd figure 6 hrs from FLL to GA, 2 more to SC, and 3 more to the southern edge of NC. Plus one gas/bathroom stop, and grabbing some fast food once or twice. BUT - she never said they'd be doing it in one day, or that they would be arriving on embarkation day. :)

You are right, jtl513. I made the assumption that they would drive down on embarkation day by the way she phrased her post (just an 8 hour drive) and that may not be correct. And your drive timing sounds about right to southern NC.

you know what they say about assumptions - my bad.

This reminds me of the old math questions - if car A is travelling at xx MPH etc.:D I'm sure they are leaving enough time, no matter what.

Add me as someone who did not know the rules about taking water and soda have changed and you can no longer check them with your luggage. When did that happen?

We live just off I-96 near Melbourne, ...

Typo too late to correct ... of course I meant I-95. :o

Add me as someone who did not know the rules about taking water and soda have changed and you can no longer check them with your luggage. When did that happen?
Same time the new wine rules went into effect, Jan 31 this year. Now ALL beverages have to be hand-carried.

Edited by jtl513

We will be driving there from N.C. only about a 8 hour drive.

... driving to Ft. Lauderdale is NOT an 8 hour drive from anywhere in NC.

I live south of Charlotte, almost 700 miles from FL. Drive to/from FL is 12-14 hours - we don't speed and take stops every couple hours. Driving straight through at 70mph with no stops, no traffic, perfect conditions would take at least 10 hours.

As to booking onboard, my thoughts:

First, do your homework ahead of time and know the exact price of the cruise and cabin you want to book, before you leave home.

Next, compare the cruise price you get from the onboard consultant with what you found while at home. I have found them normally to be the same.

Now, review the On Board Credits (OBC) that you are offered for booking onboard to the OBC that you would get if you purchased a Future Cruise Deposit while onboard (normally they are the same).

If the price and OBC are the same, do not book while onboard. Instead, just purchase a Future Cruise Deposit from the onboard consultant.

After you get home, wait about 2-3 weeks and you should (not always) get a special email from Holland offering to DOUBLE the OBC you earned from your Future Cruise Deposit (offer code ZPM or ZPN).

Now, call your TA or Holland and book. Any questions?

DaveOKC

HI all, Thanks for the great information. I should have been more clear. We will be in GA for a few days before the cruise and it's 8 hours from where we will be in GA. Based on our own nervousness, we will be staying in a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale the night before to make sure there are no car hiccups. We live in Charlotte NC and you are right that is not an 8 hour drive. :D

I didn't realize that bringing your own water and soda changed... I think I will just bring a couple empty water bottles and use that. Do they frown at that? Filling up a water bottle on board?

Also if we wanted to get a cabana for one of the days, is that something I need to do before the cruise?

And I keep reading about the thermal pool? Or something thermal related... is that part of the spa? Anyone expand on that?

<snip>I don't see how that can possibly be true. It's about 315 miles. To do it in 3.5 hrs yo'd have to average 90 mph.

We live just off I-96 near Melbourne, and for us it's about 3+ hrs to FLL and at least 2 hrs to the I-295 beltway around Jacksonville..

You are correct. I just pulled out our driving directions. I always want to get there faster. From our home in NC to the South Jax hotel is 475 miles, 7 hrs w/no stops. From that hotel to the Embassy Suites is 322 miles, 4 hrs 35 mins w/no stops. I never think my vacation is starting until I see the Embassy Suites. :D

Edited by Linda&Vern

For our Alaska cruise in April, I just purchased a 12 pack of Cola and walked on with it as our carry on luggage. It easily fit in one of those grocery store bags with the handles. Here's a tip: if you are not going to avail of the alcohol in the mini fridge in your cabin, you can ask the concierge in the Neptune Lounge to have the fridge emptied for you. You can then fill it up with your soda and water and have cold drinks whenever you like.

It is my understanding that you should book a cabana before you sail. I have read that these are in high demand and go quickly, although, I have never booked one and an just relaying what I have read.

HI all, Thanks for the great information. I should have been more clear. We will be in GA for a few days before the cruise and it's 8 hours from where we will be in GA. Based on our own nervousness, we will be staying in a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale the night before to make sure there are no car hiccups. We live in Charlotte NC and you are right that is not an 8 hour drive. :D

I didn't realize that bringing your own water and soda changed... I think I will just bring a couple empty water bottles and use that. Do they frown at that? Filling up a water bottle on board?

Also if we wanted to get a cabana for one of the days, is that something I need to do before the cruise?

And I keep reading about the thermal pool? Or something thermal related... is that part of the spa? Anyone expand on that?

If you want to book a cabana for a day you will need to wait until you board. It may or may not be available. The last Caribbean cruise I was on I was only able to book it for the week.

I'm not aware of any separate line through the security checkpoint for Suite guests, but as others have mentioned here, NS guests have a separate check-in and first and always boarding. I've learned something new from cbr663 as I didn't know you can no longer check soda and water with your luggage. As Krazy Kruizers has pointed out, water on board is quite palatable; we bring reusable bottles with us and just fill up in the cabin.

Enjoy your cruise!

Not sure if it is true all the time, but I do remember a vacant security check in for NS - I think later they are both used for check in.

I'm not sure if the information on the soda and water is accurate. The carry on regulation in the 'know before you go' only refers to wine. No mention of soda and water that I could see. I know our last cruise I saw water/soda being checked and the new rules were well in place by then. We carried our wine on and paid corkage for the extra bottles.

If you fill your bottles in the Lido buffet drink area, someone might fuss. We've seen it both ways. We always use our bottles on excursions, filling them in the cabin, and don't generally have them while just being on board. A glass of water is always available at the Lido buffet.

If you check out www.HALfacts.com you'll find a Spa Services menu on the General Info page and photos of the spa and thermal suite on the various class pages. Yes, this is a part of what is being referred to when you see mention of the thermal pool.

<SNIP>

I'm not sure if the information on the soda and water is accurate. The carry on regulation in the 'know before you go' only refers to wine. No mention of soda and water that I could see. I know our last cruise I saw water/soda being checked and the new rules were well in place by then. We carried our wine on and paid corkage for the extra bottles.

That's as I remember from March of this year on Maasdam at Port Everglades. There were a couple of flats of water bottles in the checked luggage carts. Used to be you slapped a luggage tag printed from the HAL website on them (or soda flats) and they showed up in your cabin!

Edited by 0bnxshs

Here's a tip: if you are not going to avail of the alcohol in the mini fridge in your cabin, you can ask the concierge in the Neptune Lounge to have the fridge emptied for you.
Just ask your steward, no matter what class of cabin. He's the one that will do it ... why ask the concierge, who will then ask your steward? Edited by jtl513