Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 28th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Funny! At least she didn't do the Tom Hanks thing from BIG.

Old December 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM
20,000+ Club

I've had a few tough steaks over the years on cruise ships, pretty much in the main dining rooms, the specialty restaurants do a better job with better cuts of meat. I typically avoid ordering any chicken at dinner on any ship...it just tastes reheated to me.

The absolute worst meals I've ever had on a cruise ship were the curry risotto (main dish meal) on NCL Star and pretty much "lobster" night on any line. It's rather odd (to me) that many others look forward to tough, overcooked lobster, maybe they just like the melted butter? Why do we keep trying it? We've learned to order one entree to share between us and load up on the salads and appetizers instead. I think once out of 20 or so cruises we've had almost good lobster in the main dining room.

That curry risotto was in 2002 and I still remember how nasty it was, I don't remember what my husband had but he didn't like his food, either. We got up and went to the buffet afterward...the food wasn't any better there. So, the rest of that cruise, dinners were in the specialty restaurants.

For years people raved about the honey stung chicken on RCI on boarding day at the buffet. I haven't cruised RCI in a couple years, so I don't know if it's still served. The stuff had a fatty feel to the tongue and very little actual meat on the chicken, mostly just the breading with sticky "honey" sauce. I wanted to prove myself wrong, so tried it several times...nope, always pretty bad.

Food is so subjective. I have a brother in law who will rave about a restaurant...we try it and think it's just average or not so great. I think a lot of my distaste for restaurant food comes from the fact that I cook fresh at home and can tell the difference between fresh and frozen veggies and meat, fresh or bagged dehydrated lettuce.

I definitely don't cruise for the food!

Old December 28th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlitner View Post
Feel the urge to relate this old tale. When DD was about 6 we took her on a Sitmar cruise. On one of the formal nights we went to a cocktail party where waiters were coming around with all kinds of hors d'oeurves and DD spotted a piece of toast with a topping she thought was chocolate. She quickly grabbed this item off the tray and popped it into her little mouth. Within a couple of seconds she got this horrid look on her face, a few tears in her eyes, but she still finished her snack without a sound. She had just had her first (and to this day 27 years later her last) taste of caviar!

Hank
When I was 6 myself, I was lucky enough to travel with my parents in First Class Transatlantic. We were the only passengers in First and when the Cabin Attendant asked me what I wanted for started, I told her, with a posh intonation Caviar! So be it, se gave me the WHOLE pot, of extremely expensive Beluga Malossol... First time caviar for me, and a couple of hours later also the first time becoming sick onboard an airplane...

Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Only been on one cruise so far on Navigator of the Seas. I agree with whomever said that the hamburgers and hot dogs in the Windjammer were inedible. Tried them on embarkment day and it was a huge mistake! The bun was so stale that it broke.

The other nominee I have for worst meal was the beef stroganoff in the MDR. It wasn't bad per se, but it tasted like chili and it was super weird.

Navigator of Seas- February 2012
(Celebrity Eclipse- November 2012(Had to cancel because I lost my job ))
Celebrity Silhouette- January 2013
Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old January 6th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Chateaubriand on the Carnival Dream. The first one they brought me still had the blood pumping thru the veins, the second one they brought me was a charcoal briquet. Ew.

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know if they still have it or not but I was on the Carnival Conquest in 2003 & 2004 when they did the chocolate buffet on the final sea day. I have always loved chocolate and tried everything. The ONLY tasty item was a banana fritter! I don't know how it was possible to have so many horrible chocolate creations in one room.

On a happier note, all of deserts I had with my meals were really good. I loved the creme brulee' and tiramisu.

Carnival Conquest Nov 2003
Carnival Conquest Aug 2004

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Old February 18th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Here's what I have come to believe about buns...

Ships have to fight the moisture in the air. I know if I leave my balcony door open for a little my clothes sitting out get a mustiness to them. That's why even the potato chips get stale quickly. So perhaps they have to slightly toast all the buns to keep them from getting soggy? Then they sit under those heat lamps that just keep toasting them & toasting them?

Now as for the hot dogs? Those are just plain bad. The lines have partnered up with so many, they should partner up with Nathan's or Sabretts in there!!

140 days at sea and counting!!!
Carnival Breeze June 2014,
Adventure OTS B2B Feb & March 2013,
Carnival Pride, Oct 2012, Celebrity Summit B2B Aug & Sept 2011, Explorer OTS Feb. 2011, Freedom OTS Sept. 2010, Carnival Dream Feb. 2010, Adventure OTS Sept. 2009, Carnival Glory March 2009, Mariner OTS Sept 2008, Legend OTS Feb. 2008, Adventure OTS Sept. 2007, Grandeur OTS Sept. 2006, Voyager OTS Oct. 2005, Radiance OTS Jan. 2004, Norwegian Sun, Dec. 2002, Legend OTS Dec. 2002, Carnival Tropicale, Dec. 1992

Last edited by Pack My Bags; February 18th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.

Old February 18th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I am sailing back to back this Sunday & RCL has revamped all their menus. Printed them out & I have seen some of my favorites leave, but lots of new stuff that looks interesting. Open minded, I have 2 weeks to try everything.

I'll be back!

140 days at sea and counting!!!
Carnival Breeze June 2014,
Adventure OTS B2B Feb & March 2013,
Carnival Pride, Oct 2012, Celebrity Summit B2B Aug & Sept 2011, Explorer OTS Feb. 2011, Freedom OTS Sept. 2010, Carnival Dream Feb. 2010, Adventure OTS Sept. 2009, Carnival Glory March 2009, Mariner OTS Sept 2008, Legend OTS Feb. 2008, Adventure OTS Sept. 2007, Grandeur OTS Sept. 2006, Voyager OTS Oct. 2005, Radiance OTS Jan. 2004, Norwegian Sun, Dec. 2002, Legend OTS Dec. 2002, Carnival Tropicale, Dec. 1992

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Eggs Benedict on Princess which are overcooked and dried out. At least that's what they were on the UBB. This was our substitution for the lox.

Now I am not a big fan of salmon but had it on the Coral Princess in 2007 with the butter sauce and it was yummy. Next year on the Grand, no more butter sauce, now melted butter with herbs. No good. I guess the real butter sauce just masked the flavor of the salmon. LOL.

Sue
Zenith '93-Western Caribbean, Horizon '94-Southern Caribbean, Century '98-Western Caribbean, Grandeur of the Seas '00-Southern Caribbean, Summit '02-Hawaii to Vancouver, Mercury '03-Alaska, Summit '06-LA to Hawaii RT, Coral Princess '07-Panama Canal, Grand Princess '08-Western Caribbean, Grand Princess '12-Eastern Caribbean, Island Princess '13-Alaska, Celebrity Silhouette '14-Western Caribbean.

Old March 8th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Honey stung chicken on RCI
Overall Nights @ Sea = 61

Old June 22nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swath View Post
Honey stung chicken on RCI
After hearing much hype about this on the boards, I tried it in the Windjammer and was disappointed. It was even a fresh batch put out on the buffet and it wasn't crispy and lacked flavor. I've heard the room service version can be good, though.

Allure, Eastern Caribbean, Nov. 2013
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, Jan. 2013
Freedom of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, Jan. 2012

Oasis, Western Caribbean, Jan. 2011
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, Nov. 2009
Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, Nov. 2008

Old June 25th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Worst thing I ever tasted and nearly spit out, were the scrambled 'eggs' on Carnival Breeze last Oct. Clearly some kind of packaged mix, they tasted like paste.

Close second was their 'banana cream' pie- which contained neither bananas nor cream..

Lots of other offerings there were disappointing, but those 2 were truly awful.
1998-Maasdam. 2002-Veendam. 2003-Zuiderdam. 2004-Costa Fortuna. 2005-NCL Spirit. 2006-Noordam. 2007-Celebrity Constellation. 2008-CCL Miracle. 2009-Eurodam. 2011-Noordam. 2012-CCL Breeze. 2013-NCL Sun. upcoming: Nov 2014-NCL Jade, West Med. Sept 2015-NCL Star, Baltics
Review: Food, Wine & Fun on the Sun http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965351
Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old June 25th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sushi on the Grand Princess was awful. We love good sushi and when we saw it we were quite happy because it looked great. But put it in your mouth and you were looking for a way to discreetly spit it out! Sushi on the Maasdam was only marginally better.

Zaandam July 11 2014 Alaska - Tracy Arm 7 day
Emerald Princess Mar. 29 2014 10 day E. Caribbean
Maasdam Dec 6 2013 - 14 day Southern Caribbean
Maasdam Apr 1 2013 Eastern Caribbean 11 day
Grand Princess - November 2012 14 day
Emerald Princess - April 2012 10 day
Westerdam -South. Caribbean, Nov. 2011, 7 day
Eurodam - East. Caribbean, October 2010 7 day

Old June 26th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamper View Post
When will people ever learn to listen to their waiter. Oy!
While it probably works most of the time to listen to your waiter, it's not a slam dunk. On a cruise on Celebrity, our waiter tried to talk me out of braised short ribs. Said they were too fatty and I wouldn't like them. I order them anyway, and they were the best thing I had the entire cruise of mostly not very good food.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default The absolute worst

The worst dish I have encountered on a cruise would have to belong to Carnival.."The Legend" They actually served (on the dinner menu)...MEATLOAF !!! It was cool, greasy, and did not resemble meat. I asked the waiter if they might be serving fried chitterlings the next day ? Had no clue.... What a poor excuse for dinner.

Carnival Sensation
Carnival Conquest
Carnival Glory
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Legend
Royal Caribbean Freedom
Norwegian Star
Holland America Veendam
Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam
Princess Grand

Old July 4th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Coffee on every cruise

Old July 5th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

On last week's cruise (Legend – RCI) I would finish every dish I ordered. Some meals were okay, and some were above average to great [overall very happy with the food in the MDR]. But there was one entre, and one soup, that I could not really stomach.

The soup was the duck consommé. I usually tend to order the cold soups on cruises (since I do not usually eat then stateside). But it seemed interesting. It was pretty much tasteless.

The entre, believe it or not, was the leg of lamb. I was looking forward to it when I saw it on the menu. It was well prepared, and very moist, but it was just not palatable (for me). I even accepted some mint jelly to put on it to give it some real flavor, and it still did not help. My waiter was nice and offered me something else when he saw I was not eating it (I usually pollished off everything on my plate), but did go to the next table to ask them if they liked their food (half of them had the lamb) - and they said they liked it.

On another note – the pre-packaged tuna and egg salad sandwiches in the park café at night are horrible.

I will also add my dislike of the hot dogs as well.
Monarch of the Seas (RCI) - S. Cal. & Baja Mexico - Aug. 2003
Explorer of the Seas (RCI) - Bermuda - Oct. 2009
Legend of the Seas (RCI) - W. Med. - June 2013 - Review
Next Cruise ????????
[All Things Legend of the Seas]

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”

~ Stephen Hawking

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

On an Alaskan cruise I ordered a fish called Zander. It was awful. I wrote in my journal that I didn't like it then looked at the journal from the year before and it turned out I'd ordered it and hated it then too. I had forgotten and must have been intrigued by the name. I have it burned in my memory now but I've not seen it on the menu again.

https://book.princess.com/images/cc/cc_mem_ben_elite.gif

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

On our last cruise one passenger opined that he liked everything on the menu just not the way they cooked it.

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iltutcruiser View Post
The worst dish I have encountered on a cruise would have to belong to Carnival.."The Legend" They actually served (on the dinner menu)...MEATLOAF !!! It was cool, greasy, and did not resemble meat. I asked the waiter if they might be serving fried chitterlings the next day ? Had no clue.... What a poor excuse for dinner.
I had meatloaf on a cruise and it was also bad. I told the waiter and he said he knew what I meant because he'd had meatloaf at the Golden Corral restaurant and he knew what good meatloaf was. I've never eaten at one but after the scandal last week I don't think I'd rush right over even if they had one in my area.