Excursions on our own?

shandean

This is my first post, so pardon me if I should have put it elsewhere...

My husband and 12 year old son leave on June 9 for our Princess Cruisetour and want to do some things on our own, as that's just our style... we like to explore and be on our own schedule.

I was hoping to find threads with things to do on each stop, but am not seeing that. We have excursions booked in Denali (Covered Wagon with Dining) and McKinley (Byers Lake Paddle trip).

Looking for things to do in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan (though we are thinking about the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show here). Any ideas? Or should I suck it up and book an excursion through Princess.

Also, another question: During 'scenic cruising', do you get off the ship at all, or are you just on the ship viewing the glaciers? Our itenerary states "Day 5- Scenic cruising Hubbard Glacier (3-8PM)", and "Day 6- Scenic cruising Glacier Bay National Park (9:15AM – 7:30PM)". Will we be getting off the ship during those times?

Thanks!

Shannon

On scenic cruising you stay on the ship. Make sure you take binoculars for each of you.

To find ideas look at the cruise reviews in the sticky at the top of this forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2046395

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879117

Skagway is know for the train excursions --would your son enjoy that? We used Chilkoot Charters. Wale watching is often done in Juneau --some companies have age limits. We used Orca Enterprises in 2012 and will use Harv and Marv in 2016. Ketchikan is famous for it's totems.

Edited by Alaskanb

Scenic cruising is exactly what it means. You can't get off the ship.

Skagway consider the Whitepass excursion on the train

Juneau take the shuttle to the Mendenhall ($20PP). If weather is good ride the Mt Roberts tram.

Ketchikan just wander the town . Visit Steel Creek , walk up to the salmon hatchery .

If you like doing things on your own, rent cars in Juneau and Skagway!

In Juneau, we drove up to the Shrine of St. Theresa and Mendenhall Glacier. took our time at both locations.

In Skagway, we drove the the The Klondike Highway up into the Yukon and turned around at Emerald Lake. The highway runs parallel to the train for the most part, but again, you can stop when and where you want and go off the beaten path.

This is my first post, so pardon me if I should have put it elsewhere...

My husband and 12 year old son leave on June 9 for our Princess Cruisetour and want to do some things on our own, as that's just our style... we like to explore and be on our own schedule.

I was hoping to find threads with things to do on each stop, but am not seeing that. We have excursions booked in Denali (Covered Wagon with Dining) and McKinley (Byers Lake Paddle trip).

Looking for things to do in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan (though we are thinking about the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show here). Any ideas? Or should I suck it up and book an excursion through Princess.

Also, another question: During 'scenic cruising', do you get off the ship at all, or are you just on the ship viewing the glaciers? Our itenerary states "Day 5- Scenic cruising Hubbard Glacier (3-8PM)", and "Day 6- Scenic cruising Glacier Bay National Park (9:15AM – 7:30PM)". Will we be getting off the ship during those times?

Thanks!

Shannon

Depending on the cost- if it's cheap, the Beyer's Lake tour is so so at best. I've camped there, it is nothing special, and would be very basic. Frankly time walking around Talkeetna- is superior. :)

YOU need to take a look at a shore excursion list and determine your interests, there are hundreds of tours to take. It's isn't enough just to list your ports. If you post your interests, then independent options could perhaps be suggested.

I hope you enjoy your cruise tour, since it is not in any form, being on your "own" or "own schedule".

Have you read any trip reports from last year? I found this the best way to get ideas on things to do. At the top of this forum is a link to those reports. You can probably find several that are by families with kids your age and/or a similar cruise tour itineray.

We just finished a trip and booked some of our excursions through the ship and some through independents. Google "things to do..." in each of your ports and you will find extensive lists. Some can be very expensive and others not at all. Specifically, the Lumberjack, show is fun but pretty "chessy".

Certainly whale watching in Juneau is available through several sources. A helicopter trip and dog sledding is expensive, but a lifetime memory. The train in Skagway is nice as well. Enjoy your trip.

Depending on the cost- if it's cheap, the Beyer's Lake tour is so so at best. I've camped there, it is nothing special, and would be very basic. Frankly time walking around Talkeetna- is superior. :)

YOU need to take a look at a shore excursion list and determine your interests, there are hundreds of tours to take. It's isn't enough just to list your ports. If you post your interests, then independent options could perhaps be suggested.

I hope you enjoy your cruise tour, since it is not in any form, being on your "own" or "own schedule".

Budget Queen: So you did the Byers Lake paddling excursion and did not enjoy it? Our family loves paddling, so I thought it would be a good one for us. Anyone else have opinions on this one? Wondering if I should cancel...

Also, Budget Queen: Not sure what you mean by, "I hope you enjoy your cruise tour, since it is not in any form, being on your "own" or "own schedule"." I realize that the skeleton of our trip is on Princess' schedule, obviously. I just meant that we prefer to do our own exploring instead of being part of a guided tour where every minute is filled. This is why we did the 'On Your Own' Princess Cruisetour.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I will check out the links above, Alaskanb. And we have been googling ideas of what to do in each port. Will also read the trip reports, knbcruiser. So far, in addition to the two Princess excursions I mentioned before, we've decided to:

-Possibly do an ATV tour in Anchorage, as we have a full day that we added to the beginning of our trip.

-Rent a Jeep in Skagway and drive to Emerald Lake.

-Rent a car in Juneau and drive to Mendenhall Glacier.

-Do some hiking on our own at the Denali and Mt McKinley lodges (when not doing the Princess excursions).

-See the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan.

-Do some hiking in Lynn Canyon and general sightseeing around the city of Vancouver since we're there from the time we get off the ship at the end of our cruise, until our 11:30PM flight!

I'm still gathering ideas for Ketchikan, Juneau, and Anchorage.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I will check out the links above, Alaskanb. And we have been googling ideas of what to do in each port. Will also read the trip reports, knbcruiser. So far, in addition to the two Princess excursions I mentioned before, we've decided to:

-Possibly do an ATV tour in Anchorage, as we have a full day that we added to the beginning of our trip.

-Do some hiking on our own at the Denali and Mt McKinley lodges (when not doing the Princess excursions).

-Do some hiking in Lynn Canyon and general sightseeing around the city of Vancouver since we're there from the time we get off the ship at the end of our cruise, until our 11:30PM flight!

I would just rent a car in Skagway not a Jeep. All roads are paved to Emerald Lake.

Unless you are going somewhere other than the Glacier in Juneau . I would use the shuttle to/from the pier.

You don't have to go all the to Lynn Canyon to hiking. The seawall walk around Stanley park is a very good hike. You can start at Canada Place and walk all the way to Granville Island following the shore.

Edited by Kamloops50

Budget Queen: So you did the Byers Lake paddling excursion and did not enjoy it? Our family loves paddling, so I thought it would be a good one for us. Anyone else have opinions on this one? Wondering if I should cancel...

Also, Budget Queen: Not sure what you mean by, "I hope you enjoy your cruise tour, since it is not in any form, being on your "own" or "own schedule"." I realize that the skeleton of our trip is on Princess' schedule, obviously. I just meant that we prefer to do our own exploring instead of being part of a guided tour where every minute is filled. This is why we did the 'On Your Own' Princess Cruisetour.

There is nothing special about Beyers Lake. I'm just commenting- that in my case- it is only a fill in, cheap option, since I had a RV there. I would not be paying any big money for this. FAR superior, if you like to "paddle", would be a kayak rental on Mendenhall Lake, Now that is spectacular scenery and definitely a highlight.

Just a suggestion- with your independent touring, if you haven't, I would definitely cancel your TWT and get the full refunds from Princess. Then book the shuttle bus to Eielson. Nice bonus- cost a fraction of your refund, with the superior option to see and do more, including a ranger hike, if of interest?

I truly meant- I hope you enjoy your mainland visit. Maybe return independent next time.

Are you renting a car in Anchorage? There aren't any ATV tours in the "city". :) Glacier trekking may be exciting to consider, along with a drive on the Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine. Nice hiking area as well.

I also agree, there is no advantage to renting a Jeep, unless, the "jeep" is your preference.

The hiking at McKinley Princess is pretty poor. I'm assuming you are only one day there? IF transiting via train- I would suggest you not be in any rush to leave Talkeetna, stay late after arrival, get there early when leaving. At least some more activities available.

You've mentioned your independent openess, there are endless opportunities in Denali- if you make the effort to include them. I am also assuming you have 2 nights here? How much time do you have there- meaning your transits?

I highly recommend Harv and Marv in Juneua for whale watching. We used them and they were great and have their own boat. The curise ship is huge! Plus, they are s lot cheaper. Will also take you to the glacier.

you really don't need a tour in Ketchikan. but thy have some fun tours there.. like DUCK tour and we ro gig Geo Caching.. but you can walk the town and see a lot.. get past the docks away from the typical caribean jewlrey stores.. you can take a bus to Saxamns village or the other way to Bright totem park.. i did the research.. if you want to see Misty Frjords you will need a tour and they are pricey since a plane will be inolved.

you do not hav to buy tours from the ship.. many local tour operators are right there at the dock berth 3 i think.. i did that research to.. Since calling Alaska is free and i have talked to a few on the phone..

Same thing in Juneau and Skagway.. unless u o to the Yukon you do need a tour, but you can buy one at the dock cheaper than the ship.. whale watching yu shold research.. not all whale watches are equal .. you can get a bus to Mendenhall cheap.. and walk to Mt Roberts and the town of juneau for free.. they have trolly for cheap to.. anything that involves a plane is costly;)

There is nothing special about Beyers Lake. I'm just commenting- that in my case- it is only a fill in, cheap option, since I had a RV there. I would not be paying any big money for this. FAR superior, if you like to "paddle", would be a kayak rental on Mendenhall Lake, Now that is spectacular scenery and definitely a highlight.

Just a suggestion- with your independent touring, if you haven't, I would definitely cancel your TWT and get the full refunds from Princess. Then book the shuttle bus to Eielson. Nice bonus- cost a fraction of your refund, with the superior option to see and do more, including a ranger hike, if of interest?

I truly meant- I hope you enjoy your mainland visit. Maybe return independent next time.

Alrighty, feeling overwhelmed now, as we're running out of time for planning...

What is "TWT"?

If we don't do the Princess Lake Byers paddle excursion, what other options do we have at Mt McKinley (though I will take your advice and stay in Talkeetna as long as possible)?

As far as Denali... only one day there. What do you suggest there that we can do on our own in an afternoon?

As far as the Jeep goes, it's just a preference... about the same price as a car.

Edited by shandean

you really don't need a tour in Ketchikan. but thy have some fun tours there.. like DUCK tour and we ro gig Geo Caching.. but you can walk the town and see a lot.. get past the docks away from the typical caribean jewlrey stores.. you can take a bus to Saxamns village or the other way to Bright totem park.. i did the research.. if you want to see Misty Frjords you will need a tour and they are pricey since a plane will be inolved.

you do not hav to buy tours from the ship.. many local tour operators are right there at the dock berth 3 i think.. i did that research to.. Since calling Alaska is free and i have talked to a few on the phone..

Same thing in Juneau and Skagway.. unless u o to the Yukon you do need a tour, but you can buy one at the dock cheaper than the ship.. whale watching yu shold research.. not all whale watches are equal .. you can get a bus to Mendenhall cheap.. and walk to Mt Roberts and the town of juneau for free.. they have trolly for cheap to.. anything that involves a plane is costly;)

Thank you... I will look into an independent whale watching expedition in Juneau!

We have a similar cruise itinerary as to you, and seem to have some shared interests. :)

We have a 4-door Jeep rented in Skagway. A car or small SUV would've been a cheaper option, but those in my party were willing to splurge because apparently a Jeep sounded more fun. Plus, we plan to drive down to Dyea after returning from Emerald Lake.

In Juneau we rented a car and plan to see several sites including the fish hatchery, Shrine of St Therese, Mendenhall and Eagle Beach, if there's time.

In Ketchikan we just plan to walk around Creek Street, maybe take the bus to one of the parks, and my husband wants to see the Lumberjack show so we might get tickets for that too. We aren't in Kethikan very long, but from everything I've read here it seems to be a city you can do on your own if you aren't sightseeing by plane.

Your Denali timeline sounds great, and I wish I could be of some help in Vancouver but we'll only be there one day before our cruise so we're probably just going to get tickets to one of those hop-on, hop-off bus tours to see and enjoy the most of the city we can.

Have fun! Don't stress! :)

We have a similar cruise itinerary as to you, and seem to have some shared interests. :)

We have a 4-door Jeep rented in Skagway. A car or small SUV would've been a cheaper option, but those in my party were willing to splurge because apparently a Jeep sounded more fun. Plus, we plan to drive down to Dyea after returning from Emerald Lake.

In Juneau we rented a car and plan to see several sites including the fish hatchery, Shrine of St Therese, Mendenhall and Eagle Beach, if there's time.

In Ketchikan we just plan to walk around Creek Street, maybe take the bus to one of the parks, and my husband wants to see the Lumberjack show so we might get tickets for that too. We aren't in Kethikan very long, but from everything I've read here it seems to be a city you can do on your own if you aren't sightseeing by plane.

Your Denali timeline sounds great, and I wish I could be of some help in Vancouver but we'll only be there one day before our cruise so we're probably just going to get tickets to one of those hop-on, hop-off bus tours to see and enjoy the most of the city we can.

Have fun! Don't stress! :)

Thank you! Enjoy your trip as well! Question for you: Looking into renting a car in Juneau and it looks like there is not a rental agency close to the port, making a $50 taxi ride to get the car necessary. Are you finding that as well?

Will google Dyea. :)

We did all cruise excursions on our first cruise, which was to Alaska. We enjoyed all of them. Then for our second cruise to the Mediterranean, we booked almost all independent excursions and they were mind-blowingly better than those with the ship. Basically you get to see and experience twice as much, with far fewer people, for either the same price or less.

Best resource is to check out TripAdvisor.com for the city, click on things to do, tours. Every time I have taken a highly recommended tour listed there, it was amazing.

Sandy

Your son may be at an age that he thinks the lumberjack show it too corny. Some of it caters to the young (younger than your son). While people of all ages attend, I found it pretty silly and would not attend again.

Have you looked into the Deadliest Catch excursion in Ketchikan? That would interest a 12 year old.

Thank you! Enjoy your trip as well! Question for you: Looking into renting a car in Juneau and it looks like there is not a rental agency close to the port, making a $50 taxi ride to get the car necessary. Are you finding that as well?

Avis is available, at the Goldbelt, and the independent, Juneau Car Rental, is also downtown.

Alrighty, feeling overwhelmed now, as we're running out of time for planning...

What is "TWT"?

If we don't do the Princess Lake Byers paddle excursion, what other options do we have at Mt McKinley (though I will take your advice and stay in Talkeetna as long as possible)?

As far as Denali... only one day there. What do you suggest there that we can do on our own in an afternoon?

As far as the Jeep goes, it's just a preference... about the same price as a car.

Tundra Wilderness tour- I see, you are on the On your own tour- which probably doesn't have anything included at Denali? Or does it? Vital information. Otherwise, it is NOT enough, just to "go" to Denali- you HAVE to get into it, in my opinion. I recommend the Eielson shuttle bus. Post your itinerary along with modes of transit if you want more information.

I dont mean to jump on the bandwagon here.. But could Budget Queen tell me if kayaking in the Bay in Seward is as nice as Juneau.. i dont think i have time t kayak in Juneau.. but we want to try it..

We are 3 days in Seward. and did not think we shod try doing Denali.. were told that Seward has lot so nice stuff but would like to see a moose.. Can she tell me if Kenai fjord is pretty much the same as other glaciers? We are missing Glacier Bay NP but our ship does go to Sawyer Glacier

Edited by squeeky336

We reserved our car through Avis and the address for pickup is in the Goldbelt Hotel, which doesn't look too far a walk.

I did some searching on this site about Dyea and the reviews seem mixed. Not a lot there still, but the history is intriguing. The lady I spoke with from Green Jeeps mentioned they give you the maps and guide for Dyea and the road to Emerald Lake. It was, however, $60 more than the rental car. :/