Flam options

• 2 months later...

More questions.

What kind of seating is on the train?

Is there a place to stand to view?

Restrooms?

We will connect to the train to voss, has anyone done that?

This is a celebrity cruise excursion will there be a guide?

Edited by happy cruzer

I would say the right hand side was the most scenic apart from a few places. I would even consider riding the train twice!

Once there and back to take in the views and the second time there and back to take photos!

Seating is forward and backward facing.

You can stand in some places to take photos out of the window.

There are restrooms on the train.

DIY the ticket - very easy and just turn up with your confirmation printed!

Thanks for the replies. Since we waited too late to book online we have bought the ships excursion which is very pricey and we want to enjoy it. Seats are not assigned so we may end up standing to get some of view but that's ok.

I read Kikki's review and it really gets one in the mood for Norway.

Thanks to all.

I couldn't tell if either side was better. However, I will say that we did a fjord cruise and the Flam train ride together, and I liked the fjord cruise better. The views were a lot alike. The train ride had a few extras, though, like a little showmanship, up-close with a waterfall, and snow in Myrdal.

• 10 months later...

From the Chicago Tribune yesterday, they had this headline: "Norway in a nutshell, from fiords to mountaintops" with a number highlights, including for the massive waterfall, Kjosfossen, that is along the route of this famed Flam railway adventure.

Here are some other highlights: "The somewhat surreal experience unfolded riding on the Flamsbana or Flam Railway, often ranked as one of Europe's most beautiful train journeys. Opened in 1940, the rail line starts in Flam, a small village at the edge of the Sognefjord, the second longest fiord in the world. The ride begins at sea level and chugs up into the mountains, through 20 different tunnels blasted into the rock, until it reaches nearly 3,000 feet an hour later. It's a spectacular excursion on one of the planet's steepest railways." The writer took a bike up for the rail trip and then did the ride back down to the sea-level town of Flam. She also detailed other "Norway in a Nutshell" adventure options in this amazing part of the world.

For more ideas on Flam and along this scenic coast, check out my live/blog. It just went over 200,000 views!! These postings and pictures are now six years old, but clearly the beauty and amazement for these sights along the spectacular Norway coast has not changed. Glad that so many have dropped by, asked good question, shared additional comments/insights, etc. Keep it coming!! It was a great and fun trip with wonderful fellow passengers and a great crew on this exciting journey.

Full story at:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/sc-norway-in-a-nutshell-travel-0712-20160705-story.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 200,082 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi - I'm in my early 30s - I'm wondering if it would be possible to avoid the train madness and just hike up and down?

If so, how long would this take, as I'm arriving and leaving on the same day on a cruiseship.

Also - where's the best place to get my hands on maps etc for this?

If I do take the train - is it seating only, or do some people stand?

Hi - I'm in my early 30s - I'm wondering if it would be possible to avoid the train madness and just hike up and down? If so, how long would this take, as I'm arriving and leaving on the same day on a cruiseship. Also - where's the best place to get my hands on maps etc for this? If I do take the train - is it seating only, or do some people stand?

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards by doing your first post here. Lots of good and helpful people here on these boards.

You asked a number of good questions. Yes, in some ways, hiking here is "possible". BUT, is it "time-efficient" in this super scenic area whether your net amount of time in this port is very, very limited??

You mentioned "train madness". Maybe? Maybe not? Much depends for Flam about how many ships will be in port on that day you are here. There might one or two smaller ships there while you are in port for that one day. It could, however, be two, three or four larger ships in Flam for that one day. The number of passengers can vary and that does make a potential difference for what you do here and how you approach your options. Weather can be another variable that could affect your choices for what works out best.

HIKING?: Clearly you love doing this activity. Great! Personally, we did the rail trip up and back. It worked super well for us and we loved the sights and overall experience. The routes for hike, driving and/or biking would be different. Do not know the time it take to walk up and down. I would suggest doing the train up and back, but you would then have more time to do a variety of the different hiking trails up at the "top" near the hotel. We did that exploring "around" up there and it worked very well.

Below shows the interior of the train car. Yes, everyone has a seat. Personally, I did some moving around in order to get getter pictures, on both sides, out the windows of the rail car, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 148,369 views for this posting.

From our early July 2010, here is one of my pictures showing the interior of the passenger cars when doing the Flam rail adventure.::

FlamTrainInterior.jpg

OK...this may be a silly question...we are riding the train down from Myrdal to Flam, then spending the night in Flam and continuing on the Nutshell route to Bergen the following day.

So if the right side of the train has the best view going from Flam to Myrdal would the left side be best going from Myrdal to Flam?? or would it still be the right? Sorry I am directionally challenged :confused::confused::confused:

Hi - I'm in my early 30s - I'm wondering if it would be possible to avoid the train madness and just hike up and down?

If so, how long would this take, as I'm arriving and leaving on the same day on a cruiseship.

Also - where's the best place to get my hands on maps etc for this?

If I do take the train - is it seating only, or do some people stand?

Last year we caught the train up & cycled back down. Booked it on the Flam railway website, booked a specific train & bikes were ready at the top. Fantastic day, easy (after the 1st very steep mile) cycling with amazing views. Would definitely recommend if you want something a bit different. If you need any more info let me know

Last year we caught the train up & cycled back down. Booked it on the Flam railway website, booked a specific train & bikes were ready at the top. Fantastic day, easy (after the 1st very steep mile) cycling with amazing views. Would definitely recommend if you want something a bit different. If you need any more info let me know

We are doing this trip In a couple of weeks, we have booked it as an excursion with the cruise company, do you get to come down on the bike independently at our own pace or is there a guide with you? I really want to take our time to drink in the scenery rather than be just another tour group being rushed round.

We are doing this trip In a couple of weeks, we have booked it as an excursion with the cruise company, do you get to come down on the bike independently at our own pace or is there a guide with you? I really want to take our time to drink in the scenery rather than be just another tour group being rushed round.

We came down on our own. It took about 21/2 hours but booked it independently, when I looked at it as a shore excursions it was guided tour. Maybe look at cancelling & re-booking independently. Bike hire will be exactly the same as there is only 1 cafe in Myrdl. I booked through the flam railway website & there were loads of bikes at the cafe then just leave them at a hut on the platform at the bottom. ImageUploadedByForums1467927811.386091.jpg.960a499f81f9aebf970805bc5299a493.jpg

If you've time when you get back into town you must visit Flam brewery. A fab little bar selling its own beer (not cheap) very relaxed. I could have stayed in there all night, we brought some beer back with us, it was lovely.

I only have a couple of photos on my phone but it gives you an idea of the scenery

ImageUploadedByForums1467927795.557765.jpg.bad227eeddabb3581b46a0e48a90f812.jpg

THANKYOU for your advice, we are both teetotal so brewery trips not our thing😖But thanks for showing the pics, can't wait now! It's our very first cruise apparently it won't be our last according to everyone we speak to.

• 2 weeks later...

I know several people who have done the train up and bike down. It is about 30 miles...going both ways or even one way hiking in one day will be a challenge unless you are a marathon runner! Look at the bike option.

The train people were very lax and you could take a later train if you wanted to. Someone on our cruise booked through the Norwegian train site rather than the flam info site and they were able to get a later return time so they walked down a couple of stations and met the train later.

If you do the train, which was good, try and get a middle carriage and a window seat.

We hired a little electric Renault car and drove up to the famous viewpoint of the fjord ... It was so much fun and for 2 people worked out as a similar price to the bus (if you negotiate), highly recommend

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk