Civitavecchia to Rome Airport (FCO) transportation

judgers

We will be arriving on Princess Emerald on a Saturday and have flight leaving Rome airport at 12:50 pm. I would appreciate any suggestions on the best and most cost effective transportation available. Ship transfer, train or private van? Thanks

If you are flying on a US-branded airline (American, Delta, United, US Air) directly to the States you must be at Terminal 5 three hours prior to your flight time, or 9:50 AM. If you have a connecting flight with a first stop somewhere in Europe you don't need to be at the airport until 10:50 AM.

The train is the most cost effective method of transit but it takes the most time and has the greatest number of moving parts. You have to (1) get from your ship to the port exit via shuttle bus; (2) travel one mile from the port exit to the train station either by public bus or on foot; (3) travel by train from Civitavecchia to Rome Trastevere; (4) change trains and travel from Rome Trastevere to the airport; and (5) take the shuttle bus from T3 to T5 (if you depart as noted above with a direct flight to the states).

Leaving enough time to get the airport shuttle bus (20 minutes), that means a train that arrives to the airport no later than 9:30 AM. Doing this means getting on a train from Civitavecchia at 7:30 AM, which means getting off the ship between 6:30 -6:45 AM.

I prefer to get to the airport 3 hours before but it is not a requirement to get there that early. Given the recent fire at FCO it's a good idea to get there early though and like several airports around the world including some in the USA, FCO can be a bit chaotic.

My recommendation is to have a private car waiting for you.

We have used Rome Cabs (they are a private service not a taxi service) and their web site is http://www.romecabs.com

There are other services too.

Book sooner rather than later as they fill up.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
We will be arriving on Princess Emerald on a Saturday and have flight leaving Rome airport at 12:50 pm. I would appreciate any suggestions on the best and most cost effective transportation available. Ship transfer, train or private van? Thanks

HI,

I just used allarounditaly (Fabrizio Melaragno) for a transfer and for me this is the most effective way to travel:

http://www.allarounditaly.net/

Hope this helps,

Basically, I agree re: the private transportation ..perhaps the costliest option but also the one over which you have the most control.

I do not know when your disembarkation begins, but if the timing works then you might also check what Princess is offering in terms of motorcoach transfers. There is, of course, some delay while they load the entire coach and peoples' luggage.

These days it seems that one can never e 'too early' at airports !

I agree that a private transfer is the easiest and the safest way to go. If you can get four to six people from your Roll Call to share a transfer that will reduce the cost significantly. We did that (there were six of us) and it was quite reasonable.

Edited by 2pbears

Agree that private transport is the way to go. I HIGHLY recommend Rome Cabs too. They are outstanding. Always on time or ahead of time - waiting for you when you get off the ship. They are also very professional. We have used them about 10 times for both transfers and tours. Will be doing a tour with them again in September. Would not think of using anyone else!

Our trip is round trip from Rome Civi. We get into Civi at 5 am. We have booked a car service (RomeCabs) at 6:00 am. We will be doing self-disembark. Plan to reach FCO by no later than 7 am as we have a 9:55 am United flight. Cost 130 euros but well worth it for peace of mind.

I know there's always a chance you get delayed, but on balance we judged it to be an acceptable risk. In any case, we are in business class so as long as we get there 2 hrs before, we should be OK. And worst case, if we miss the flight, they'll put us on another.

• 3 weeks later...

In April I used http://www.civitavecchiashuttleservices.com and they were excellent.

The manager Anthony speaks English and you can get him on the phone. I organized an 8 passenger van thru our roll call and it came out to 165 Euro + optional tip. This is a great price and there is no hassle involved

The driver was at the port door waiting at 7am as requested. I think that the roll call ordered about 6 vans from them both to FCO and around Rome.

I would definitely use them again and plan to next April

Edited by badatz