Alaska??Juneau,Skagway,Tracy Arm Fjord,Victoria??? your suggestions please!

Galleon1234

Alaska??Juneau,Skagway,Tracy Arm Fjord,Victoria??? your suggestions please!

Cruising out of Seattle on Jewel of the Seas. Would love your advice on the best excursions to do in these ports. We do not care if they are through the ship or through a private company.

4 couples are going together and we are trying to make decisions.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also staying in Seattle at the Mayflower and will have a few hours to explore Seattle... What would you suggest/??

Thanks so much!

My suggestion for a few hours in Seattle is to walk to Pike Market. It's a great place to wander. Original Starbucks is there across the street (just look for the lines), watch them "throw fish" at Pike Place Fish, etc. Also behind the Market is a great place for views. And there are some great restaurants in the area. Some good food places also, such as Beechers Cheese shop, Piroshky Piroshky Bakery for great pirogies. And my favorite, the Crumpet Shop. Love crumpets and local jams. These are across from the Market, but for a nice way to spend a few hours near the hotel, Pike Market area is great. But there are also lots of other options. Really depends on how much time you have.

In Juneau we did whale quest, Orca Lodge, Mendenhall Glacier. Really liked it. Saw lots of whales, lunch was great at the lodge, and had enough time at the glacier to walk down the path and back.

Skagway we did the White Pass railway and then went downtown. Don't miss the Red Onion Saloon.

Just some ideas.

Edited by papaflamingo

We have no idea about your interests or physical ability or budget so it's pretty hard to make meaningful recommendations.

Best suggestion is to RESEARCH and find activities and excursions to support YOUR interests. There are hundreds of excursions available thru your cruiseline .... which appeal to you?

There are travel books specific to Alaska cruises ... Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor has Alaska Ports of Call. Borrow them from your library.

There are about 65 trip reports from last summer posted in a STICKY above. Many are detailed photojournals ... look them over to see what appeals to your group. The reports include info on vendors, activities, sights, and DIY options.

When you narrow your options down to a few at each port, post again for feedback on your choices.

Here's some top 5 excursion ideas. While with another cruise line.... they all have similar port itineries.

e_eMbvWq8lU F4PEcfMK1eY mjOwP2OAuPU

cF1l3vfKWAM RiaOlvSRMAk

In general...

• Juneau.... whale watch & Mendenhall. Time extra will be at Tracy Crab shack
  • Skagway.... White Pass Railway. Combo with Lairsville, Yukon or another side trip.

You may need to go back on a additional trip to do the things missed in port.

Just so you know, Tracy Arm Fjord is not an actual port of call where you get off the ship (contrary to what the website says). You will be cruising in as close to Sawyer Glacier as the Captain can get, turn around, and cruise out again. It takes several hours. When we went in May it was spectacular as there was still a fair amount of snow on the mountains.

We are very active and in our 60's and strong. Asking for personal suggestions from people that have been to these ports recently. What their favorites are.

I have been to Alaska 7 times and have lots of "favorites". This question gets asked, and answered, at least once a week. If you read back through a few pages of this forum, you will find lots of answers to your question.

Once you narrow down your options, come back and ask more specific questions about any tours that interest you. I'm always happy to give detailed answers to specific questions about tours that I have done.

My "favorites" are only going to be a small list of what is available- I'm not going to list them. :) There are 100's of excellent Alaska touring adventures to consider. What you are going to get are the most "popular" tours, helicopter flights, whale watches, floatplanes, White Pass RR,etc. There is much much more.

I will suggest you take a look at some shore excursion lists and narrow down your interests. My touring has no budget limits. Many do- so- determine, what you want to spend.

I will also speculate that 4 people are not going to have the same interests. I don't understand the "group" traveling concept which some seem to have- would also make a difference in choices in that case as well. But I will say- if the opportunity is available to split up- then do so. Tours are too costly to drag along an uninterested person, and too excellent to miss- if the interest.

Just a suggestion- with Tracy Arm- the add on ship tour- is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. If you want to see glacier/s then this add on tour is "necessary" in my opinion.

Just a suggestion - if you decide to do the White Pass Railroad trip, consider taking the van ride up the pass and doing the railroad back down. We did that and it gives you a completely different perspective.

I agree...and use Chikoot Charters as their van is smaller and less people than the trip offered by the ships.

eclue;)