How Hard is it to DIY to Capri from Port of Naples?

BaseballMomof4

I understood that you don't need a wheelchair, it's just that when my mother or my brother are with me I'm focused on the pavement because of the chairs. Unfortunately they've not been to Capri so when I've been there I didn't really pay attention to the terrain the way I would have if they were with me.

A little help please. We will be in Naples in mid-Oct. We would like to go to Capri, as we have been to Naples a few times and have done the Amalfi, Sorrento, etc. Is that considered off-season in Capri?

Thank you

It would be the shoulder season. If you have decent weather we would recommend going for the day.

Hank

What is the cost for the hydrofoil? Bus to Anacapri? Chair lift? We are a family of 4, so it seems it may add up quickly.

Looks like prices vary with the time of day but the high speed ferry is 19.10 euro to 20.50 euro.

The bus and the funicular appear to be 1.80 euro.

Thank you Baseballmom!

We are on similar sailings of the Vista, but you are going a few weeks ahead of me (I'm sailing June 11). I have noticed many of your posts. I would love to know your plans for the Greek ports and Marsielle.

My email is travelteem@bellsouth.net, if you can send me some ideas. I have been on a similar itinerary before, but this time am having difficulty putting it all together.

We will be taking a day trip over to Capri from Sorrento (our pre-cruise destination) in about two weeks. My DH, DS, and DD will want to do the chair lift (DH and I have already done it), but my elderly Mom would like to visit the shops (jewelry and sandals) so I will accompany her. Would you split up and have the chairlift people go off to Anacapri on their own? Or is there shopping up there too? Maybe we could have lunch together in Anacapri and then all head down to Capri Town?

And, where is the best shopping area? Particularly the best sandal making shop - I was in it last time I went but we had a guide that took us right there and I can't remember? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is some shopping in Anacapri but the number of venues are limited when compared to the much more commercial Capri Town. However, there are many of us who do enjoy the more quiet and residential atmosphere of Anacapri. We would suggest splitting-up in Capri Town and arranging to later get together at a pre-arranged time and place. Since it is difficult to accurately predict how long it will take to get up to Anacapri and do the chairlift (plus some time at the top) we would probably allow for 1 1/2 hours minimum with some kind of back-up plan for a half hour later.

Hank

Hello All!

I've searched the boards, but trying to find a specific answer to no avail! So we are cruising Allure on Oct. 4th. Our hope was to take a private/semi-private boat from Naples port to Capri, but doesn't seem like I can find one. So our next option will be to take the fast boat to Capri. Once there, we would like to take a boat tour around the island, one that goes into the Blue Grotto (if open), see other grottos, etc. After we are dropped back off in Capri, we will do AnaCapri, Mt. Solaro, etc. Then take the fast boat back to Naples port.

Here comes my question :)....

Last year, we stayed in Positano, and we reserved a semi private boat (12 people) right at the beach in Positano. Just up a few steps from the beach, there were a couple restaurants, and a long path that lead to our B&B. Along this path were tons of restaurants and shops. I would love to be able to take our friends there, but is there a way to do this during our Capri excursion? If so, what and how would be the most cost and time effective way to do this? Our ship is in the is docked from 7am to 8pm.

FYI Last year we took a private boat from the Positano beach I spoke of above, and it was the greatest experience of our entire trip. They provided soft drinks, limoncello, fruit, other snacks, etc. Unfortunately they only take out of Positano, and they leave early in the morning :(

Oh, and another question...is there one company at the Capri marina that anyone would recommend? I loved the fact that the one from last year served us snacks and drinks!!

Thanks a BUNCH!

Me thinks you are biting off more then you can do on a mere port day. So lets talk about your questions. Regarding private boats to Capri, they are not the norm from Naples unless you want to arrange your own charter (which will cost a lot of Euros). It is a pretty long way from Naples to Capri and even the fast hydrofoil/jetboats need about 50 minutes. But tossing in Postiano becomes a logistic nightmare. There are not a lot of fast boats between Positano and Capri and even fewer during the mid day. And Positano is still quite a distance from the port and you have to deal with the logistics of getting back to Naples. My advice is go to Capri for the day, or head to the Amalfi Coast for the day! But do not try both on a port day.

As to the Blue Grotto (assuming it is open the day you are on Capri) there are multiple boat tours you can get right from the same pier where you arrive from Capri. As you walk down the pier there will be signs for various boats. But none of these boats can get you into the Blue Grotto. The boats take you around the island to the Blue Grotto, but you then have to transfer to a small hand rowed boat to get inside the Grotto. Whether you go on a regular tour boat, or you are able to hire your own private boat (which is expensive) you still have to transfer to the small boats at the Grotto....and the guys that run those boats really push for generous tips. The Blue Grotto is truly one of the great tourist traps on earth and is something many visitors have to do once :). DW and I were to Capri about a dozen times before we finally did the trip over to the Grotto. We thought it was a total rip-off, laughed ourselves silly, and loved every minute :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I should have added some info about going to the top of Mt Solaro. While we think that the Blue Grotto is a rip-off, getting to the top of Mt Solaro is one of the best bargains in Italy. I think round trip tickets on the chair lift (from Anacapri to the top of the mountain) are only about 10€. For that you get a very long chair lift (these are open single chairs where your legs/feet dangle about the countryside) to the top with spectacular views. The chairlift is not for those afraid of heights. Getting to Anacapri from Capri Town can easily be accomplished by taking the inexpensive bus or just hiring a taxi.

And finally, do not underestimate the time to do thing on Capri. Going to the Blue Grotto can take well over an hour and then going up to Mt Solaro can easily add another 1 1/2 hours (counting the time to get to Anacapri and some viewing time at the top)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 4 months later...
I should have added some info about going to the top of Mt Solaro. While we think that the Blue Grotto is a rip-off, getting to the top of Mt Solaro is one of the best bargains in Italy. I think round trip tickets on the chair lift (from Anacapri to the top of the mountain) are only about 10€. For that you get a very long chair lift (these are open single chairs where your legs/feet dangle about the countryside) to the top with spectacular views. The chairlift is not for those afraid of heights. Getting to Anacapri from Capri Town can easily be accomplished by taking the inexpensive bus or just hiring a taxi.

And finally, do not underestimate the time to do thing on Capri. Going to the Blue Grotto can take well over an hour and then going up to Mt Solaro can easily add another 1 1/2 hours (counting the time to get to Anacapri and some viewing time at the top)

Hank

Hank:

Hope you had wonderful Holidays!

As the cruise gets closer I wanted to ask if you think we should just go ahead and pre-purchase tickets for the Hydrofoil so we don't have to worry about crowds and/or not getting a seat.

Thanks!

Amy

Hank:

Hope you had wonderful Holidays!

As the cruise gets closer I wanted to ask if you think we should just go ahead and pre-purchase tickets for the Hydrofoil so we don't have to worry about crowds and/or not getting a seat.

Thanks!

Amy

Everyday is a holiday when one is retired :). And thank you for the nice thoughts. Personally, we have never pre-purchased tickets for the hydrofoil (we know some will disagree) and we have our reasons. There are multiple companies running those hydrofoil/jetboats and tickets are not interchangable. Since you cannot possibly be sure when you will get over to the ferry terminal, we simply like to walk over and purchase a ticket on the next hydrofoil/jetboat regardless of operator. And we usually purchase our return ticket on Capri as soon as we arrive. We just stop at the ticket window as we leave the pier, choose the time that meets our fancy, and reserve that return boat (which may or may not be operated by the same company that brought us from Naples). Just make sure you get a return ticket to "Molo Beverello" which is the name of the terminal next to the cruise port. There is another ferry terminal in Naples (Mergellina) which is a few miles from the port...and you should avoid this unless you want to pay for a taxi back to the ship.

Hank

The problem with pre-purchasing tickets for the boat to Capri is that you have no control over whether you will arrive on time or not. To be on the safe side you'd need to purchase a later crossing, which cuts into your time on the island.

It's a tradeoff - the security of having the ticket in advance vs. the risk of arriving too late to use it or the "cost" of a shorter day with a later, safer time.

Edited by euro cruiser

I guess my only concern was the number of people trying to do the exact same thing and getting stuck waiting because the hydrofoils are full.

I guess it is a trade off, although we will only be coming from Messina so it may be a safe bet that we will arrive on time. Guess I will just think it over some more.

Thanks so much!

I went ahead and pre-booked. I chose a trip that leaves at 9:30 a.m. assuming that gives us a little wiggle room as the Vista is supposed to dock at 7:00 a.m. We should arrive Capri at 10:15 a.m.

It was a round trip booking so I chose a 4:30 p.m. departure from Capri figuring that our 5:15 p.m. arrival would give us a few minutes in the terminal before we have to be on board for our 7:00 p.m. departure.

I chose the one the goes to and from Beverello as instructed! And I also paid the 6 euro for insurance in case I have to cancel for any reason ;)

Looks like the final cost for 2 will be around $102.

I went ahead and pre-booked. I chose a trip that leaves at 9:30 a.m. assuming that gives us a little wiggle room as the Vista is supposed to dock at 7:00 a.m. We should arrive Capri at 10:15 a.m.

It was a round trip booking so I chose a 4:30 p.m. departure from Capri figuring that our 5:15 p.m. arrival would give us a few minutes in the terminal before we have to be on board for our 7:00 p.m. departure.

I chose the one the goes to and from Beverello as instructed! And I also paid the 6 euro for insurance in case I have to cancel for any reason ;)

Sounds like you made reasonable choices given your schedule. I had no idea they offered insurance! Good to know...

• 1 month later...

hello Baseballmom: does it say anywhere on the Carnival website where the Vista will dock for sure.., been to Naples twice by cruise ship(RCCL and Carnival) and it was 2 different locations.

hello Baseballmom: does it say anywhere on the Carnival website where the Vista will dock for sure.., been to Naples twice by cruise ship(RCCL and Carnival) and it was 2 different locations.

I'm curious -- what were the two different locations? As far as I knew, Naples only has one port, particularly for large ships such as RCCL and Carnival....

:confused:

Carnival won't tell you but the Port Authority in Naples will. Simply go to the date of your port visit on this calendar and click on the date, the list of ships and their berth assignments will pop up.

http://www.terminalnapoli.it/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=245

Two different locations generally means either the cruise port or near Immacolatella, because the cruise port was full.

in 2008 RCCL, we walked out of the Naples dock and we were near Castel Nuovo, 2nd time 2011 Carnival - still walkable but a much longer walk - we were not anywhere near the Castle -

just checked the link it says Molo-9-10-11??

in 2008 RCCL, we walked out of the Naples dock and we were near Castel Nuovo, 2nd time 2011 Carnival - still walkable but a much longer walk - we were not anywhere near the Castle -

just checked the link it says Molo-9-10-11??

I just google mapped, and it appears the first time I was at Beverello, 2nd time was Immacolatella.