CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I'm challenged - what are lglgbags?

My gut feeling is that you are referring to very large bags, so your only option is to book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo unless you are willing to explore the public transit world.

Carol

Any info when the parking garage will be ready.

Dick

Carol

Any info when the parking garage will be ready.

Dick

I don't have any recent updates. Perhaps someone who has been there recently knows something or has pictures. I know they've made amazing progress since June 18 when it was an empty lot.

I don't have any recent updates. Perhaps someone who has been there recently knows something or has pictures. I know they've made amazing progress since June 18 when it was an empty lot.

There is still quite a bit of work to be done. The shell is up but no roadway into the building. It doesn't look like anything inside either. My best guess is it will be ready for the Anthem. The shell itself was all pre-fab, so it went up in a snap.

If I'm not mistaken, there appears to be a picture of the new garage here: Images for cape liberty parking garage

To avoid any potential copyright issues, I didn't want to post the image here. The picture, taken from a balcony, shows the garage and part of the new terminal. When the mouse is over the image, "236 x 173 - pinterest.com" appears. The garage looks nice.

Hello All!

I posted awhile back about booking a hotel in Newark (thanks for the input) and have made the decision of:

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, Elizabeth

Arriving in Newark Wednesday January 13, 2016 - staying 2 nights

Boarding Anthem of the Seas on January 15

I have been reading all the posts but am just hoping for clarification on the best way of getting from the hotel to the pier. There are just two of us, but we will have large suitcases, so i am not sure multiple transit boardings would work...but i guess it all comes down to cost :)

For sightseeing I am hoping to see the statue of liberty.

Any suggestions on transit to the location from our hotel if i purchase tickets off the website?

Any suggestions for other sites that would not be too complicated to get to?

Thanks very much in advance

Happy Cruising!

Brenna

Forgive me if this has been mentioned multiple times already, I'm still reading thru all the messages here. :) But have you looked at the Embassy Suites Newark Airport ? Looks like they have a park and cruise deal with a hotel-port shuttle. I think they have an airport shuttle as well

I've been looking for a post cruise hotel for my Sept 3, 2016 Anthem 5n cruise (yah, I know it early, but I'm just SO excited! (and obsessed :D). Still figuring it the travel what-its. Is it better/cheaper/easier to drive or fly or Amtrak from Southern, NH/Boston? I'm hoping to stay a day after and do the tourist thing/look up where the G-Grandparents came in at Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Ah, well, still loads of time for planning.

Smiles,

:) VG

Looking Forward to:

Disney Magic Oct 14, 2015

Anthem of the Seas Sept 3, 2016

Happy Memories:

Carnival Ecstasy (HL Clan Cruise II) Nov 1998

Royal Caribbean Viking Serenade (HL Clan Cruise III) Nov 1999

Forgive me if this has been mentioned multiple times already, I'm still reading thru all the messages here. :) But have you looked at the Embassy Suites Newark Airport ? Looks like they have a park and cruise deal with a hotel-port shuttle. I think they have an airport shuttle as well

I've been looking for a post cruise hotel for my Sept 3, 2016 Anthem 5n cruise (yah, I know it early, but I'm just SO excited! (and obsessed :D). Still figuring it the travel what-its. Is it better/cheaper/easier to drive or fly or Amtrak from Southern, NH/Boston? I'm hoping to stay a day after and do the tourist thing/look up where the G-Grandparents came in at Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Ah, well, still loads of time for planning.

Smiles,

:) VG

Looking Forward to:

Disney Magic Oct 14, 2015

Anthem of the Seas Sept 3, 2016

Happy Memories:

Carnival Ecstasy (HL Clan Cruise II) Nov 1998

Royal Caribbean Viking Serenade (HL Clan Cruise III) Nov 1999

If you drive, the best park/sleep deal will likely be Trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza with 21 days parking and round trip port transportation. You can drive to Liberty State Park and park for $7 while you go to Ellis Island and the SOL.

Edited by 138east

Can anyone tell me if the bridge (rt440, I believe) to Cape Liberty from exit 14a on the NJ turnpike is or will be closed and what the detour around it will be. Is it hard to navigate? We will be going there on Sept. 24th. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Gwen :)

Can anyone tell me if the bridge (rt440, I believe) to Cape Liberty from exit 14a on the NJ turnpike is or will be closed and what the detour around it will be. Is it hard to navigate? We will be going there on Sept. 24th. Thanks for any info you can give me.

There is ongoing construction at exit 14A. You never know day to day what the extent will be, but so far delays have been minimal, and the bridge that takes you to Rt440 has never been closed. (At least not yet). You will see signs directing you to the port at the exit.

There is ongoing construction at exit 14A. You never know day to day what the extent will be, but so far delays have been minimal, and the bridge that takes you to Rt440 has never been closed. (At least not yet). You will see signs directing you to the port at the exit.

Thanks, we have been there many times, but would not know an alternative way on our own. We are leaving in plenty of time, just in case of any traffic problems. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again.

We are coming from interstate 78.

Edited by cruzinlady1947

First time from Cape Liberty. It's a pleasure. Both arriving and departing. We were on Celebrity Summit. Arrived at port at 10:30 am. On board at 10:45 am. Disembarkation last numbers were called at 9:00. Customs very well organized. Texted hubby he was in waiting area and found him right away. Thanks for all the hints

First time from Cape Liberty. It's a pleasure. Both arriving and departing. We were on Celebrity Summit. Arrived at port at 10:30 am. On board at 10:45 am. Disembarkation last numbers were called at 9:00. Customs very well organized. Texted hubby he was in waiting area and found him right away. Thanks for all the hints

Glad it worked out so well for you. Hope you had a great cruise!

Hey all,

Here we go again!!

Since the previous thread was soooo long, I am starting anew!

Feel free to ask your Cape Liberty and even NYC questions here!

Now that we have Quantum, and soon Liberty and then Anthem, not to mention Summit for a while, and a couple stops by Serenade, things should remain busy!!

Hi, I am sailing on the Anthem from Port Liberty in Oct. 2016. I will be driving so I need a safe place to park my car. I have read the other comments on this but did not see any for parking at Newark Airport and taking shuttle/taxi to ship. Does anyone have info on this or any ideas? Thank you.

Hi, I am sailing on the Anthem from Port Liberty in Oct. 2016. I will be driving so I need a safe place to park my car. I have read the other comments on this but did not see any for parking at Newark Airport and taking shuttle/taxi to ship. Does anyone have info on this or any ideas? Thank you.

I would tell anyone to park at Cape Liberty itself. It is $19 a day. There is no reason to leave your car at the airport and take a shuttle. It would probably end up being more expensive.

Glad it worked out so well for you. Hope you had a great cruise!

Thanks. Mom is an Elite on Royal and Celebrity reciprocates status if any loyal royals want to check it out. Both Captain Leo and the first female Captain on Celebrity and a U.S. Based ship, Captain Kate, came to Cruise Critic party, plus the Cruise Director. CC folks have the juice :-)

Please provide more details. Are you staying precruise at Newark airport? How many people? Exact cruise date?

The previous poster is correct. By the time you pay to park somewhere at EWR and pay $55-65 each way for a taxi, you can pay to park at the port. Cape Liberty does not work the same way as the Florida ports. RCL will offer transfers from the airport for $28.50/pp each way. There really are no shuttles from the airport to the port. There are two park/sleep/cruise packages we recommend at Country Inns and Embassy Suites. We also recommend a Trinityreservations.com cruise package at the Ramada Plaza.

Howdy,

Nice to see so much good information. Thanks to all.

I just booked Carmellimo to go from Port Liberty to my hotel on Wall Street after the cruise.

Somewhat pricey...but I just wanna get in the car and arrive at the hotel. No walkin.....no trains....no busses...no hassle. The tolls jack up the price.

Happy travels,

Dan

Howdy,

Nice to see so much good information. Thanks to all.

I just booked Carmellimo to go from Port Liberty to my hotel on Wall Street after the cruise.

Somewhat pricey...but I just wanna get in the car and arrive at the hotel. No walkin.....no trains....no busses...no hassle. The tolls jack up the price.

Happy travels,

Dan

What are you paying to go to Wall Street? It's always nice for folks to know current prices.

Which Conuntry Inn and are you saying they will transfer you from hotel to pier? Is there any catches like you have to park there?

Are you on the rogue Princess cruise that is docking at Cape Liberty? If so, could you provide more details about what you are looking for? Exact dates. Budget. Number of people, etc.

No I am looking for a cruise that I am doing on Celebrity. Someone posted a Country inn will do the transport for $17.50...am curious which transport they meant and which Country Inn. I found one in Elizabeth we are thinking of staying at but don't remember seeing anything on their site about a transfer to or from hotel and pier. So if this is something special only for people who drive in and park, sleep cruise or if they do this transport to cruise terminal for all.

No I am looking for a cruise that I am doing on Celebrity. Someone posted a Country inn will do the transport for $17.50...am curious which transport they meant and which Country Inn. I found one in Elizabeth we are thinking of staying at but don't remember seeing anything on their site about a transfer to or from hotel and pier. So if this is something special only for people who drive in and park, sleep cruise or if they do this transport to cruise terminal for all.

Yes, Elizabeth. The Elizabeth Country Inn and Suites is the only one near Cape Liberty. The next closest is in Queens in NY City.

They do advertise both a Park/Sleep/Cruise package and a Sleep/Cruise package on their website: http://www.countryinns.com/offers/7330480 . It's a touch confusing because the heading on the page says "New York Cruise Packages", but then says "Bon Voyage from Cape Liberty" .

I believe others have said you can buy Cape Liberty transfers from the hotel without actually booking a package, but I can't confirm it from personal experience.

Yes, Elizabeth. The Elizabeth Country Inn and Suites is the only one near Cape Liberty. The next closest is in Queens in NY City.

They do advertise both a Park/Sleep/Cruise package and a Sleep/Cruise package on their website: http://www.countryinns.com/offers/7330480 . It's a touch confusing because the heading on the page says "New York Cruise Packages", but then says "Bon Voyage from Cape Liberty" .

I believe others have said you can buy Cape Liberty transfers from the hotel without actually booking a package, but I can't confirm it from personal experience.

Oh that is great. That is the hotel we were going to stay at as my DH work offers a discounted rate there. We were going to get a car service to take us to the port...but if they do it I know for a fact that price quoted of $17.50pp was cheaper than if we booked the car service. I will for sure check into that before we book the service. I thought I saw one but it kept saying hotel to pier and pier to hotel.. I thought I don't want to haul my luggage from ship to hotel then hotel to airport so I moved on...but will check out the one-way service. ;)