Best place for food in Ketchikan, Alaska

sleepless

Where would I find the best local food in Ketchikan?

We will be in port on a Sunday in July of 2016 We are looking for a place for lunch, near the dock or near Creek Street for a sampling of local foods. We would be interested in halibut, crab or salmon.

Thanks.

We personally enjoy Burger Queen - a little hole in the wall just past the tunnel. THE best fish and chips we've ever had - the halibut was so fresh and delicious, it melts in your mouth! And their milkshakes don't suck either!;)

We've also had lunch at the Cape Fox Lodge - took the funicular up the mountain for the spectacular views of the port area. Excellent clam strips and seafood chowder. DH enjoyed the oysters as well. Then we walked out back of the lodge to see the impressive array of Totem poles, and walked back down to town on the Married Man's Trail to Creek Street. Very nice!

Edited by Assateague Island Princes

We personally enjoy Burger Queen - a little hole in the wall just past the tunnel. THE best fish and chips we've ever had - the halibut was so fresh and delicious, it melts in your mouth! And their milkshakes don't suck either!;)

We've also had lunch at the Cape Fox Lodge - took the funicular up the mountain for the spectacular views of the port area. Excellent clam strips and seafood chowder. DH enjoyed the oysters as well. Then we walked out back of the lodge to see the impressive array of Totem poles, and walked back down to town on the Married Man's Trail to Creek Street. Very nice!

What is the "funicular"?

A funicular is kind of like a tram or cable car that goes up the side of the mountain on rails. Google it for Ketchikan and you can see photos of it. I think it is $2 for a 2 minute (if that) ride to the top.

Thanks for the info about the funicular and the hotel restaurant for lunch. Both look fun and interesting. We will be sure take the funicular when we go on our cruise.

Just make sure you check Burger Queen's schedule of days/times open...would hate for you to get there and their closed....it's happened.

Thanks for the info about the funicular and the hotel restaurant for lunch. Both look fun and interesting. We will be sure take the funicular when we go on our cruise.

You can also try the Alaska Fish House right next to the lumberjack show...very good halibut & chips.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why, but the funicular was not running when we were there.

• 3 months later...
We always go to

Annabelle's Famous Keg and Chowder House

right across from the docks.

I am looking into going here when in Ketchikan this summer, do you recall what time dinner is served? (we definitely want to order some crab and I saw it is only on the dinner menu)

I am in port from 2 pm until 8:30 pm, but would prefer to eat sooner rather than later (in case of delay or unforeseen circumstances)

I am looking into going here when in Ketchikan this summer, do you recall what time dinner is served? (we definitely want to order some crab and I saw it is only on the dinner menu)

I am in port from 2 pm until 8:30 pm, but would prefer to eat sooner rather than later (in case of delay or unforeseen circumstances)

We feasted on wonderful king crab legs and fish-and-chips for lunch at Annabelle's a couple of years ago! Also enjoyed the atmosphere in the historic Gilmore Hotel.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/Annabelles-restaurant.html

scoot over and quit hogging this booth. are you going to eat all those fries?

Well wash your hands and clean your fingernails and I'll share....the fries that is....the booth never, it's mine ....do you understand, it's all mine.

:D

When I visited Ketchikan, a friend of mine who lives there advised eating on the ship.

When I visited Skagway, a friend of mine who lives there took me to a fantastic seafood place and disadvised eating on the ship.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant?

It was probably the Skagway fish company when you were in Skagway.

We just went to a local fund raiser there last night and the fish and chips were real halibut and real potatoes, and yes there was some sharing of the fries....

And then there is burger queen which is thankfully protected by spell check:eek:

Dine there and dash and beware of bad companions....

DD

Without a doubt, Annabelle's is the best.....go early as the line goes out the door as you get closer to noon.

We will be there in two weeks - my husband talks about their clam chowder all year long!

eclue:rolleyes:

It was probably the Skagway fish company when you were in Skagway.

We just went to a local fund raiser there last night and the fish and chips were real halibut and real potatoes, and yes there was some sharing of the fries....

And then there is burger queen which is thankfully protected by spell check:eek:

Dine there and dash and beware of bad companions....

DD

Putter? I believe DyeaDave just spanked you.

In KTN, the view from the Cape Fox restaurant is the best. Even on a soggy day I've always enjoyed it. It's open and light and you're going to ride the funicular to see the totems so you're already there. I am the only one that can make a better fish chowder than theirs.

Annabelles is a very solid restaurant and very convenient to the waterfront. The staff will be pleasant and the food will be okay. Nothing really excitable. No view.

If the OED had pictures and you looked up American Cafe, there would be a photo of the Pioneer. The view here is people watching. The menu is pretty Alaskan standard but there are some inspired items if you look. They really care about their food and it's good but you're not going to get a rose on your table.

But if you're tired of eating trendy hipster healthy food, there's Burger Queen. A great hamburger joint but limited seating so you may have to take your food across the street to the Arctic Bar that has a waterfront view.

Just make sure you check Burger Queen's schedule of days/times open...would hate for you to get there and their closed....it's happened.

I was concerned about that myself considering I'll be there on a Sunday. So I called them to ask if they'll still be closed on Sundays and Mondays when the cruise ships come to town. I was told they'll be open! :)