Cave Tubing and Snorkeling?

CozGurl

I thought I read a thread or went to a tour website where you could cave tube and snorkel all in the same day. Does anyone know if I'm remembering correctly? It might have been a private sort of company. Can't believe I didn't book mark the link/site/thread.

Help?:confused:

I can't imagine this being something you could do (not saying it don't exist, just saying that would be kinda scary to try both). You factor in the 20-25 minute tender ride over to the port (and of course back at least 1/2 hour before ship departs). Then it's an hour ride one way to the caves for cave tubing (then of course the hour ride back).

I'm attaching a map to show you where the City of Belize is located (which is where the tenders will come in) and then the area where cave tubing is. (Which is no where close to any beach/ocean for snorkeling).

belize%20map-L.jpg

Now you will see tours that offer the cavetubing AND zip lining. This is do-able because the zip lining is right there around the property too.

Also, please remember that people that are vacationing there in Belize also do tours, so it's possible that what you seen might have been a tour offers to people staying in Belize as a day excursion (with longer hours and not on a time limit).

I hope this helps. :)

It does help. Thanks.

I just can't decide whether we should snorkel or cave tube. Is there no place near the ship to snorkel then? I don't want to miss great snorkeling, yet cave tubing seems to be something offered only in Belize.

Ugh!

It does help. Thanks.

I just can't decide whether we should snorkel or cave tube. Is there no place near the ship to snorkel then? I don't want to miss great snorkeling, yet cave tubing seems to be something offered only in Belize.

Ugh!

Not around Belize City unless you go out to the Cayes where the reef is. Can't do both. We have tubing here in Texas and I do that a lot so I always pick the reef in Belize. Either one is a lot of fun though.

Yeah, I can't stand missing the snorkeling. We have "floating" here at home which is kind of the same as tubing except we don't do it through caves.

Maybe we'll like Belize enough to come back for a week or so and we'll tube then.

Now I just have to choose a snorkel tour!

Thanks.

Shark Ray Alley and Island. Amazing. You can book it through the cruise line. Coral Breeze has it as well and it also takes you to Coral Gardens as well as the great Hol Chan Reserve. Caye Caulker is the island and it is my favorite island in Belize. Cool, funky fishing village type of island.

We just came home from Western Caribbean yesterday and did Butts-Up cave tubing while in Belize. I cannot possibly say enough nice things about BU and Big John and the crew. It was hard work for us out-of-shape 50-somethings to hike through the rain forest to the beginning of the tubing site but the guide stayed with us and took great care of us all the way and then, of course, the float back down made it all worth it. Caves were neat, jungle was beautiful and the water was refreshing. We stopped for lunch on the way back. The tamale was included but the drinks cost extra. They were a bargain though - 3 bucks for a rum, pineapple and coconut punch and some good local beer.

I will warn you that the tamale was more "authentic" than we are used to. It was large and the flavor was great but they use whole pieces of chicken - bones and all. You just have to be careful and look as you dig through it with your fork. It was worth the effort to me.

But we areally not interested in snorkeling and I see you are and my snorkeling friends say the reef off Belize is one of the best so you probably can't go wrong with that. But do come back some day and visit Butts-Up.

Shark Ray Alley and Island. Amazing. You can book it through the cruise line. Coral Breeze has it as well and it also takes you to Coral Gardens as well as the great Hol Chan Reserve. Caye Caulker is the island and it is my favorite island in Belize. Cool, funky fishing village type of island.

I have read up so much on Shark Ray Alley and I am disappointed to not see this as an option on our cruise in November. The only snorkeling excursion is Barrier Reef snorkeling and goes to "Water Caye"

In your opinion is it easy to book with a vendor not connected to Princess? Being a "tender" port I typically book ship excursions due to the guarantee of getting back to the ship on time but everywhere else we tend to book locals instead.

Really want to swim with the sharks but not sure how to do that or who to book with - thoughts?

Thanks for all your helpful information

Cindi

We just came home from Western Caribbean yesterday and did Butts-Up cave tubing while in Belize. I cannot possibly say enough nice things about BU and Big John and the crew. It was hard work for us out-of-shape 50-somethings to hike through the rain forest to the beginning of the tubing site but the guide stayed with us and took great care of us all the way and then, of course, the float back down made it all worth it. Caves were neat, jungle was beautiful and the water was refreshing. We stopped for lunch on the way back. The tamale was included but the drinks cost extra. They were a bargain though - 3 bucks for a rum, pineapple and coconut punch and some good local beer.

I will warn you that the tamale was more "authentic" than we are used to. It was large and the flavor was great but they use whole pieces of chicken - bones and all. You just have to be careful and look as you dig through it with your fork. It was worth the effort to me.

But do come back some day and visit Butts-Up.

Hello

DH wants to try the cave tubing on Belize - was there any concern about getting back to port in time for your tender? We are in port at 7 am and depart at 5 pm which means the last tender will be around 4:15 pm... just a little concerned about getting back in time.

thx

Hello

DH wants to try the cave tubing on Belize - was there any concern about getting back to port in time for your tender? We are in port at 7 am and depart at 5 pm which means the last tender will be around 4:15 pm... just a little concerned about getting back in time.

thx

We made it with plenty of time to get to the tender - even had a few seconds to shop a bit right in front of the dock but not a whole lot. They have been operating for 16 years and have multiple air-conditioned buses so there's always back-up near-by (on the way out we passed at least one parking area where they keep their buses and I think I saw 2 staging areas).

They say they have never once missed a boat. They know when you book what ship you're on and what time it gets in and leaves and they keep a very close watch on that to make sure they get back in time. They were in constant contact with their home base and I felt completely safe the whole way. I was never in doubt they'd make it.

a few pics along the route:

iyn21l.jpg

1o0tuf.jpg

123nv5s.jpg

20p34h2.jpg

I can't imagine this being something you could do (not saying it don't exist, just saying that would be kinda scary to try both). You factor in the 20-25 minute tender ride over to the port (and of course back at least 1/2 hour before ship departs). Then it's an hour ride one way to the caves for cave tubing (then of course the hour ride back).

I'm attaching a map to show you where the City of Belize is located (which is where the tenders will come in) and then the area where cave tubing is. (Which is no where close to any beach/ocean for snorkeling).

belize%20map-L.jpg

Now you will see tours that offer the cavetubing AND zip lining. This is do-able because the zip lining is right there around the property too.

Also, please remember that people that are vacationing there in Belize also do tours, so it's possible that what you seen might have been a tour offers to people staying in Belize as a day excursion (with longer hours and not on a time limit).

I hope this helps. :)

Helpful for me. Thanks.