Auckland Hotels

DW and I are looking into staying 2 nights post cruise in Auckland. We would like to stay somewhere centrally located where we can walk to restaurants and maybe some points of interest (pier, museums, historical sites etc). As a point of comparison we typically stay in Hilton hotels. Are there any places that you recommend that would fit with what we are looking for? We will be traveling in February if that has any impact on location.

I tried to search the forum but couldn't find anything beyond one post discussing the Hilton location.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

You can't get more central than the Hilton in Auckland, it's right in the downtown area, at the end of one of the two cruise wharves. Plenty of good restaurants within an easy walk of the hotel. It's quite a few years since I've stayed there but I recall it being very comfortable. I think there is a HoHo bus stop nearby, and the ferry terminal is right next door if you want to go to Devonport or to Waiheke Island.

You can't get more central than the Hilton in Auckland, it's right in the downtown area, at the end of one of the two cruise wharves. Plenty of good restaurants within an easy walk of the hotel. It's quite a few years since I've stayed there but I recall it being very comfortable. I think there is a HoHo bus stop nearby, and the ferry terminal is right next door if you want to go to Devonport or to Waiheke Island.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if it being at the end of the wharf if it was a good position relative to everything else. Sounds like a keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit, :confused:I just booked the Langham in Auckland. Was wondering if that hotel is convenient to restaurants etc. Also wondering how much a taxi would be from the cruise port to the hotel and the hotel to the airport. Thank you all in advance.

we were at the langham for 3 nights this past Feb. Great service , rooms were fine. Quiet neighborhood with a free shuttle to the busy downtown. walkable to one of the world`s great museums . Cost no bargain but fair value.

Hi-

The Wife & I stayed at the Hilton prior to boarding the Celebrity Solstice a couple years ago. The ship docks right next to the hotel and they actually use part of the hotel for check in and boarding. The property is very centrally located and there is a Hop On/Hop Off stop in front of the Ferry Building.

I am a Diamond Hilton Honors member, was upgraded, had breakfast and used points for the two nights. Not sure if I would have paid as the Hilton can be rather expensive. The Crowne Plaza or Mercure might be better, less expensive options.

Hit, :confused:I just booked the Langham in Auckland. Was wondering if that hotel is convenient to restaurants etc. Also wondering how much a taxi would be from the cruise port to the hotel and the hotel to the airport. Thank you all in advance.

Hi the Langham is a fantastic hotel but is a little far away from restaurants other than fairly cheap and slightly downmarket style asian ones. The hilton at Princess wharf is a fantastic hotel, though if you book an ocean view room be aware that if there is a cruise ship docked then you lose the view you just paid for. Princess wharf is now the secondary wharf, so maybe just check on the Ports of Auckland site, (http://www.poal.co.nz) to see what and where ships are in.

Crown plaza is a good choice though about 10 minutes walk to the berth.

Can i suggest that you investigate Ponsonby if you stay in the CBD. It is a fabulous old heritage suburb about $7 taxi from the hotels and is full of fantastic restaurants and bars set along Ponsonby Road, a suburb that is also a very pleasant walk as well from the city.

regards Roscoe

• 2 months later...

What can anyone tell me about the Sofitel and/or the Sebel in Auckland?

We'd love to stay somewhere with a harbor view and maybe a balcony,but not quite interested in the Hiltons prices. Someplace with access to good casual restaurants on the harbour?

What can anyone tell me about the Sofitel and/or the Sebel in Auckland?

We'd love to stay somewhere with a harbor view and maybe a balcony,but not quite interested in the Hiltons prices. Someplace with access to good casual restaurants on the harbour?

Both the Sofitel and the Sebel are on the edge of the Viaduct Basin and very handy to all the restaurants there, and also in the Wynyard Quarter. I stayed in the Sebel many years ago and it was very nice. I haven't tried the Auckland Sofitel but have stayed in Sofitels elsewhere and, personally, I prefer them to Hiltons.

Both the Sofitel and the Sebel are on the edge of the Viaduct Basin and very handy to all the restaurants there, and also in the Wynyard Quarter. I stayed in the Sebel many years ago and it was very nice. I haven't tried the Auckland Sofitel but have stayed in Sofitels elsewhere and, personally, I prefer them to Hiltons.

Thank you!

Edited by ceba

Duplicate

Edited by ceba