Info wanted on Old Town Trolley tour in Boston

cole'snana

Howdy,

I don't know about the excursion off the ship, but you can purchase your own tickets on-line at

Old Town Trolley

Since they come right down to the cruise ship port with one of their stops, we were considering taking this during our stop in Boston this coming September.

Another option for a HOHO tour is Cityview Trolley, but they don't have a stop at the cruise ship port. But I did find a Groupon for a discount on their tour at

Cityview Trolley Groupon

Have a Blessed Day!

ddaz

GBY

• 2 weeks later...

Boston is a wonderful City with so much to see and explore. Much of it is very close to the cruise port. I would think that the old time trolley would be an excellent way to get a flavor of the City. Do a little research on what type of things you want to see and do and plan accordingly . You can get on and off a various stops to specialize your tour. Enjoy your visit to Beantown

so thnx for yor post ddaz:)

Electra2008

Appreciate the thanks, but the real thanks should go to Baggal who pointed this out to me in a different post. But that is the great thing about this forum, lots of people willing to assist fellow cruisers with their planning issues and concerns.

Have a GREAT trip!

ddaz

GBY

• 2 weeks later...
BTW, if you are on Carnival, book the ship's tour then you can price match to Old Town's pricing. You will 110% of the difference in OBC.

Has anyone actually done this? I noticed that the Old Town Trolley website price was cheaper than Carnival, but I see that there are different stops (the one on the OTT site shows all the stops, but the Carnival one says that this is a "special" route for cruise passengers). I didn't know if Carnival was that picky on comparing apples to apples, so to speak.

Has anyone actually done this? I noticed that the Old Town Trolley website price was cheaper than Carnival, but I see that there are different stops (the one on the OTT site shows all the stops, but the Carnival one says that this is a "special" route for cruise passengers). I didn't know if Carnival was that picky on comparing apples to apples, so to speak.

I was able to successfully able to price match.

I am interested in the Cityview tour, how close is it to the port where Carnival ships dock? I am traveling with my elderly parents, they can walk fairly well, but I am wondering if it is a far walk.

From mapping it on Google Maps, it looks like the CityView booth is quite a long distance away (over a mile). Old Town Trolley is the only one that has a stop at the pier.

You might want to check on the number of ships in Boston on the day your ship is there. One of the earlier threads on this forum indicated taking the trolley was difficult based upon the number of ships that were in port. If you were lucky enough to get on a trolley, they indicated you didn't dare get off because the other trolleys that came by were all full. They had to end up taking a cab back to the ship to make it in time. I think the experience is good if you don't run into those conditions.

Connie

We went on the Trolley tour (Grandeur's shore excursion) and enjoyed it very much. Had a great driver who gave interesting narration. It was not Hop on and Off though, if that's what you are looking for. At the conclusion he dropped those who wanted, off at Quincy Market and took the rest of us back to the ship. After lunch on the ship we walked around the port area - very nice!

• 3 weeks later...
We did this tour on our own in 2012...the bus will pick you up at the dock and return you there as well. We loved the tour and enjoyed walking a bit and then picking it up in different areas...very well marked.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this tour. We and our friends purchased tickets online for our stop in Boston next week. It looked like a great way to see some of the city. I had read on here that the ship sponsored old town trolley tour was not as user friendly (unable to hop on hop off as much) tour so we decided to do this on our own.

Happy Cruising

We are planning on catching the trolley from stop 14- Beacon Hill around 6:30 PM and taking it back to cruise port- which is stop 18 A. Does any one know about how long a ride this is at that time (not getting off between those two stops) and how long the walk is from the trolley stop to the cruise port? And is the area well lit at this time- We'll be in Boston on Oct. 3- have the vouchers for the tickets (got them real cheap on line)---Thanks, Anita

You might want to check on the number of ships in Boston on the day your ship is there. One of the earlier threads on this forum indicated taking the trolley was difficult based upon the number of ships that were in port. If you were lucky enough to get on a trolley, they indicated you didn't dare get off because the other trolleys that came by were all full. They had to end up taking a cab back to the ship to make it in time. I think the experience is good if you don't run into those conditions.

Connie

How is this checked for Boston?

How is this checked for Boston?

Just google it. I'll be in Boston on October 10th so I googled "Boston Cruise Ships October 10" and the second hit was MASSPORT with the schedule for all cruise ships in Boston. The list seems to be all of 2016. I just found October 10th on the list and it shows Regal and Caribbean Princess are both in Boston that day as is another ship Regatta.