Holiday Inn Brooklyn Downtown

magicsoccer

I have asked before, but still looking for better options. We are cruising on Regal Princess Oct 27 out of Brooklyn Terminal. Per some suggestions, I have booked the Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn. The reviews just aren't great and the thought of the always broken elevator scares me.

I am looking for additional suggestions. We are coming 2 days early to sight- see so would like to be close to the subway. We are flying into LGA. I found the Holiday Inn Brooklyn Downtown. The reviews for it look ok. Not sure how easy access it is to cruise terminal and subway. Would like it to be in a safe area also. We have also increased budget, but would like to stay below $300 a night. Any additional thoughts?

In late October, you should be able to find a times square hotel for under $300. Most times square area hotels are relatively similar as long as you stay at one that is 3 star or better. If you are spending a couple nights, midtown is a good place for tourists. Brooklyn and Queens are not as nice to stay in, but you can find a hotel next to the subway for easy access to Manhattan.

The Marriott Brooklyn Bridge area is largely deserted at night, and not very nice. You are walking distance to the lovely Brooklyn Heights neighborhood and you can walk over the bridge if you are in fairly decent shape; there is also good subway access. I'd much prefer to stay in Manhattan, in any neighborhood generally south of 96 Street.

LastMinuteTravel has the La Quinta near Herald Square (Macy's and Empire State) for $214/night ($249 incl tax) cancellable up to 3 days ahead. This is a great location near major subways and has been recommended on this forum by posters who have stayed there multiple times.

This should be affordable within your budget. Don't mess with "fringe" hotels in Brooklyn if you want to explore Manhattan.

In the Long Island City area of Queens, 15 minutes from LGA and 30 minutes from Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - 4 to 6 easy subway stops from Times Square via the #7, N or Q subway lines at Queensboro Plaza station, 1.5 city block from the hotel - I see a nightly rate of $140, fully refundable for 10/25 & 10/26, free hot breakfast buffet & free WiFi internet included - just add taxes & city surcharges. Reviews on Tripadvisor & Yelp are good, this area is up & rising (over the years) with a # of municipal agency offices & even JetBlue office operations around the corner.

https://www.countryinns.com/reservation/itineraryEntrance.do?endDate=20161027&facilitatorId=GOOGLEHPA&hotelCode=NYNYQUEE&numberAdults=2&numberChildren=0&startDate=20161025&rateSortFilter=(sort(availableRates))&s_cid=agn_pfx_meta_ghf_bid_MAP_MSYRF

Rates for other nearby LIC properties like the Hilton Gardens Hill, Wyndham Garden, Holiday Inn-LIC, Four Points Sheraton-LIC and Fairfield Inns-Queens Plaza are still hovering above the $200+ mark - should edge downward as it get closer.

Otherwise, use those discount search engine to price the downtown & financial district seemed to have deals within the new price target - in addition to Times Square, Grand Central & East Side of Manhattan along Lexington Ave sometimes do have deals also.

Edited by mking8288

LastMinuteTravel has the La Quinta near Herald Square (Macy's and Empire State) for $214/night ($249 incl tax) cancellable up to 3 days ahead. This is a great location near major subways and has been recommended on this forum by posters who have stayed there multiple times.

This should be affordable within your budget. Don't mess with "fringe" hotels in Brooklyn if you want to explore Manhattan.

This sounds like a great option, good location, close to times square, ( I love Brooklyn and was born and raised there, but I always stay in Midtown on my yearly visits)

I have asked before, but still looking for better options. We are cruising on Regal Princess Oct 27 out of Brooklyn Terminal. Per some suggestions, I have booked the Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn. The reviews just aren't great and the thought of the always broken elevator scares me.

I am looking for additional suggestions. We are coming 2 days early to sight- see so would like to be close to the subway. We are flying into LGA. I found the Holiday Inn Brooklyn Downtown. The reviews for it look ok. Not sure how easy access it is to cruise terminal and subway. Would like it to be in a safe area also. We have also increased budget, but would like to stay below $300 a night. Any additional thoughts?

If this is the Holiday Inn Express on Union St, we used it last fall for our son's wedding in Park Slope, and found it quite nice. The elevator was working all the time, the roof patio was great, and the rooms more than adequate. Given NYC prices it was just fine for the area.

On HIE @ Union Street in Brooklyn off the 4th. Avenue corridor, down the block from the nearest MTA underground subway train station - the area is fine, but weekend train services are subject to offline maintenance, not good if you are counting on it to get around or returning late in the evening ... with free, connecting surface shuttle buses instead.

Per available public records online (B.I.S.) from NYC Dept of Buildings - posted elevator inspection records do suggest issues with elevator maintenance, as temporary permits/approvals were granted instead of annual certifications - on this relatively newly constructed hotel property, raising questions that mirrored some of the reviews written on Tripadvisor, CC's "parent."

La Quinta in midtown Manhattan would be a much better choice & location-wise for out-of-towners.

Edited by mking8288

I've stayed at the LaQuinta numerous times, with last trip over 4th of July. Highly recommended. easy to pick up up 2 subway lines, as well as 5th and 6th Ave buses. I walk in all directions from here, in relative safety. Area is always busy.

I do book all my nights separate, my preference for low rates. I find this property has wide ranges of rapid price changes. They do price dump last minute. Stayed 5 nights this last trip, and all the rates dropped. I just canceled and rebooked to take advantage. You can NOT do this with a single reservation. Don't know why but rates went down to $80 2 of the nights, from over $100. I do not use points here, as they charge about double what I can take advantage of in New Orleans, with higher rates. I do use Wyndam points, with is a good return. La Quinta is opening up a new property in Wiliamsburg in Sept. less that haft the point of Manhattan. I did take a look at the area, and the subway is across the street. So am going to try it out in Sept.

Overall, I want my lodging in Manhattan- I find it a pain and inconvenient to stay in LIC and Brooklyn. (I am a frequent visitor, so have a lot more leeway for compromise than a typical tourist, perhaps?, I easily get around and know public transportation extremely well.)

I've stayed at the LaQuinta numerous times, with last trip over 4th of July. Highly recommended. easy to pick up up 2 subway lines, as well as 5th and 6th Ave buses. I walk in all directions from here, in relative safety. Area is always busy.

I do book all my nights separate, my preference for low rates. I find this property has wide ranges of rapid price changes. They do price dump last minute. Stayed 5 nights this last trip, and all the rates dropped. I just canceled and rebooked to take advantage. You can NOT do this with a single reservation. Don't know why but rates went down to $80 2 of the nights, from over $100.

BQ - good to run across you again...you gave me GREAT advice on our first cruise a thousand years ago...ok, I lie, it was 2003... to Alaska. I booked the LaQuinta for a friend who is taking her son up next week....didn't think about separate rez. Did you have any issues with having to check in and out each day?

TIA

BQ - good to run across you again...you gave me GREAT advice on our first cruise a thousand years ago...ok, I lie, it was 2003... to Alaska. I booked the LaQuinta for a friend who is taking her son up next week....didn't think about separate rez. Did you have any issues with having to check in and out each day?

TIA

OK so you know I am cheap. :) In my 4th of July case, there were several price drops, and rooms listed as still available. So, booking separately was of benefit. I stayed for 5 nights- and did get 2 nights lowered again. At that time, they did have a day before cancel date, so it's more worthwhile, if you are going for several days.

It takes me, 5 minutes to check out and in. I really like this hotel and have been staying there probably at least 10 years. I do go there every year. This hotel does, change rates frequently. Has benefited me, to book single days, but I always go for at least 5 days.

OK so you know I am cheap. :) In my 4th of July case, there were several price drops, and rooms listed as still available. So, booking separately was of benefit. I stayed for 5 nights- and did get 2 nights lowered again. At that time, they did have a day before cancel date, so it's more worthwhile, if you are going for several days.

It takes me, 5 minutes to check out and in. I really like this hotel and have been staying there probably at least 10 years. I do go there every year. This hotel does, change rates frequently. Has benefited me, to book single days, but I always go for at least 5 days.

So they made you move rooms? My friend is interested in saving some coin BUT she wouldn't want to have to deal with that...