Are float planes safe?

csz1984

I would still feel much safer in a float plane than traveling up the interstate

highways anywhere here in the lower 48! :eek:

Felt totally safe in the two float planes we did in Alaska the last time, and booked

to go on another next month. :)

I am thinking about doing a float plane excursion in Ketchikan but am a little nervous about the small plane. Are these safe? Which company do you recommend in Ketchikan?

In Ketchikan we have flown with Southeast Aviation, Family Air, and Carlin Air. We tried one time to book with Island Wings, but they were full. We'll try to fly with them next time:) There's a risk involved, sure, just like there's inherent risk in so many activities. If you're not comfortable with flying small planes, I would advise you to find another activity:) There are plenty of other things to enjoy in Ketchikan. Have a great trip!

Princess uses Promech. Good planes and pilots. That said, I really hate flying in airlines and would much prefer to fly in a small plane. The 15 passenger planes are still too big but I can live with it. The view is MUCH better than a flying bus.

Small planes inherently have a higher risk per passenger mile because they fly fewer miles and fewer flights than airlines. For airlines, you are at a much greater risk driving to the airport than the actual flight. To a lesser extent, same is true with small planes - they go where big planes can't. Risk is still tiny.

Weather can always be a factor in Alaska, especially Ketchikan. We booked two Neets Bay flights on two cruises and only one went. On the first cruise they got people up to Neets Bay but couldn't fly them back. Had to send a boat to pick the passengers up. Our flight was cancelled due to low ceilings making it unsafe to fly. The tour operators do everything they can to make your flight safe and enjoyable.

Disclaimer - member of Experimental Aircraft Association for over 50 years, cadet in Civil Air Patrol, retired Air Force. Yes, I love flying. Wish I could afford to own a small plane!

In Alaska, it seems like everyone has their own plane :). OK - so while an exaggeration, personal planes are so common in Alaska. It is sort of like asking "is it safe to drive in a car". Yes there are plane accidents and yes there are car accidents.

I'm thinking about booking w/ Island Wings, is there more than one pilot?

Also, is there a handle to pull yourself up in the plane, is it easy for a handicapped person (well a little handicapped)?

Also, is there a handle to pull yourself up in the plane, is it easy for a handicapped person (well a little handicapped)?

Michelle is the only pilot. If she is full, she has been know to recommend others. Sorry can't answer your next question.

Island Wings is Michelle's company. She has one plane, the Lady Esther, and she is the only pilot.

You have to be able to transfer from the dock to the float, then go up a couple of steps on the ladder to get into the plane. There are places that you can hold to pull yourself up. At the mountain lake, you will have to get off and do a short hop from the float to the shore and then back onto the float.

Here is a photo of the plane at the dock with the door open:

21niknm.jpg

I've flown in small planes, including float planes, throughout the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. DH was a Navy pilot and has spent decades as a private pilot, aircraft sales and demos, instrument instructor, floatplane charter pilot, and floatplane instructor. A few points of reassurance for those considering floatplane excursions in Alaska:

Your pilot will have a floatplane rating - many hours of additional training and certification.

Your pilot will have an instrument rating.

Your pilot is required to have a periodic review flight and testing by a qualified review instructor, every two years. This can be rigorous.

Your aircraft is subject to a safety and mechanical inspection every 100 hours by a licensed inspector and shop.

Your pilot must have a current medical, an FAA requirement.

Frequently the best pilots in the world gravitate to Alaska.

Flying floats is an amazing aviation experience. It combines the best of flying with knowledge of wind, waves, currents, and the ability to land almost anywhere in Alaska.

Depends how "handicapped"?? It is not "easy" to get in float planes and I've seen some people struggle. I suggest you fully disclose your needs and my want to consider my, recommended vendor Southeast Aviation, who can eliminate the climbing with a ramp.

The other issue you must be aware of and can tolerate is the pitch of the docks and may need to schedule for a return at higher tide. Low tide is going to have a steep climb or going downhill to the plane.

I am thinking about doing a float plane excursion in Ketchikan but am a little nervous about the small plane. Are these safe? Which company do you recommend in Ketchikan?

I've flown in small aircraft over 100 times in Alaska. My preference, simply.

But I've been on planes with people who never should have stepped foot on the plane. They are easy to spot and often, they never enjoy the trip and can't wait to exit the plane. Last year, it involved a "family" who apparently had to stay together and the person, had to be "encouraged" to get back in the plane, by the family, in Misty Fjords.

Yes there are risks. I am very picky about my vendors, and repeat often, when I'm adding unknown areas, I often, try to get my links from the vendors I use. You will find seasoned Alaska pilots extremely skilled. Aircraft is maintained by federal guidelines and high safety standards. About all you can hope for, since the crystal ball doesn't work here. :)