Fishing License Costs?

BigGuy25

We've chartered a boat and captain to take us Salmon and Halibut fishing out of Ketchikan. I know we need to purchase fishing licenses and I'm wondering if anyone knows the out-of-state-resident fee? I also believe you need to add an additional license if you catch and King Salmon?

Taking a Princess fishing trip out of Ketchikan in September. This is what they stated:

"A fishing license is required and can be purchased onboard your boat for $20 cash per person. When king salmon is targeted, a $10 per person additional retention tag is required. Children under 16 are not required to purchase a license."

Hope this helps.

Pooh

We've chartered a boat and captain to take us Salmon and Halibut fishing out of Ketchikan. I know we need to purchase fishing licenses and I'm wondering if anyone knows the out-of-state-resident fee? I also believe you need to add an additional license if you catch and King Salmon?

You can buy your license online before you leave home. If you go salmon fishing every guide that we have been with makes you get a king stamp just in case you get one. Here is the link to the store: https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Store/

Here is a link to the price list: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=license.pricinglist

Since you seem concerned about price of license make sure you are sitting down when you find out how much it costs to smoke or process the fish and have it shipped home. The cost of the license will be a drop in the bait bucket.

sightcrr

Since you seem concerned about price of license make sure you are sitting down when you find out how much it costs to smoke or process the fish and have it shipped home. The cost of the license will be a drop in the bait bucket.

sightcrr

Agreed, we shipped 50 lbs of halibut and salmon we caught in Homer last week back home. Processing and shipping (It has to be sent overnight) was about $400, not inexpensive, but oh so flavorful.

Not worried about the cost of the license ... just curious. Thanks for the info. The $400 to ship 40 pounds sounds about right. Our captain has told us that 10-12 pounds runs about $100 to process and ship.

Agreed, we shipped 50 lbs of halibut and salmon we caught in Homer last week back home. Processing and shipping (It has to be sent overnight) was about $400, not inexpensive, but oh so flavorful.

Wow I didn't know it cost that much to send home! My husband will be doing an excursion on Princess next week in Ketchikan. If they send it overnight no one will be home. Yikes! I'll get a neighbor come pick it up I guess??

Wow I didn't know it cost that much to send home! My husband will be doing an excursion on Princess next week in Ketchikan. If they send it overnight no one will be home. Yikes! I'll get a neighbor come pick it up I guess??

I think they can hold it for you and you can tell them when to ship it (when you will be home).

Most places will hold it at least two weeks without charge and ship whenever you want it sent.

What if you don't have 50lbs? What is the average price - is it per pound or a set price in general. We definitely want the salmon but are already paying $200 for the excursion on Princess.

Just like anything else with FedEx it is per pound, with a minimum charge. Don't forget that you also have to pay for the weight of the box that it is shipped in plus the weight of the ice used to keep it frozen (usually cold packs).

Shipping fish home is not cheap and if you are only paying $200 for your excursion you are getting away very inexpensively.

I agree with the high cost of shipping fish home. I have gone on charters where when tourists find out how much it costs to ship their catch home they give it away to anyone who wants it. I fish Alaska every year and bring mine home on the plane. Cost is $25 per 50# box. Will be bringing home 3 boxes this year. Fishing has been good!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tried to plan to go fishing on your second to the last day if you will fly out of Anchorage. Then, you can have your fish processed and frozen before taking them home as a check-in luggage. My DH went fishing last month. The cost of going with guide, licensing, tip, processing costs $480 for 30 lb of fillet

There is no better fish. I don't even eat any "home" fish anymore. I just return to Alaska.

Fish processors, ship on the date you want and definitely do store the fish for you until shipping. Taking fish as extra baggage is very common, just take a look at some of the lines at the airport (also significant reason for getting there early is always recommended) My husband and I had 3 free bags each, so we never paid for "shipping", when mainland touring. A cruise you are kind of stuck with the shipping costs. A LOT of cruise people have no clue, and it's pretty common to have fish given away. You are best to at least, figure at least $10 per pound+++