Car rental company without drop fee

mystic51

we're flying into Ft. Lauderdale and staying in Miami with our cruise out of POM.. looking for a car rental that we can pick up in FLL and drop off in MIA without a drop fee.. anyone know of any? I know a few years ago they all had no drop off fee if you dropped your car off in a different florida location, now I'm having trouble finding any... We're flying in on a thursday and our cruise leaves on Sat..[/size]

Just looking on Kayak, it doesn't look like any of them have a drop-off fee, the rates are about $25/day. With a few exceptions, within Florida, you can pretty much rent anywhere in the state and drop off anywhere in the state for no fee.

I just checked rates with Fox Rent a Car and if I did a pickup and return to Fll the price was the same as a pickup in Fll and return to Mia.. however, when I looked at the breakdown of the charges, the one with the dropoff at Mia showed a dropfee of $43... daily rate for the Jeep was only $20.xx.. the reservation for pickup and return to the same location (Fll) was the same price, but the daily rate for the Jeep went up to makeup for the difference in price.. So even tho' they are showing a dropoff fee, it all works into the same price on both..

If you are a Costco member they have a travel site. I've found good rates for rental cars with them and not been charged a drop off fee. Also some of the rental car agencies at MIA where you are planning to return the car have a free shuttle to the POM which would save you a taxi fee to the port.

If you are a Costco member they have a travel site. I've found good rates for rental cars with them and not been charged a drop off fee. Also some of the rental car agencies at MIA where you are planning to return the car have a free shuttle to the POM which would save you a taxi fee to the port.

Just to be clear, booking through Costco doesn't prevent a drop off fee. We were in Europe this month. We had a FRA-CDG one way rental through Costco. It had a drop off fee, which for some reason was reduced when we dropped the car off by about 25% on the final bill.

They may not add a drop fee :), but you also may not qualify for the lowest rate. :(

If you rent from National, Alamo or thrifty you can use their free shuttle from the MIA airport to POM. If you get a deal from others (I would avoid FOX at all costs) a taxi from MIA to POM costs $27+tip

They may not add a drop fee :), but you also may not qualify for the lowest rate. :(

If you rent from National, Alamo or thrifty you can use their free shuttle from the MIA airport to POM. If you get a deal from others (I would avoid FOX at all costs) a taxi from MIA to POM costs $27+tip

why do you say avoid Fox at all costs?

We had a problem of disclosures with Fox 4 or 5 years ago in Phoenix. Essentially, their "great sale price" didn't include any fees or taxes. When we arrived at the counter to pick up the car, boom...all the fees and taxes suddenly appeared, and guess what, the price wasn't any better than anybody else's.

So we have avoided Fox since.

We had a problem of disclosures with Fox 4 or 5 years ago in Phoenix. Essentially, their "great sale price" didn't include any fees or taxes. When we arrived at the counter to pick up the car, boom...all the fees and taxes suddenly appeared, and guess what, the price wasn't any better than anybody else's.

Don't you just love a classic Bait 'n Switch :rolleyes:

High pressure tactics to sell insurance and collision waivers I did not need or want, hidden fees/taxes, and then wound up with a crappy car.:mad: Never again!

my reservation does show all fees, taxes and drop off charge.. the only thing I don't like is their location

• 2 weeks later...

Fox Rent A Car is known for it's bait and switch policy. I had a relative recently attempt to rent a midsize vehicle at there MIA location a few months ago. When he arrived at the facility they advised him that his quoted reservation wasn't valid because of a so called problem with there reservation system. When they repriced the reservation the quote was 30% higher and advised him that there were no midsize vehicles available at this time. He told them to stick it and walked over to Dollar and rented from them. No way would I have friends or relatives rent from Fox.

we're flying into Ft. Lauderdale and staying in Miami with our cruise out of POM.. looking for a car rental that we can pick up in FLL and drop off in MIA without a drop fee.. anyone know of any? I know a few years ago they all had no drop off fee if you dropped your car off in a different florida location, now I'm having trouble finding any... We're flying in on a thursday and our cruise leaves on Sat..[/size]

It would be easier to tell you which companies do have a drop fee...If I could only remember which one does.

Pick a company, any company and run a faux booking. It will show up if there is a drop fee.

I just rented from Enterprise, FLL- miami, and return car at the down town location, 400 se 2nd street, total for 2 days for a suv toyota rave 4 - 76.47

• 1 month later...
I just rented from Enterprise, FLL- miami, and return car at the down town location, 400 se 2nd street, total for 2 days for a suv toyota rave 4 - 76.47

Hi - I just reserved a rental car from Enterprise picking up at FLL airport and dropping off at same place as you in Miami. How much did it cost you to go from there to the port of miami?