Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Things to Do

crusinhokie91

Hey everyone! My husband and I are getting back from our Vista cruise on March 25 and our flight is at 7:25 pm from Ft. Lauderdale. Carnival has transportation to the airport and excursions, but they leave at 8:00 AM which is a little early after a busy cruise. I am thinking about renting a car and either spending the day in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone have any suggestions for activities that we could do to kill time before our flight? Thanks in advance!

Not that you necessarily want to do this, but I am getting a Miami Go card for the day before my cruise. Their website has all the attractions listed that are available and it is a good all in one resource for things to do in the area.

Where do you catch the water taxi in relation to the pier?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Bayside Market Place. Or you can head up to Fort Lauderdale - water taxi on Las Olas.

We were in the same situation last year, we got a one way car rental from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport. ( we took a short taxi ride $10, to a hotel in downtown Miami where they had many rental companies- I think it was International Plaza). We spent the morning on South Beach, then took a tourist bus tour and finally drove up to Ft. LAUDERDALE Beach and spent the afternoon relaxing at some beautiful park/beach. A rental car is a perfect idea becaus then you don't have to worry about your luggage.

PortMiami is not a "tourist port" in the sense that you can get off and walk to anything like typical cruise ports. I don't believe you would find any non-RCL excursions there.

It's located on Dodge Island which is entirely industrial outside of the cruise terminals. While Bayside is close by, I'm not sure I'd consider it walking distance (could be up to a couple of miles depending on how far down your cruise ship is). Some people do walk across the causeway from the cruise port... if you really want to. Or a short cab ride. At Bayside, there are water based excursions available - Thriller speed boat, pirate ship, etc. But I wouldn't consider it much of a destination.

You also have Bayfront park and this is downtown Miami... a couple blocks south and over the Miami River and you are in Brickell. Which is another cool downtown area. Not sure I'd consider this all very walkable, however.

Personally, if I were visiting, I'd take a cab or uber to South Beach. Get out at Lincoln Road and Alton, then walk Lincoln east to Collins, then head south and walk over to Ocean Drive. That, or look into a boat excursion out of Bayside. Visitors always love getting out on the water and touring the area.

Edited by BNBR