Ditch Freeport

Sir_Randy

We had a positive experience in Freeport in that we went right to

Our Lucaya in the taxi van. The market, the Lucayan hotel & beach, and

the general area was a good place to spend half a day

Grand Bahama has had much hurricane damage over the years and depends

upon cruise business for rebuilding.

Interesting. We snorkel at both Freeport and Nassau. And much preferred Freeport. The boat, snorkel equipment, and reef were much nicer. The crew was much more friendly and helpful. The people selling things were less pushy and rude. We much preferred Freeport over Nassau.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Freeport is great if you like the beach or snorkeling. Paradise Cove for $40, kayaking, beach, paddle boarding, and some of the best snorkeling in the Bahamas- lots of fish and not crowded at all. I snorkeled in the middle of about 10 sea turtles for about 30 minutes before they lost interest in me and swam away in September. Going back in December, hoping for more of the same.

Taking our first real cruise in June and Freeport is one of our stops. This was a bummer of a thread title to read.

While the options in Freeport aren't what they are in some other ports, we have been to Freeport three times and had a blast on each one. Granted, we are beach people and enjoy beach bars, snorkling and the like.

I think alot of it is what you make of it.

Taking our first real cruise in June and Freeport is one of our stops. This was a bummer of a thread title to read.

The area around the port sucks, but the excursions could be good. Just make sure you book something before you arrive in port.

Grand Bahama Island is actually quite lovely, but you have to leave the immediate tourist area around the port.

We rented a car and drove to Lucayan National Park (not Lucaya resort). The beach was void of cruise ship tourists and they are very pristine. We were the only ones on the beach; so awesome! The underwater caves are really something to be seen.

Edited by brunello22

Calabash Eco Tours is phenomenal and they are out of Freeport. It's honestly been the best excursion I have ever been on. They pick you up at port and then we went to Lucayan National Park, which is GORGEOUS! We went snorkeling in Owls Hole, a giant natural blue hole in the middle of of nowhere, and had a great lunch at a little place on the beach. Awesome memories and if I ever happen to cruise there again I'd 100% call up Shamie at Calabash and book another adventure with him! I honestly can't rave enough about him, and it certainly makes me miss Freeport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignore it. When folks decry something as bad or a waste of time with absolutely no supporting evidence, it is useless.

We have been to Freeport twice and there are tons of options. Very nice beaches, great places to get some local seafood, interesting history etc. We were just there a few weeks ago, and in fact were only the second ship to return post Hurricane Matthew. We had booked a private tour and it was terrific! Great tour of the area near the port, fascinating hike through Lucayan National Forest (including two caves and the mangroves), time at Gold Rocks Beach which is gorgeous, lunch at a charming local place and more.

Ignore it. When folks decry something as bad or a waste of time with absolutely no supporting evidence, it is useless.

We have been to Freeport twice and there are tons of options. Very nice

I have there twice in the past 4 years, so I can speak from experience. 1st time we were limited because we took our Mothers with us and they held us back. Went to Port Lucya and it was deserted but the weather was crappy. Went back this time just the 2 of us wanting to hang out at the beach bar behind the Police Station only to find out it was washed away (not their fault), so I am 2 for 2 for not enjoying Freeport.

We will be going back, we like the all inclusive and the reasonable rates, and will try one of the snorkel trips which will hopefully change my opinion of Freeport.

We have been to Freeport twice and there are tons of options. Very nice beaches, great places to get some local seafood, interesting history etc. We were just there a few weeks ago, and in fact were only the second ship to return post Hurricane Matthew. We had booked a private tour and it was terrific! Great tour of the area near the port, fascinating hike through Lucayan National Forest (including two caves and the mangroves), time at Gold Rocks Beach which is gorgeous, lunch at a charming local place and more.

Cruzeluver, will you share info about your private tour? Hiking thru the national forest sounds great! Is this something safe to do on your own?

Cruzeluver, will you share info about your private tour? Hiking thru the national forest sounds great! Is this something safe to do on your own?

We booked through shoreexcursioneer.com which we have used before. They are a consolidator who contracts with local tour operators. They do a great job! Deposit was very small (around $25.00 for four) with the rest payable when we arrived. I should think going your own in the national forest should be easy. The trails are well marked, easy to follow and mostly level.

• 1 month later...
The best snorkeling excursions I have ever done were in Freeport.

We are giving Freeport a 3rd chance. Now is the time for Freeport lovers to tell me what I should do and who I should do it with so I feel the way you do about it! We love to snorkel!

While the options in Freeport aren't what they are in some other ports, we have been to Freeport three times and had a blast on each one. Granted, we are beach people and enjoy beach bars, snorkling and the like.

I think alot of it is what you make of it.

We are giving Freeport a 3rd chance. Now is the time for Freeport lovers to tell me what I should do and who I should do it with so I feel the way you do about it! We love to snorkel!

Interesting. We snorkel at both Freeport and Nassau. And much preferred Freeport. The boat, snorkel equipment, and reef were much nicer. The crew was much more friendly and helpful. The people selling things were less pushy and rude. We much preferred Freeport over Nassau.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I don't get why people don't like Freeport? We're just back from a cruise and we rented a car from Island Jeep and Car for $94 for the day. They are right at the cruise port. We drove to Lucayan National Park and saw the caves then walked over to Gold Rock Beach. The beach was beautiful. We then drove to Lucayan Marketplace and checked out the shops and then went over to the beach right near there. Had a pretty solid day for not a lot of cash.

I thought the worst beach day I ever had was on Tortola. The beach we went to was full of boats and sand flies...

Edited by Emmabelle

We had a blast in Freeport both times we've gone. Granted, the port itself isn't much, but get away from there and the island is quite lovely. We've done the Grand Lucayan for the day and Pat & Diane's for snorkeling and a deserted beach day, which was our favorite. It's a port that you'll want to book an excursion to get the most out of it. Have fun!