First Time To Barcelona:) and yes I have been using the search feature.....but

Lois R

.....I still have questions:)......I have been searching about hotels and yes, I have also used Trip Advisor. but

I want to get some more opinions:)....sailing out of Barcelona in August.....I have seen many folks suggest

Hotel Jazz and it looks fine but was wondering about Hotel Colone?......I thought that looked quite nice as well.

And what about B&B's? I stayed in one when I sailed from Rome and it was lovely......are B&B's as popular

in Barcelona? And any recommendations? I travel on my own and have cruised solo for many years.

Do hotels offer car services to pick up their guests at the airport? I know it would depend on the individual

property but I was meaning in general? I would rather have a driver waiting than trying to find a cab (or are they

plentiful?).

And can any of you recommend a tour guide? I haven't looked on Trip Advisor yet but I will be in Barcelona 2 days

early....arriving on a Monday morning and sailing on Wednesday.

Thank you all for the help:D....oh I am quite excited about this trip!!!

As a general rule, I don't think hotels do shuttles. If you search the airport or the Barcelona tourism site, you will find options. Taxis are plentiful and last I read, about 30.00-35.00 euros. I'm going to Barcelona in Oct. and will use a taxi, they are plentiful and have set rates. I read there is a shared mini bus option but from a certain terminal, you have to make your way there.

I'm staying at the Sant Augusti just off La Rambla, I've stayed at Hotel Continental in the past, older, quirky place with pink rooms. I stay in B & Bs in the states, but haven't in Europe. When I'm pre-cruise, definitely need an elevator for my suitcase so a B & B might not have one. I'm not overly fussy about hotels, I look at the pictures, read the reviews, make sure the location seems walkable.

For Barcelona, I like to be by Placa Catalunya as the hop on, hop off buses, walking tours, and the tourist office bus touristic all leave from there.

Fodor's Travel Essential Spain is an excellent guide, I just checked out a 2017 edition at my local library.

Happy planning!

Edited by susancruzs

Hello,

Last time in Barcelona we stayed at the Gran Havana. I would definitely recommend it as It was clean and well located. This year we will be staying at the Hotel Regina, we like to try different places. As to airport pick up, we use sun transfers, they have proved to be very reliable. Hope you have a good trip.

Jane

No, hotels don't normally offer car services because there's no need for that, in fact, there's little market on this. Barcelona is very well communicated with the airport, which you can reach by metro, train, especial bus, regular bus and, of course, taxi. Depending where in the city you're going to be based, one or more means are likely to be available. Taxis are plentiful and quite inexpensive. The taxi rank at the airport hosts 1200 taxis :)

Again, this is of course something very personal, but most visitors DIY their visits to the city: a good book guide, some research pre-visit and a rough plan is enough for most. There are also many tour guides should you need them.

Enjoy!

Have stayed at Hotel Jazz and it's a very nice hotel. Have also stayed at Hotel Hostel Grau (it is a hotel, not a hostel) which is about a block or so away from the Jazz and is a little cheaper in price. Lots of shops and restaurants around it. We stayed in a superior room and it and bathroom were very large.

Have been to Barcelona a few times and never had a problem getting a taxi to and from the airport or port.

Have used Spain Day Tours when in Spain and highly recommend them, they get excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Did the Barcelona/Montserrat tour with them this past October and it was a wonderful tour.

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities, you'll love it! Have a wonderful trip.

Hi Lois, I have stayed at Hotel Colon -- I really like to be in the midst of things and this is a great location in the Barri Gotic (Gothic area) with lots of restaurants and shops, always something going on nearby.

I have also stayed at the nearby H10 Raco del Pi, a smaller more 'boutique' hotel and on a quieter street but still in the same area. You might consider it too.

Hi Lois, I have stayed at Hotel Colon -- I really like to be in the midst of things and this is a great location in the Barri Gotic (Gothic area) with lots of restaurants and shops, always something going on nearby.I have also stayed at the nearby H10 Raco del Pi, a smaller more 'boutique' hotel and on a quieter street but still in the same area. You might consider it too.

Hi Cynthia, so happy to see you:D...thanks for the reply. I will look at the H10 too.

And thank everyone else for their replies too.....as for transportation, I was not referring to a "shuttle service"

but a limo type service. I know in Rome many of the hotels offer to help their guests with that......but I realize

the airport is quite aways from main Rome.

Thanks again:)

Have stayed at Hotel Jazz and it's a very nice hotel. Have also stayed at Hotel Hostel Grau (it is a hotel, not a hostel) which is about a block or so away from the Jazz and is a little cheaper in price. Lots of shops and restaurants around it. We stayed in a superior room and it and bathroom were very large.

Have been to Barcelona a few times and never had a problem getting a taxi to and from the airport or port.

Have used Spain Day Tours when in Spain and highly recommend them, they get excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Did the Barcelona/Montserrat tour with them this past October and it was a wonderful tour.

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities, you'll love it! Have a wonderful trip.

Thank you.........I will research Spain Day Tours:)

Hello, Last time in Barcelona we stayed at the Gran Havana. I would definitely recommend it as It was clean and well located. This year we will be staying at the Hotel Regina, we like to try different places. As to airport pick up, we use sun transfers, they have proved to be very reliable. Hope you have a good trip.

Jane

Hi Jane, thanks for the recommendation. I will check out Sun.

Sorry, the name of the company is Spain Day Tours but in Barcelona it's called Barcelona Day Tours. Confusing.

Found them on line.....looks like a very good company. I sent them an email:)

Sorry, the name of the company is Spain Day Tours but in Barcelona it's called Barcelona Day Tours. Confusing.

I emailed them and Anna already replied back with some wonderful information:)....I will be in Barcelona for 2 days pre-cruise and they have availability for my 2nd day there. Prices are quite reasonable for a "semi private" tour.....I enjoy meeting other

folks so sharing a tour would be fun. (I travel solo).

Thank you the recommendation:D.

We stayed 4 nights at Hotel Espana, just off Las Ramblas. Nice hotel with rooftop bar and pool, great staff and food was good also. Walking distance to everything. We also used https://www.welcomepickups.com/ to pick us up at the port then take us to the airport, very reasonable, friendly English speaking drivers who are knowledgeable about Barcelona.

This is CRAZY......I can't recall ever having such a difficult time deciding what hotel to book:eek:.......everytime I think I have

"THE ONE"........well, I keep finding others that look good too.

How did you make your decision? Price, location, answers from others? Or just "go with your gut"?

This is CRAZY......I can't recall ever having such a difficult time deciding what hotel to book:eek:.......everytime I think I have

"THE ONE"........well, I keep finding others that look good too.

How did you make your decision? Price, location, answers from others? Or just "go with your gut"?

Well, I collect hotel points (and have status) with Marriott, so for me it's usually a combo of price and maximizing my points earnings (they can add up quite quickly - if you travel often it's worth looking into). That said, there are times when there are no Marriott hotels where I want to be or they are way out of my budget, so I usually read reviews, look at plenty of pictures... and go with my gut. Ultimately, I'm a big believer in following one's own instincts, because only you know what is most important in terms of amenities, location and price to you.

Well, after researching and reading lots of threads on the SPAIN FORUM (and on here)..........boy did I use the search

feature alot, I have booked a room at Hotel Pulitzer...........it looks very nice to me:D I know The Jazz gets lots of

good comments but this Hotel also gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor too . I am happy with the price and with my

choice:)

Well, after researching and reading lots of threads on the SPAIN FORUM (and on here)..........boy did I use the search

feature alot, I have booked a room at Hotel Pulitzer...........it looks very nice to me:D I know The Jazz gets lots of

good comments but this Hotel also gets very good reviews on Trip Advisor as well. . I am happy with the price and with my

choice:)

Oh wow, I got my forums mixed up LOL..........this is the SPAIN FORUM........I booked Hotel Pulitzer:)

I want to thank all of you for the replies/help, etc.........now I have to get through the summer:)

Edited by Lois R

Glad you ave found some where. We always use Sallés Hotel Ciutat del Prat. The do a special room rate (100 euros last time I booked) which includes transfer from the airport to the hotel, one nights accommodation, breakfast, and a shuttle to the cruise port the next morning.

The hotel is clean and modern and there are grocery stores and restaurant nearby.

.....I still have questions:)......I have been searching about hotels and yes, I have also used Trip Advisor. but

I want to get some more opinions:)....sailing out of Barcelona in August.....I have seen many folks suggest

Hotel Jazz and it looks fine but was wondering about Hotel Colone?......I thought that looked quite nice as well.

And what about B&B's? I stayed in one when I sailed from Rome and it was lovely......are B&B's as popular

in Barcelona? And any recommendations? I travel on my own and have cruised solo for many years.

Do hotels offer car services to pick up their guests at the airport? I know it would depend on the individual

property but I was meaning in general? I would rather have a driver waiting than trying to find a cab (or are they

plentiful?).

And can any of you recommend a tour guide? I haven't looked on Trip Advisor yet but I will be in Barcelona 2 days

early....arriving on a Monday morning and sailing on Wednesday.

Thank you all for the help:D....oh I am quite excited about this trip!!!

Just curious do you speak Catalan or Spanish language? If not then you are brave, at least in my eyes.

I am a solo cruiser myself and have done many cruises but never to Europe which is something I want to do. I found a cruise from Barcelona but am nervous about staying there without the language. Technically I could just do the cruise without staying there for a few days, but it would be a shame to go there and not see Barcelona.

Just curious do you speak Catalan or Spanish language? If not then you are brave, at least in my eyes.

I am a solo cruiser myself and have done many cruises but never to Europe which is something I want to do. I found a cruise from Barcelona but am nervous about staying there without the language. Technically I could just do the cruise without staying there for a few days, but it would be a shame to go there and not see Barcelona.

Don't be at all nervous, Barcelona is a very tourist friendly city, I speak no Spanish or Catalan and happily tripped around all over using the metro and buses. The only people I encountered who spoke little English were in small local food shops but sign language and a smile always got me through. An offline translation app on your phone helps with the occasional sign or menu but even that is not necessary really.