Scottish Food and Drink

What should we eat and drink while in Scotland? We're visiting the Shetland Islands, Isle of Skye, Inverness, and Edinburgh. One of the tour guides suggested fish and chips for lunch but one of us isn't big into chips. It doesn't have to be weird or wacky or traditional for that matter. We want to try whatever is fresh and local in late May. Thanks!

What should we eat and drink while in Scotland? We're visiting the Shetland Islands, Isle of Skye, Inverness, and Edinburgh. One of the tour guides suggested fish and chips for lunch but one of us isn't big into chips. It doesn't have to be weird or wacky or traditional for that matter. We want to try whatever is fresh and local in late May. Thanks!

Ā 

Ā 

Haggis! And wash it down with some Lagavulin.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I spent a month in England and Scotland after college. Some of the best Indian take out ("take-away") I've ever had was in England/Scotland. And I haven't had a decent scone since returning to the US.

Ā 

But then, maybe don't have the scones. It will only set you up for disappointment the rest of your life. ;)

Ā 

All your other postings re your cruise have been on the Britain forum, so why have you posted this here,your more likely to get replies from people who stay in Scotland

All your other postings re your cruise have been on the Britain forum, so why have you posted this here,your more likely to get replies from people who stay in Scotland

Ā 

Terribly, terribly sorry. My next cruise goes to both Norway and Scotland (as you can see from my signature), so I must have made a mistake in where I posted. Nice to have a fan and though! Thanks for catching my mistake. ;)

For a tourist experience how about high tea in Edinburgh Castles Tea rooms?

http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/media/95751/tea-rooms-menu.pdf

Ā 

We took my mother there a few years ago and she enjoyed it a lot, we could not find the shop her Aunty used to buy Clotties from when she stayed thee as a girl.

Ā 

There is a lot of good seafood in Scotland if that's what you like you will be spoilt for choice, Langoustines are particularly good.

But also Scottish beef and lamb is good.

I highly recommend sourcing it from this butcher, which supplies it fresh from the hunt: https://www.macbeths.com/the-coos-news/secrets-of-the-haggis-hunt-finally-revealed-on-film/

Ā 

Brilliant!

Ā 

Many years ago I found myself in a friends house in Ealing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day while they were away. I had forgotten that everything (and in those days, I mean everything) was closed on those two days. The only thing edible in the house was a frozen haggis, and it puzzled me greatly. I eventually succeeded in preparing it (I finally walked to several adjacent houses holding the thing in my hand, begging for guidance) and found it quite tasty. My friend's liquor cabinet also helped greatly...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BakedAlaska7751

During your visit to Scotland you will find food from all over the world but if you wish to sample Scottish Food you will find it in all Restaurants, I would recommend among others that you should try Haggis of course it is tasty and should always be served with neeps(Turnip) and Tatties(mashed potatoes), Cullen Skink a thick creamy smoked fish(Haddock) soup, Cranachan dessert made with oats,cream and whisky.

Scottish beef and lamb are also very tasty, while in Edinburgh I would suggest you visit the "Doric" pub situated behind Waverely Station straight across the Road from the Edinburgh Junction, you can sample single malt whisky from their extensive range and also try a lunch in their restaurant upstairs, as a fan of Cullen Skink I can recommend their version of this delicious soup.

Have a great time in our beautiful country and your cruise overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen fried Mars Bar on a menu. It is certainly not traditional in this part of the world, but just a joke

Ā 

Ā 

You can get it in certain Chip Shops - but not something I would personally recommend although have been told it tastes great!! I can feel my arteries clogging up just thinking about it!!!!

You can get it in certain Chip Shops - but not something I would personally recommend although have been told it tastes great!! I can feel my arteries clogging up just thinking about it!!!!

Ā 

Ā 

I just was surprised that it was quoted as a "traditional food' when it's not available many places IMO

Trendy deep fried anything is big including deep fried pizza, deep fried Snickers or Mars Bars. Deep fried Twinkies and more are out there but you have to search a little more for them. They definitely aren't traditional but the new food trend.

Ā 

Ā 

Where do you see things like this Mario because I'm not a youngster and I've never seen any of them in y life. You don't mean Scotland do you? And what are deep fried Twinkies?