Questions regarding embarkation from Vancouver???

Jetswdo

I just received a letter from Celebrity--

It says due to three cruise ships leaving from Canada Place in Vancouver- May 17--

"guests are to meet at Convention Center Hall C (over Canada Place)" and in small groups will be taken to the cruise terminal.

Does this mean all our luggage goes with us to Convention Hall C? Or do we stop first at Canada Place to drop off our luggage, then go to the convention hall?

Where to tell the taxi driver to drop us off with our luggage?

Has anyone on this board done this already? Please advise. Thanks, Anita

ok, after calling Celebrity a few times, and given wrong info that made no sense, etc.-

I called up Canada Place who then gave me the phone number of the port agent for Celebrity. That person agreed with me, that a sentence or two written on the letter that was sent would have made it clear. The answer: Before 1:00 , drop off will be at parking 2- stevedores will pick up luggage there. Take elevator to convention level and meet there at Hall C. After 1:00, should be less traffic and drop off will be at regular cruise ship level- Then escalator or elevator to Hall C.

Does this mean all our luggage goes with us to Convention Hall C? Or do we stop first at Canada Place to drop off our luggage, then go to the convention hall?

The Taxi driver will know.. it's in the "basement".

It's also where the luggage will be dropped off.

You go from there to your meeting place.

I just received a letter from Celebrity--

It says due to three cruise ships leaving from Canada Place in Vancouver- May 17--

"guests are to meet at Convention Center Hall C (over Canada Place)" and in small groups will be taken to the cruise terminal.

We are on one of those ships but haven't received this letter. Did it arrive by email or in the snail mail? If you don't mind my asking, what ship are you on??

Since this is the Celebrity board, I would conclude they are on Solstice, as the other two are Radiance and Volendam. EM

Good to know ... thanks!

I know the Millie is sailing out of Vancouver this year as well ... just didn't know her dates. I assume it is not on the 17th, though now that you've identified which ones are sharing the port with the Solstice that day.

It got even more confusing last September when the elevators near the taxi drop-off were broken and Prince William and Kate were visiting a block down the street!

That's when we embarked. We had to walk up steps with carry on bags. We sailed on the Infinity Pacific Coastal.

Vancouver is not my choice port to sail out of. We're sailing on Millie out of Seward to Vancouver, just to avoid embarkation there.

Vancouver with 3 ships in is hell as an embarcation port. I stood in line for 3 hours to get through customs. Sounds as if they're trying to address this issue. Hopefully there's someplace to sit in the alternative boarding place.

Loved the city of Vancouver but will probably never sail out of there again.

When we left Vancouver last September, there were only two ships in port at Canada Place: Radiance of the Seas (which we were on) and a Celebrity ship. We were dropped off in the basement (where the taxis and shuttles drop off passengers) but DID NOT give our luggage to the porters as they were very confused as to where luggage was to go. It was a total DISASTER. We took our luggage inside the building directly to the Royal Caribbean luggage room and deposited it directly with the person there. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be with three ships in port. My suggestion is take it inside the building yourself and take it directly to the assigned luggage room for your ship.

When we left Vancouver last September, there were only two ships in port at Canada Place: Radiance of the Seas (which we were on) and a Celebrity ship. We were dropped off in the basement (where the taxis and shuttles drop off passengers) but DID NOT give our luggage to the porters as they were very confused as to where luggage was to go. It was a total DISASTER. We took our luggage inside the building directly to the Royal Caribbean luggage room and deposited it directly with the person there. I can't imagine how bad it's going to be with three ships in port. My suggestion is take it inside the building yourself and take it directly to the assigned luggage room for your ship.

Good to know!! Thanks for sharing your advice.

We love sailing out of San Francisco but before they were up and running at the new pier (pier 27), there were three ships docked at pier 35!! One was a much smaller ship that was there as an overnight stop but the other two were Princess ships that were embarking / disembarking. Half of the pax luggage ended up on the wrong ship. Oh my goodness ... the wrong ship!! We only had carry on luggage so we were fine ... but what a nightmare!! I've never had any issues with embarkation in Vancouver but also have never been there when there were any other cruise ships there. This sounds like it might be a challenge .... yikes!!

Also arriving in Vancouver on the Solstice on May 17. Hope we make our early afternoon flight!

Vancouver does a Sky Train to the airport from downtown. I wanted to take the train to Bellingham, WA, but they on leave before we dock or evening. Looks like we will have to bus it.

We are on one of those ships but haven't received this letter. Did it arrive by email or in the snail mail? If you don't mind my asking, what ship are you on??

The letter is in the e-docs for the May 17 Solstice sailing.

Yes we will be on the Solstice on May 17. As I think I stated, I did speak directly with the Celebrity port agent. Her words: "Unitl about 1:00- all cars, taxis and buses will drop off passengers at parking garage. The stevedores will be there in full force to collect luggage for all the ships (which does make me nervous, admittedly)-- but the gal insisted that they are well trained to make sure that the luggage gets to the right ships- and that it will be no different for them getting luggage from parking structure vs. at the dock." Hopefully she is right!

Yes we will be on the Solstice on May 17. As I think I stated, I did speak directly with the Celebrity port agent. Her words: "Unitl about 1:00- all cars, taxis and buses will drop off passengers at parking garage. The stevedores will be there in full force to collect luggage for all the ships (which does make me nervous, admittedly)-- but the gal insisted that they are well trained to make sure that the luggage gets to the right ships- and that it will be no different for them getting luggage from parking structure vs. at the dock." Hopefully she is right!

We had the same situation...didn't realize it was the parking garage but we had no problems with our luggage getting to the correct ship. We were asked what ship we were on. Don't borrow worries. 😉

Hi midwestchick-- we met for I think 5 minutes for Summit to Bermuda at the hotel by the NJ outlet stores----

When I received the embarkation letter for Vancouver- I was trying to figure out where the luggage drop off spot was- no explanation on the letter-

It took several phone calls to actually speak to the right person, who agreed that just a couple of sentences on that letter would have made the difference. Apparently I was not the first person who called! So hopefully my luggage will end up on the Solstice without a problem. Anita

Hi midwestchick-- we met for I think 5 minutes for Summit to Bermuda at the hotel by the NJ outlet stores----

When I received the embarkation letter for Vancouver- I was trying to figure out where the luggage drop off spot was- no explanation on the letter-

It took several phone calls to actually speak to the right person, who agreed that just a couple of sentences on that letter would have made the difference. Apparently I was not the first person who called! So hopefully my luggage will end up on the Solstice without a problem. Anita

Ahhhh....yes, I remember.

I don't think I ever received an embarkation letter from X for Canada Place. The taxi driver knew exactly where to drop us off.

We'll be doing dekarkation in Vancouver for our Alaska cruise. I haven't looked to see how many ships are in port June 9. I don't have the link to check the ports.

Ahhhh....yes, I remember.

I don't think I ever received an embarkation letter from X for Canada Place. The taxi driver knew exactly where to drop us off.

We'll be doing dekarkation in Vancouver for our Alaska cruise. I haven't looked to see how many ships are in port June 9. I don't have the link to check the ports.

There is one ship in port that day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With the presumption that things are run the same this year as last year and that the cruise check-in process has access to the required space in the Convention Centre, then the 3-ship process "should" be as follows:

Drop bags at the lower level of Canada Place - the taxis should know where to take you and if coming in by foot head down the sloped footpath to where the taxis are heading - the longshoremen will take your bags and ensure that they are correctly labeled for the appropriate ship. (There was mention above of a "luggage room" for each ship - I work at Canada Place and I am not aware of any "rooms" that are accessible by passengers - during debarkation there is an area referred to as the "luggage room" where debarking luggage is placed and picked up by the debarking passengers, but if a embarking passenger attempted to get to that area, (1) it would cause extreme confusion for the staff, and (2) that passenger would probably be arrested by the Canada Border Services Agents!)

You will be directed up an escalator or elevator to the Convention Centre area of Canada Place, probably to "Hall C". Depending on what combination of cruise ships are in, there may be separate doors for each cruise line. You will need to show your cruise papers (Set Sail Pass, Xpress pass etc.) at the door.

There will be line ups to get to check in, and depending on the flow of passengers, you may be asked to take a seat for a short while before being let into the check in lineups. (If you make sure you have all your paperwork, passports (or equivalent) and credit cards at the ready when you get to the desk that helps speed things up!)

After check in, you may be asked to go into another conference room to take a seat for a short time before being asked to go back down the escalator or elevator to the lower level to head through the security area and then into the US customs and immigration area. Depending on the passenger flow there may be a wait to get to the border agents - that is all depending on the US agents.

As said above this is the usual process. However if the extra conference room is not available, or if the passengers are arriving in a steady trickle, you may be asked to go directly from checkin down to immigration.

A few FAQ I can think of ...

Yes, you can drop your bags with the long shore men and then come back later for check in. If you do this you should be able to enter at the conference centre level and head directly to the checkin.

Make sure you don't pack your paperwork, passport etc. in the suitcases you drop off - while tracking down your bags is possible - it can take a long time, and if you don't have your passport (or equivalent) you will not get through the US border.

If there is only one (or two, depending on the size) ships in, occasionally check in is set up after immigration, it can vary. However luggage drop off is always (or has been in recent years) at the taxi drop off area.

If you are expecting priority checkin (for suites, diamond/elite, etc.) this only applies to the check in desk area, as there are different lineups for each. No special lines for the immigration area. However if you have Nexus or pre-screened status (can't remember the US equivalent), please let the staff know when you get into the immigration area as there is sometimes an expedited line at that point.

Be prepared to wait and please be patient with the checkin staff, they are doing their best to get through the day!

The 3-ship day in May, is early in the season for Vancouver, it will be "all hands on deck" for the checkin staff!

I would recommend coming early (or late), but would personally recommend early (before or around 10 am). That way you may have some waiting but at least you will be at the head of the line for getting through each section. If you risk late, you may miss the line ups for check in but you risk running into any backups happening at immigration.

Of course at this point it is impossible to predict what recent US developments [ducking for cover ....:eek:] might mean to the US border process - hopefully it won't slow it down, but who knows at this point!

Feel free to ask any specific questions, and I'll try to answer, but as I say, it's very dependent on a lot of different factors and availabilities.

Edited by westcoasttech