advice for Rome stay pre-cruise in June

irvington

Okay, I’m probably over thinking our Rome plans, but hope to get some advice. Will be there in June with two boys ages 18 and 15, who are big fans of anything history and culture. Younger one needs a fair amount of interest so I’m arranging for some guides or tours, since past experience shows that makes a big impact; trying to minimize the art museum time, where there’s no other input. (We visit museums frequently, but I just know that’s a bit harder to prolong the focus for him at a pure art gallery.) Older one has requested to see a lot; younger will want a bit of downtime or at least unstructured wandering and café time. First time in Europe for them; we are very excited.

Here’s the schedule so far:

Wednesday we arrive at 11 am from the Pacific time zone, so a fair bit of jet lag possible. We’re staying near the Pantheon and I’m going to get us out to walk the area and stay up until at least 7 pm.

Thursday we are meeting a guide at the Vatican at 1.

Friday we are meeting a guide at the Forum/Coliseum/etc. area at 3.

Saturday we are signed up for a morning Underground Rome tour with Context Travel.

Sunday we head to the cruise ship. We sail at 5 pm but I’m assuming we will head to port mid-day. Still haven’t decided whether to splurge for a car to take us, or take the train.

Of course doing my research I see lots of additional things to add that we would enjoy. I realize there’s not enough time to do it all. So wondering about trying to work in the following in some way, and would love input about where and when to make it happen, which ones to skip, what things I should play by ear. Don’t want to just hang around in the hotel room; on the other hand, jet lag aside, I know it is hard to get this group going early in the morning. Thoughts on?

• Palazzo Valentini Museum or Domus Aurea or Ara Pacis
  • Light show at the Caesar Forum
  • Catacombs tour
  • Basilica San Clemente

Also if anyone is still reading, I feel I saw somewhere here the idea when leaving the ship at the end, going to Ostia Antica on the way to the airport. Our flight is at 13:15 pm and it sounds like most people have earlier flights than us, but I suppose we can just kill the time at the airport too.

I do like the fact that you have given yourself plenty of time to see Rome, unlike others who are often trying to see it all in a day. What is not clear is how you will use all the time that is unaccounted for. You show meeting a guide at the Forum,etc at 3 but do not say what your plans are earlier in the day and how long you plan to spend at the ruins. It is easy to spend the better part of a day at the Forum, Colosseum and Palatine Hill if that is where your interests lie. From your descriptions of your boys it sounds like they would enjoy this "outdoor" museum more than an indoor art gallery. You could wander over there OYO from the Pantheon. Been years since I went to the catacombs but would be unique and worth a few stories for the guys when you returned home. Somewhere in the course of time sitting by a fountain, not just Trevi, as there are many, while enjoying a Gelato ought to come into play. Again the Vatican should be looked at as a 2 part, done together visit. St. Peter's as one and the museum with the Sistine chapel as the other.

Thanks so much. Yes I'm trying to figure out what to do with the open times. Looking with google maps and when things are open so as to group nearby things together. I've never been to the catacombs but seems like something teen boys would enjoy telling their friends about, as you say.

We went to the Palazzo Valentini Museum and I think that would appeal to teens. It has glass floors and lighting below that highlights ancient relics, etc. It is about a 2 hour program but you walk from room to room with a guide. The last 45 minutes or so is in a theater and they show a film on Trajan's column (unless they have changed the program). I would have liked that last part to be a bit shorter, but all in all I think teens would like.

You can also walk to the Vatican from your hotel or return from Vatican via walking. It is a hike but certainly doable. I think that is a good idea with teens, you will see something interesting and will have time to stop, etc.

PIazza Navona will be very close to your hotel. You can easily people watch there over coffee or beer outdoors for a couple of hours. I think teens may like that as well. A huge fountain there as well.

You can also walk around Castle St. Angelo - that is more like a park setting around the castle with lots of grass, etc.

Have fun.... !

Edited by CCJack
typo

The Basilica de San Clemente is a short walk from the Colosseum and well worth seeing. Its only small, no more than 90 minute visit, but it will fill some time before you do your 3pm tour.
They won't be able to see San Clemente before a 3 PM tour as the church is closed between 12:30 - 3 PM.

http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/eng/index.php/informations/excavations

I like what you have put together.

As many times as we've been to Rome during our last stay we took an evening tour as well to see Rome from various vantage points including from surrounding areas.

It is wise to leave open time so you can "smell the roses". Too often people schedule too much and rush from venue to venue.

For lunches try to get off the beaten path. On our last couple of stays we've walked over to small residential areas and had lunch where the locals seems to go. We just looked at various places and then said, let's go with this one. It worked well.

Good approach to the first day. I find that it is best to walk around outside and to stay up as long as we can to bet onto the new time zone. We will be taking a similar approach when visiting Paris in June.

Keith

If you can get out early, consider walking or biking Via Appia Antica on Sunday before trip to Civitavecchia. Sunday is the only day of the week when this is closed to vehicular traffic.

I urge you to take the train rather than the car to port. We have traveled numerous times with our teens in Europe, including from Rome to Civitavecchia, and I always find it to be an extremely good educational experience for the teens to use public transportation. It's another way for them to see first hand how Europeans travel, rather than we Americans who are so accustomed to driving everywhere.

Also if anyone is still reading, I feel I saw somewhere here the idea when leaving the ship at the end, going to Ostia Antica on the way to the airport. Our flight is at 13:15 pm and it sounds like most people have earlier flights than us, but I suppose we can just kill the time at the airport too.

I'm still recovering from my jet lag from flying Rome FCO to London to LAX last Saturday. Coming home the jet lag is much worse.

I think you're pushing it with the Ostia visit on the way to the airport if you're flying out of FCO.

It's super crowded, and the Italian securty lines are pretty fierce. As a matter of fact the European airport security is fierce. I got the "special treatment" in 3 airports in 2.5 weeks. Twice my luggage was placed in the "naughty line-up" where you wait for friggin' ever for them to wade through all the suitcases to get to yours. They pulled mine over for a crowded liquids baggie (sealed up; all inside was acceptable). They just don't like too much stuff on the screen.

So, don't think going through is a breeze. You have to wait at the airport counter to check your bags. No kiosk checking because you already checked-in online. They want to see YOU and your passport at the counter, and then weigh/check your bags.

Then, security (see above).

Then, you have to go through a passport check BEFORE you go to your gate (think customs kiosk when you get off a ship). And, it can be crowded,because ALL the passengers going to ALL the airlines' gates in that section of the terminals, are all in a long line for passport check.

You're off the ship between 8-9:30 am. We were delayed 30 minutes getting off in Venice. Find your driver. Depending on the day of the week, traffic can be bad to the airport. Then, you have the whole thing I described above.

We had similar experiences checking in at London Heathrow, connecting in London Heathrow, the Venice airport, and Rome's FCO.

Thanks for all the good advice! Good point on the airport. I was inspired by all these people with early flights, but honestly don't want the stress. Worst case, we end up having time at the airport to chill.

Good point also on the train. I almost said in my first post, we are big train fans. To your point about American teens, we live pretty urban lives and my kids take public transit to school and elsewhere. That said, if the train is doable, could be a fun experience for people who prefer trains. And of course less expensive.

Thanks for the other ideas too. I like the idea of having some meals off the beaten path. I'm struggling with the balance of not being a overscheduled mom nagging the group to our next ticketed event, and losing the enjoyment in the process, versus not accomplishing much because we didn't have things planned (what ended up happening on our last trip, though we got along better than ever before). I realize that's a personal decision to make, but maybe I should plan a few more things that require tickets and then plan out the rest of the time with an eye to things that can adapt. I appreciate the ideas of good walking areas. I do plan to have us walk as much as possible.

Thanks for all the good advice! Good point on the airport. I was inspired by all these people with early flights, but honestly don't want the stress. Worst case, we end up having time at the airport to chill.

Good point also on the train. I almost said in my first post, we are big train fans. To your point about American teens, we live pretty urban lives and my kids take public transit to school and elsewhere. That said, if the train is doable, could be a fun experience for people who prefer trains. And of course less expensive.

Thanks for the other ideas too. I like the idea of having some meals off the beaten path. I'm struggling with the balance of not being a overscheduled mom nagging the group to our next ticketed event, and losing the enjoyment in the process, versus not accomplishing much because we didn't have things planned (what ended up happening on our last trip, though we got along better than ever before). I realize that's a personal decision to make, but maybe I should plan a few more things that require tickets and then plan out the rest of the time with an eye to things that can adapt. I appreciate the ideas of good walking areas. I do plan to have us walk as much as possible.

We were in Rome for a total of 3 days, Venice for 2 days, and other stops all over Italy on our cruise. We did not have a bad thing to eat in 2.5 weeks! The ship's food was great, and in Italy the "fast food" is these amazing sandwiches with all kinds of great fillings. They cost 4-5 Euros, plus something to drink, and are DELICIOUS!! Walk in, buy, walk out, eat while you walk. Great food! Then, there's the gelato and cannoli.......OMG!

One of the many beauties of Rome is that there are very few sites that require tickets and advance planning, the two most visited among those are the Vatican museums and the Colosseum. Most everything else that the first time visitor would want to see/do can be fit in on the fly, so to speak. These are also the two main outliers, physically, with almost everything else located between them. That makes it easy to wander and go with the flow because you're almost always only steps from something amazing. The trick is to have the research done in advance, knowing what is where, so you can take advantage of what sites are near wherever you happen to be.

One of the many beauties of Rome is that there are very few sites that require tickets and advance planning, the two most visited among those are the Vatican museums and the Colosseum. Most everything else that the first time visitor would want to see/do can be fit in on the fly, so to speak. These are also the two main outliers, physically, with almost everything else located between them. That makes it easy to wander and go with the flow because you're almost always only steps from something amazing. The trick is to have the research done in advance, knowing what is where, so you can take advantage of what sites are near wherever you happen to be.

Not exactly agreeing with you. Yes, you walk by and visit the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and the Pantheon. But, if you want to get in the Colosseum, Vatican Museum, Capitolini, Borghese Museum, or anything else that requires a ticketed entrance, you are better off to buy them in advance. Borghese and Vatican Museum are time-sensitive; the others expire after a period post-purchase. Buying them within the time period works well.

St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican is great first thing in the morning when it opens at 7am. Free entrance, and very special in the morning.

We had 2.5 weeks, and went to 6 countries including an 11 night cruise. We had to be on top of what we wanted to do each day in order to see our choices.

Not exactly agreeing with you. Yes, you walk by and visit the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and the Pantheon. But, if you want to get in the Colosseum, Vatican Museum, Capitolini, Borghese Museum, or anything else that requires a ticketed entrance, you are better off to buy them in advance. Borghese and Vatican Museum are time-sensitive; the others expire after a period post-purchase. Buying them within the time period works well.
The Borgehse is the only one, in addition to the two I already mentioned (Vatican museums and Colosseum) that requires advance purchase. Any museum stop, like the Capitolini, probably isn't something you're just going to do because you happened by it, it's usually a more thought out decision because it eats up a lot of time. From the OP's original post it sounds like they've already identified the big stops they are going to make and are mostly looking for how to build around them without turning their days into a series of forced marches. Rome is ideal for what they have proposed.

Great ideas! We're in Rome for a few days before our cruise with our 14&16 yr olds in August. I appreciate all the info.

The only thing I was going to add is that we are planning on getting Roma Pass which gives metro transport and entrance to 1 or 2 skip the line sites and discounts elsewhere. Though we like to walk, I am anticipating hot weather and fatigue after long days so metro trips will help.

I like that you are going to go slow and easy on your arrival day. Stay outside as much as you can - I find the that helps with my jet lag. Staying in the Pantheon area, I have two recommendations for you for that first day/evening.

Right behind The Pantheon is one of my favorite churches in Europe, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. Looks really plain from the outside, but inside - it is the only Gothic church in Rome. Beautiful cuppola ceilings, a Michelangelo sculpture, cool crypts, and the remains of St. Catherine of Siena on display on the alter. It is a very peaceful and calming place for me, and it is a cool respite when it's scorching hot outside. Outside, is a very neat elephant and obelisk statue by Bernini.

Next, one of my favorite places for dinner and Rome and the one I always go to my first night is barely a block from The Pantheon - Armando al Pantheon. It's a very small trattoria. Renowned for the Roman cuisine. It is not a tourist place - every time I've been there it is a nice mix of local families and groups of friends and tourists. Reservations are mandatory. They have a website, armandoalpantheon.it (under maintenance today), but is easy to make them on the resdiary.com website.

At night, the piazza at The Pantheon has lots of families playing around, as does Piazza Navona just a few blocks and a short walk away. Regardless of where I am staying in Rome, I always spend one evening wandering this area!