Laundry in Rome

aichambaye

Hi all!

We are leaving out of Civitavecchia on July 9, but we are spending 10 days in Italy pre-cruise. We need to find a place where we can machine wash laundry but have the option NOT to dry it. Now, I don't mind using the drop off services where they wash and dry on hot for many things, but I have a LOT of things I never dry (jeans, anything made of linen, bras, underpants, tee shirts for myself and DH, all my dresses).

Can anyone tell me whether there is any self service laundry near the corner of Via Del Corso and Via Caravita in Rome central?

Lavanderia Amadio is about a half mile away on foot: http://www.lavanderieamadio.com/1/dove_siamo_4424228.html

Also a half mile away but in the opposite direction (toward Piazza Barberini) is Wash & Dry Amiin, Via degli Avignonesi, 17 (I don't find a web site for this one).

The first is not a self service place. It's a wash and dry and drycleaner, from what I can tell. This is what I keep running up against when I google. Believe me, I have googled. Lavanderia is the same word whether it's self service or a full service place.

But I am looking for people with experience actually using a place to see if it is actually self service

The second...who knows. It's probably another full service place that washes and dries for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The first is not a self service place. It's a wash and dry and drycleaner, from what I can tell. This is what I keep running up against when I google. Believe me, I have googled. Lavanderia is the same word whether it's self service or a full service place.

But I am looking for people with experience actually using a place to see if it is actually self service

The second...who knows. It's probably another full service place that washes and dries for you.

I'm can tell that you're frustrated but I'm not sure that being snotty to those who try to help is the best way to get others to jump in.

Various terms are used to describe laundry services and some places offer both self-service and provided services so it's hard to tell. Also, unless they are corporate chains (like the first one) it's not likely that they'll have a web site hence your frustration with google. I included the first because they listed themselves in a broad category on an Italian list site ... but you are correct that this does not guarantee they offer what you want.

Aqua Chic at Viale Delle Milizie, 102 has "self service" in their name. It's quite a bit further from your location (almost two miles) but it's a sure thing.

Lavanderia Self Punto Blu also puts it right out there in the name. At 168 Via Cavour it's closer (only a little over a mile) but a lot of that distance is uphill.

OP: if you are staying at a hotel, email the hotel (or the Concierge if they have one) and see if they have a recommendation for a self-serve lavanderia. If you are staying at an apartment, contact your rental host and see if they have a recommendation. These should be your first point of contact for such very local-specific questions. Any hotel/host worth their salt will be happy to assist.

We leave in 5 days and only staying three days in Rome. While I appreciate the tip (and since I spend 1-2 months in Europe every year, I do use holiday flats more often than not), no one would rent us a flat that would suit us in a decent location (central Rome) for only three days. That's the reason I'm asking for a self-service laundry.

We leave in 5 days and only staying three days in Rome. While I appreciate the tip (and since I spend 1-2 months in Europe every year, I do use holiday flats more often than not), no one would rent us a flat that would suit us in a decent location (central Rome) for only three days. That's the reason I'm asking for a self-service laundry.

Then, contact your hotelier. They know the neighborhood. They can direct you to someplace to get your laundry done. Sorry, but that is all I have. Even looking at yelp, TA, and other similar places on your behalf, I only found those listed in this thread.

I think you make a trade-off when you choose to stay in the heart of a downtown business/government area. Services focused on home life aren't going to be centered there (few grocery stores, laundries, hardware stores, etc.) so you'll probably going to have to travel to a more residential section, like the options already offered. A mile or two really isn't all that far.

For perspective, see how far you have to go from the White House/National Mall area before you find a laundromat.

Wait until you arrive. Then start asking. Sometimes the host, hotel or otherwise, are not aware of the self serve places. Last time in Palermo our B&B host had no idea that there was a self service laundromat 1K from her home and 100m from the market.

We had an identical experience in Civitavecchia. Hotel was not certain. In the end a local pointed us to a self serve laundromat three blocks up from the main drag, and wonderfully close to wine store and a local market.

Even if you get pointed in the right direction you really do need to look carefully. Often there is little or no signage. And be prepared for lots of stares from the local gossips who congregate in these places. If you are fortunate you will meet some fellow travellers, often Aussies, who you can trade travel/tour tips with. We travel light so these places are important to us.

Don't wait until you need one. Start asking when you arrive. Find out about their business hours. Some close during certain hours/days.

Edited by iancal

Lavanderia Self Punto Blu also puts it right out there in the name. At 168 Via Cavour it's closer (only a little over a mile) but a lot of that distance is uphill.

I used Punto Blu just two weeks ago. I dropped off my stuff for them to wash & fold, but the worker there was just using the self-service machines to do other people's laundry. If doing it yourself, I think it was around 3 Euro for the wash cycle and another Euro if you needed soap, but don't quote me on that. It is uphill from where you are...might be worth taking a taxi if you have a lot to carry.

There was another place another street up, but I didn't pop in to see what the difference was. If walking up Via Cavour towards the train station, you would turn left on Via di S Maria Maggiore, and it was a small shop on the right side of the street just a few doors down.