Chichen Itza tours from Cozumel - van or bus

noah53

It's a long way from Cozumel by either a van or a bus. Try flying there. More expensive but you get there in an hour, well before all the buses and vans do and you get a much longer private tour.

Very wise idea! We had friends that took a bus from Cozumel; one also has to include a ferry from Cozumel to mainland and back. Allow at least 5 hours to Chichen Itza. That allows you at most about 2 hours for the tour. Not enough time. Our friends were very disappointed.

We went there from an all inclusive in Riviera Maya. We got about 1/2 day there. Much better!

Very wise idea! We had friends that took a bus from Cozumel; one also has to include a ferry from Cozumel to mainland and back. Allow at least 5 hours to Chichen Itza. That allows you at most about 2 hours for the tour. Not enough time. Our friends were very disappointed.

We went there from an all inclusive in Riviera Maya. We got about 1/2 day there. Much better!

I agree 100%. Save this one for a port stop or land vacation to Cancun, and consider going to one of the (much less impressive) ruins on the island of Cozumel, or even better, see if there's an excursion to Tulum. It's quite spectacular and will give you a lot of time there as it's only about 30-45 minutes from Playa del Carmen where the ferries end up.

I agree 100%. Save this one for a port stop or land vacation to Cancun, and consider going to one of the (much less impressive) ruins on the island of Cozumel, or even better, see if there's an excursion to Tulum. It's quite spectacular and will give you a lot of time there as it's only about 30-45 minutes from Playa del Carmen where the ferries end up.

TULUM? UGH! Comparing Tulum to Chichen Itza is like comparing 7-11 to WALMART. Of course if you've never been to Chichen Itza, then TULUM will seem spectacular. Take plenty of water to either site. Oppressively hot!

We have not been to any Mayan ruins and are prepared for long travel and short time there but get to see Chichen itza. Yes ferry and either bus or van are the choices. There is no land vacation in cards for us so we are making the best of what's available. Water and more water will be in our bag in December. Also planning to do Lamanai & boat tour in Belize.

We did a tour with royal to chichen itza. It was a very long bus ride back and forth. Then ferry back and across also. Felt a little rushed at the ruins, but got to see most of the ruins. Also our guide was quite informative. Was well worth the travel time as we do not have a land vacation in Mexico in our future also. This was a great trip and would do it again if circumstances are the same.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

We did a tour with royal to chichen itza. It was a very long bus ride back and forth. Then ferry back and across also. Felt a little rushed at the ruins, but got to see most of the ruins. Also our guide was quite informative. Was well worth the travel time as we do not have a land vacation in Mexico in our future also. This was a great trip and would do it again if circumstances are the same.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Thanks, we have booked the bus tour to Chichen Itza. Still wonder what the difference is with the van tour.

Thanks, we have booked the bus tour to Chichen Itza. Still wonder what the difference is with the van tour.

The van is probably more expensive as fewer people on the van must share a similar cost for the driver; probably a more personalized tour.

On the othe rhand, with such a long drive both ways, bus would be much more comfortable.

The van is probably more expensive as fewer people on the van must share a similar cost for the driver; probably a more personalized tour.

On the othe rhand, with such a long drive both ways, bus would be much more comfortable.

They will use the same route. It is hours of driving through the forest on an interstate like toll road. Nothing to really see but vegetation. Sometimes you get to see monkeys crossing the road on the wires they set up. But all in all the drive to and from the ruins are pretty boring.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

We have put off visiting Chichen Itza until we can visit without feeling rushed from Cancun. If we were going to sightsee from Cozumel, with no plans of visiting again, we would do it by plane. It is about double the cost per person, but without the long drive. It is the same reason that we have found our helicopter excursions over volcanoes to be expensive, but well worth the cost.

For example,

Link: http://www.2dsdivingandtours.com/chichen-itza-tour-from-cozumel.html

We have not been to any Mayan ruins and are prepared for long travel and short time there but get to see Chichen itza. Yes ferry and either bus or van are the choices. There is no land vacation in cards for us so we are making the best of what's available. Water and more water will be in our bag in December. Also planning to do Lamanai & boat tour in Belize.

I also agree it is a long day but it was certainly worth it, we also took the Lamanai tour and really enjoyed that too. You can really see how they must have discovered the ruins in the middle of the rain forest because so little has actually been reclaimed.

Rosalyn

It's a long way from Cozumel by either a van or a bus. Try flying there. More expensive but you get there in an hour, well before all the buses and vans do and you get a much longer private tour.

I agree, it will probably not cost you that much more and you will have a much better time getting there earlier before the heat and the crowds. Plus flying over the site is worth the trip in and of itself.

JC

I've seen complaints here on the Mexico port of call boards that the ruins are "man made."

We know they are manmade, but the question is how long ago. My wife and I went to Cozumel on a Cruise 10 years ago. We visited the "ruins" and they were literally building them while we were there. Men were taking rocks in wheel barrows and stacking them. HA

A trip there is very much worth the expense...but I have to agree it is a VERY long day. If you really want to see the site it takes well more than the two hours you would have.

I strongly suggest saving this for a land vacation. Additionally, if it can fit into your calendar, schedule that vacation so you can be there on the equinox. That is what we did when we visited. Just be prepared for the crowd...there had to have been 100,000 people there to see the Shadow of the Snake God.

Hi everyone

We are booked on the Rcl Allure Feb 25, 2018

We really wanted to go to Tulum - Mayan Ruins.

It is not listed in our shore excursions to book.

Could it be too early and possibly available later?

Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...