ATM Useage

propwash

So I've tried to find the correct answer to the questions about using ATM Debit cards in Italy. Seems like half of answers are that you NEED a 4 digit pin and the other half says what ever your pin setup on your debit card works. My debit card is 5 digits. If the debit card is part of the PLUS Network, would it not know my pin no matter where I use it? I've looked at sites like Rick Steves where he talks about it needing to be 4 digits, but dated back 5+ years and my bank online say 4 digits.

If anyone really knows which is correct, I would appreciate the answer.

THANKS to all

Danny

Your best resource is your bank but it may take a lot of patience on your part to find someone who truly understands the details of your question. Many of the people who answer the phones have no personal experience with this issue and they may not understand what you are asking the first time through.

I just did this recently, like last week for an upcoming trip. I also called the credit cards and got a pin number for those cards as well, just in case. And they are all four digit pin numbers.

Have a great trip!

Kathy

Are those PINs for cash advances? Those come with hefty fees. I sense they aren't PINs for standard card uses.

Are those PINs for cash advances? Those come with hefty fees. I sense they aren't PINs for standard card uses.

Yes they are for cash advances (which we don't plan on using) in case of an emergency. I have no foreign transaction fees on my credit cards so I will use them as credit, but just in case I wanted to be prepared.

Kathy

Ask this question or research on a tripadvisor forum. You might get a more accurate or more up to date response. Or experience is that when we do have a land based question we generally get a far more complete and accurate response on a tripadvisor forum.

We have always used four number pins with no issue. Only difference is that some ATMS will have higher limits than others. We follow the usual safety precautions when selecting an ATM and when using it.