Sydney Accomodation for Solstice cruise March 2017

magpies66

We are taking our first cruise in March next year and are looking for ideas re most convenient accommodation in Sydney. Are we better off staying within walking distance of the terminal or catching a cab from further out and getting dropped off at the door? Does anyone have any favourite hotels or suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are taking our first cruise in March next year and are looking for ideas re most convenient accommodation in Sydney. Are we better off staying within walking distance of the terminal or catching a cab from further out and getting dropped off at the door? Does anyone have any favourite hotels or suggestions?

The Pullman Quay. On the Quay, bridge view, suite room, balcony overlooking where the ships docks...Steps away from ferries, buses and trains.

As long as you do not have too much luggage perfectly walkable to and from the cruise terminal. They also arranged early check in and late check out for our end of cruise stay.

Just to add extra value you have a full kitchen including washer dryer (so useful after a few days sightseeing before boarding).

We enjoyed the balcony so much we actually dined in last night of stay, we quite simply could not book into any restaurant with a better view! On your balcony you can hear the buskers, see the ferries and the people come and go, then you go in, close the door and it is quiet but those views are still stunning.

Last time we stayed in Sydney we booked a suite room at the Intercontinental mainly for the view and club lounge. It was also really good but for us the Pullman Quay was so much better.

Have a great Sydney stay and cruise!

The Sydney Cruise terminal is at Circular Quay which is a fantastic place to stay IMO. I'd recommend a hotel in this area as it the transport hub for Sydney and very easy to get anywhere. There's a wide range of good hotels here.

The Intercontinental is close but I find it difficult to recommend as I've had real service problems both times I've stopped there.

I think the Holiday Inn at the Rocks might well be the closest to the terminal.

The Four Seasons is well located but the rooms are small. The Park Hyatt has a great location by the bridge but is priced.

The Shangri La might be worth looking at, particularly if you can get an Opera House view room.

Very slightly further away The Langham (formerly the Orient Express) seems to be getting good reviews.

Next door to The Intercontinental and a very short walk to the Opera House, if you like the idea of a hotel decorated in an old world club style The Sir Stamford at Circular Quay might be worth looking at (used to be a Ritz Carlton)

The Holiday Inn, The Rocks, is THE closest, literally across the road, not bad either. The Park Hyatt is 2nd closest (at a guess) but about 5 times the price.

We stay at the HI as a rule before we cruise.

Edited by GUT2407

Holiday Inn The Rocks is two minutes walk to the Cruise Terminal, close to Circular Quay station & The Bridge & a short stroll to the Opera House.We have stayed there twice & found the service excellent. I have always booked thru their website & have found that booking early & prepaying gets me the best price. Lots of cafes & restaurants close by too.

Edited by Martinjjd

We recently returned from a cruise that ended in Sydney. We stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Rocks because of its location; it was VERY close to the terminal and in a great area for cafes, nightlife, etc. However, I felt that the location was the only thing to recommend it. The room was small, basic, and reminded me of a Holiday Inn Express but at a much higher price. I wouldn't recommend it over other hotels in the area in the same price range.

We recently returned from a cruise that ended in Sydney. We stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Rocks because of its location; it was VERY close to the terminal and in a great area for cafes, nightlife, etc. However, I felt that the location was the only thing to recommend it. The room was small, basic, and reminded me of a Holiday Inn Express but at a much higher price. I wouldn't recommend it over other hotels in the area in the same price range.

This is my problem with Holiday Inn brand - there is a lot variability in the product offered (a risk of franchising perhaps). Some of the newer builds are very good but often it seems that it is then a long long time till they get refurbed.

If looking at the IHG Group I tend to prefer the Crowne Plaza and Idigo brands. IHG can be great (Hong Kong) but also very average (Sydney)

Thank you everyone for your input.

We are coming from Melbourne and only staying the night before the cruise. We thought about flying in on the morning of the cruise but are a bit worried about flight delays etc. Walking is not a problem, but heavy luggage is, so we are weighing up the options. I will look into it again now, armed with extra knowledge. Thanks again.

Thanks Oz. I had looked at that one but someone told me it was hard to get luggage to the ship from there. I'm glad to hear that's not so [emoji2]

Edited by magpies66

Hi magpies, I am from Sydney but now live in Brisbane. I went on a cruise only last week that ended up in Sydney. My friends and I booked the Meriton Pitt Street for one night. Fabulous views and close to Town Hall Station where you can easily get around and walk to Darling Harbour or The Rocks and Circular Quay. Yes it is a bit of a hike to the ship terminal (we docked in Rozelle but you may dock in Circular Quay) but you can cab it to the terminal without too much drama. You can even set a fee with the cabbie that we used. I can send you the name of a cabbie we used to do this if you want. We also booked the Meriton Bondi Junction (my old stomping ground :D) for a night and the views were out of this world. Both views were great but the Bondi Junction one was better. Reasonable for a two bedroom apartment if you are travelling with others. They also have one bedroom apartments. Have a great trip!

561827185_MeritonBondiJunction4.jpg.97b98674eb1233b858a70f8660e0e6d5.jpg

2018466908_MeritonBondiJunction1.jpg.66c8207c8e0b3cd7318d67fe61a759af.jpg

Another vote for the Holiday Inn in the Rocks. We stayed there in November and indeed it is a block and a half walk, mostly downhill to the ship..... Our room was a standard room and we found it quite nice. One note, there are not a lot of places around there for breakfast so take the breakfast package from the hotel. Get up early and take some time to walk around the harbor and enjoy the sights and sounds. Also be aware that once you are on the ship, you cannot get off. You can drop your bags, you can check in but once you go through security you are on the ship to stay until your next port. Not that it is a bad thing but some people plan to walk about the area after they board. Oh, there is a very nice, quiet Italian restaurant right behind the hotel that was very reasonable and the food and service were very good.

Having stayed for one night before our cruise this March we stayed at the

Harbour Rocks Hotel by MGallery collection, it is literally a one minute walk downhill to the terminal, great rooms and location, would recommend it to anyone.

This is where we have stayed several times. And I travel with a train of three suitcases.

Lots of comments on the practicalities of the hotels but if I am honest, after staying in Sydney a couple of times, if I only had one night I would go for a room with a view.

Look out in the evening to the lights and buzz, then in the morning set your alarm early to see your cruise ship arrive in port...

Whatever hotel you choose have a great stay and a wonderful cruise!

Is the ship leaving from white bay or circular quay,dosent really matter stay anywhere on darling harbour. Taxi to white bay is only $30/40.Visit the vampire and onslow at the aus maritime museum.Have a lobster dinner at Nicks seafood for $25 a head.Buy a aboriginal t shirt and wear it onboard.opera house and barangaroo are an easy walk away.heaps to do around darling harbour.

Edited by mrs and mrs

We stayed for 5 nights pre cruise at the Medina Grand Harbour, using timeshare points, so I can't tell you how much it cost.

We were close to the Maritime Museum and took ferries to Circular Quay, which was easy as we had a weekly season ticket given to us by a friend who lived in Sydney.

We loved the Shangri La for the view we got but it was a steep walk up to it. We were glad that we took a taxi there when we arrived as it would have been too hard with the cases. The walk down was quick to Circular Quay.

The Pullman Quay. On the Quay, bridge view, suite room, balcony overlooking where the ships docks...Steps away from ferries, buses and trains.

As long as you do not have too much luggage perfectly walkable to and from the cruise terminal. They also arranged early check in and late check out for our end of cruise stay.

Just to add extra value you have a full kitchen including washer dryer (so useful after a few days sightseeing before boarding).

We enjoyed the balcony so much we actually dined in last night of stay, we quite simply could not book into any restaurant with a better view! On your balcony you can hear the buskers, see the ferries and the people come and go, then you go in, close the door and it is quiet but those views are still stunning.

Last time we stayed in Sydney we booked a suite room at the Intercontinental mainly for the view and club lounge. It was also really good but for us the Pullman Quay was so much better.

Have a great Sydney stay and cruise!

That sounds lovely but the website keeps saying nothing is available on the night before our cruise (24/3/17). Surely it's not booked out already! It would be just my luck [emoji20]

Edited by magpies66

That sounds lovely but the website keeps saying nothing is available on the night before our cruise (24/3/17). Surely it's not booked out already! It would be just my luck [emoji20]

It may be booked out.

Email or ring them. They sometimes don't have rates for next year yet. :):)