Barcelona walk from pier to La Sagrada?

cruise8x+

Looked up walking map on google should take 1.5 hours we're in port from 8-8. After reading about the pick pockets I'm wondering if it is safe to walk around Barcelona. We wanted to visit Las Ramblas and Gothic area either on the way to La Sagrada or back to the ship. We've been on a tour last time we were in Barcelona, but did not go inside La Sagrada I already bought tickets online for at 3:00 pm. We are walkers so the time and distance is not a problem only the areas we would be going through. Any advise?

We walked around Barcelona quite a bit on a three day pre-cruise there a couple of years ago. We were in crowds at the market on Las Ramblas (for get the name) and we stayed in the Gothic quarter. We were "aware" of our surroundings and always felt "safe." All that said I'd consider taking the subway to La Sagrada and walking back to the ship. That way your walk is downhill.:p

We were in Barcelona May 2014. We took a cab from the pier to La Sagrada (12 Euros) and then walked back (via Casa Mila and Casa Battlo) and down Las Ramblas. There were always lots of people out and about and we did not feel hesitant about walking anywhere in those areas. We did have to stop to ask for directions a couple of times even though we had a map.

I like the idea of taking cab there and walking back. This way you can see for yourself how far the walk is.

We are good walkers and it is quite a walk from the pier roundtrip. We were in a Barcelona last summer and I would say that if yiu keep your eyes open and alert to your surroundings it is no worse than any other place. Actually on our last visit we thought it seemed better. There are alot of tourists and cruisers in Barcelona, as this is the busiest port in the Mediterranean, So it is in their best interest to clean up petty crime against tourists!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Frankly I think it is safer walking around Barcelona than using the metro ( where my husband's wallet was stolen.) We walked from our hotel on the Passeig de Gracia near Placa Catyluna to the Guadi Parc Guell and to Sagrada. If you are a walker go for it if the weather is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you're careful, walking is fine. I would also recommend taking a cab both so that you can see how far the walk is (I think it's far) and also what your timing is. That way if you decide to stay longer at La Sagrada, you can take a cab back. If you take a cab partially back, you will also have the option of seeing other things (like the Gothic Quarter).

We actually did walk from the Bari Gothic area (near Las Ramblas) to Sagrada Familia. Much of the walk was not in a busy area with many other pedestrians.

As for the pickpockets, just don't carry much in your pockets, just enough cash for the day. Be on alert and wear a money belt (guys) and women carry a packsafe purse.

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona. I went back twice and did the HOHO bus and a tour another time. I would only take your ship card, a few Euros or a credit card in your front pocket, a bottle of water and a disposable camera. No one will steal a disposable one but they did steal my real one.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

• 2 weeks later...

When you say that they did steal your camera , you mean they were armed ( knife, gun) or they were many and forced you to give or they take away from you because you were not aware of them and left it loose , unattended?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in Barcelona a couple of months back for a 4 night mini break, myself and my 18yr old daughter. We went on countless metros, walked all over the place, saw everything there was to see - and didn't feel at all unsafe... but we were actively "careful"

By that I mean, we didnt wear good jewellery, we only carried small purses that we could tuck into our bodies, didnt use anything higher than 10E notes for purchases. We walked with a real purpose so it looked like we knew where we were going. Like in any city, try not to look lost!

If you do use the metro, pay extra attention to your surroundings. I noticed that locals closely looked at everyone else around them. To begin with I felt odd about this (like my style was being assessed) -but then I noticed that everyone was looking at everyone. I think if I was a pickpocket and I knew I could be thoroughly identified this might just put me off picking that person. This is of course totally at odds with what you find on a London underground where people will not even make eye contact!

I agree with taking a cab and walking back to the pier. DH and I were in BCN last October. We were using the HOHO bus, but, wanted to shorten our trip. We got off at the Segrada Famila and walked to the Pedrara. [sp?] It was a lot longer of a walk than it looked on the map.

BCN is full of motorbikes. To make parking for these the corners of most side streets we passed were clipped diagonally. So, instead of forming a T the intersection they had a large diamond shaped opening where the roads met and motorbikes parked along the diagonals. We had to walk around each of these areas. That is where the crosswalks were. This added extra steps at each intersection. It was a tiring walk. Just an FYI.