Dress code

lbfluffy

What do you all usually wear in the main dining room? And how about the specialty restaurants? My friend is wondering because she rarely wears dresses. I personally love dressing up since I never get a chance to.

Usually there is one main dining room that is more dressed up, requiring pants for example instead of allowing shorts. There is always another main dining room though, that allows basically anything. Not wearing a dress in either is not a problem!

I am like you btw, I actually like to dress up, and I use cruises as a great way to do just that! :). And to me, dresses are what I wear.

Edited by maja651

What do you all usually wear in the main dining room? And how about the specialty restaurants? My friend is wondering because she rarely wears dresses. I personally love dressing up since I never get a chance to.

The dress codes are mostly very relaxed, no need to wear dresses if one doesn't want to. There are people that do like dress up and people that do not, everyone fits in the restaurants.

Official dress code from NCL's FAQ: http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

The dress codes are mostly very relaxed, no need to wear dresses if one doesn't want to. There are people that do like dress up and people that do not, everyone fits in the restaurants.

Official dress code from NCL's FAQ: http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

I have to laugh...

The "Dress Code" questions here at CC remind me of Jack Nicholson's

(Melvin Udall) quote from the movie, "As Good As It Gets":

Melvin Udall: No. I - I don't get this place. They make me buy a new outfit, and they let you in with a house dress. I don't get it.

[He has no idea that he has insulted Carol. Sandbagged in extreme, she gets up, actually ready to leave.]

Melvin Udall: What? W-wait. No. Wait. Why? Where you going? No. Why? I mean, I . . . uh, I didn't mean it that way.I mean, you gotta sit down.

You can still give me the dirty look, just sit down and give it to me.

Edited by $hip$hape

I've seen practically everything. Neat & clean (but not shorts) ought to be fine.

We dress up because we enjoy it & it seems more fitting to the elegant dining rooms but most NCL folks are resort casual most of the time.

I've seen practically everything. Neat & clean (but not shorts) ought to be fine.

We dress up because we enjoy it & it seems more fitting to the elegant dining rooms but most NCL folks are resort casual most of the time.

Actually shorts are allowed everywhere but the Aft MDR and Le Bistro too.

Actually shorts are allowed everywhere but the Aft MDR and Le Bistro too.

Actually, on the NCL Breakaway, if you choose the Manhattan Room(MDR), Ocean Blue or Le Bistro you are asked wear slacks or nice jeans.

Or, formal Bermuda attire;

A coat, tie, knee socks, dress shoes and Bermuda shorts.:)

bermuda2_i0000b5.jpg

at least, whist docked in Bermuda.

Edited by $hip$hape

I look at the cruise as an opportunity to 'dress up'. Not necessarily dresses, but nice pants, long skirts, etc. That's only at night of course when we go for dinner or drinks.

I do it (and so do my travelling companions) because it makes us feel 'good'.

But, I don't think it really matters ... you will see all matters of dress on the ship. Whatever floats your boat:D

Cheers,

Sandra

No one used the term "smart casual." I laugh every time I hear that. It sounds so silly. But we have to have rules or there will always be the guy who asks if he can wear his pool-side flip flops (yuk!!) to the Manhattan Room.:rolleyes:

No one used the term "smart casual." I laugh every time I hear that. It sounds so silly.

Probably not a lot of people outside Europe know that there's a in between style between white socks, tennis shoes, untucked t-shirt and shorts and dressed to the nines like going to a ball. ;)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

• 4 weeks later...

When I go into the fancy restaurants I just wear a pair of charcoal Dockers-like pants (I think they're Walmart store brand though ;) ) with my nice white (clean) running shoes. Then a cheap polo shirt (again, probably Walmart store brand). Green or red or even yellow - whatever. It all works for me. Sometimes I even wear one of my loud Hawaiian shirts, tucked or untucked, depending on what suits my fancy that particular day.

As a guy who wears nothing but rock'n'roll/sports teams t-shirts and shabby jeans/cargo shorts every other day of the year, it's quite a treat for my wife. I believe the term is "hot & bothered".

When I go into the fancy restaurants I just wear a pair of charcoal Dockers-like pants (I think they're Walmart store brand though ;) ) with my nice white (clean) running shoes. Then a cheap polo shirt (again, probably Walmart store brand). Green or red or even yellow - whatever. It all works for me. Sometimes I even wear one of my loud Hawaiian shirts, tucked or untucked, depending on what suits my fancy that particular day.

As a guy who wears nothing but rock'n'roll/sports teams t-shirts and shabby jeans/cargo shorts every other day of the year, it's quite a treat for my wife. I believe the term is "hot & bothered".

Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!

On my recent cruises on the Pearl and the Jewel, I saw more folks dressed casually than dressed up for dinner times.

The biggest percentage of women wore pants and nice tops. Not fancy, sparkly-type tops. Just casual tops. I did see several women with slacks and sparkly/sequined tops. I did see some women wearing simple cocktail dresses. But the biggest percentage of women were just dressed simply, in pants and simple tops.

I didn't see very man women wearing jeans to dinner. I noticed more men than women wearing jeans to dinner. I don't remember seeing folks wearing shorts to dinner in the main dining rooms. I'm sure there must have been some, though. But, then, these were Alaska cruises, so not so many people are wearing shorts anyway!!!!!

You will really fit in no matter what you wear!!!! That is what is so great about Freestyle Cruising!!!!! YES!!

We're going on the Sky 4 day in less the 2 weeks. I have read that it is one of the more "casual" ships in the fleet.

I really don't want to over pack by taking too many clothes and not wearing them. I have nice pants, dresses, shorts, capri's, tanks, nice tops, etc. all laid out in the spare room. DH has the same (minus the dresses & capris) plus he also has polo shirts.

What we would wear in the day off the ship isn't what we would wear at night for dinner so we already have 8 changes of clothes for 4 days ready to pack. Plus sandals for me and boat shoes for him.

I have read people are wearing shorts and T-shirts in the MDR's. I don't want to take a chance and do that and be the only ones. At the same time I don't want to be the only ones who are dressed up either. I would like to be as casual as possible.

Should I just forget about the dress for myself and stick with the nice pants/capri's? Should I pack him one pair of long pants and leave the shorts for the rest of the time?

I know it's probably an individual choice but we have never cruised before so I really have nothing to compare it to but others opinions and experiences.

It just seems that right now I have an awful lot of clothes to pack for a 4 day trip.

Edited by sunflower47

We're going on the Sky 4 day in less the 2 weeks. I have read that it is one of the more "casual" ships in the fleet.

I really don't want to over pack by taking too many clothes and not wearing them. I have nice pants, dresses, shorts, capri's, tanks, nice tops, etc. all laid out in the spare room. DH has the same (minus the dresses & capris) plus he also has polo shirts.

What we would wear in the day off the ship isn't what we would wear at night for dinner so we already have 8 changes of clothes for 4 days ready to pack. Plus sandals for me and boat shoes for him.

I have read people are wearing shorts and T-shirts in the MDR's. I don't want to take a chance and do that and be the only ones. At the same time I don't want to be the only ones who are dressed up either. I would like to be as casual as possible.

Should I just forget about the dress for myself and stick with the nice pants/capri's? Should I pack him one pair of long pants and leave the shorts for the rest of the time?

I know it's probably an individual choice but we have never cruised before so I really have nothing to compare it to but others opinions and experiences.

It just seems that right now I have an awful lot of clothes to pack for a 4 day trip.

You can wear short and a polo shirt to every meal and venue except for the two mentioned. The large MDR and Le Bistro for dinner only. If you don't plan to eat in either of those for dinner, shorts and a shirt will do it all, and you will never be the only one!!

Slacks and a polo will cover you 100%, your choice. Even the Chef's Table can be done in dockers and a polo shirt.

Don't over think it. The folks that like to "dress up" make up less than 10% and probably even less than that. There are a few that will tell you it's a scandal to not dress up, I say, it's NCL's guidelines and if their happy, I'm happy.:D

You can wear short and a polo shirt to every meal and venue except for the two mentioned. The large MDR and Le Bistro for dinner only. If you don't plan to eat in either of those for dinner, shorts and a shirt will do it all, and you will never be the only one!!

Slacks and a polo will cover you 100%, your choice. Even the Chef's Table can be done in dockers and a polo shirt.

Don't over think it. The folks that like to "dress up" make up less than 10% and probably even less than that. There are a few that will tell you it's a scandal to not dress up, I say, it's NCL's guidelines and if their happy, I'm happy.:D

As stated above shorts are now permitted in the Aft MDR. Shorts are allowed in all venues except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro.

As stated above shorts are now permitted in the Aft MDR. Shorts are allowed in all venues except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro.

Is there a new written NCL Dress Code policy you can share with us which states that shorts are now allowed in the aft MDR at dinner? Only exception I know of is on embarkation day when luggage may not have been delivered to cabins in time to change for dinner. Otherwise, long pants are required for men.

The quote you referenced as confirming the "shorts allowed policy" is actually saying the opposite.

Quote from the day two daily on last weeks Getaway cruise.

Dress Code: Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except

Ocean Blue & Le Bistro after 5:00pm. Shoes & shirt must be worn.

I was shocked as well.

I was on the Getaway last week and our group did in fact include a cruiser wearing shorts the Aft MDR. No questions asked.

Quote from the day two daily on last weeks Getaway cruise.

Dress Code: Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except

Ocean Blue & Le Bistro after 5:00pm. Shoes & shirt must be worn.

I was shocked as well.

I was on the Getaway last week and our group did in fact include a cruiser wearing shorts the Aft MDR. No questions asked.

Standards dropping further. Freestyle shouldn't mean anything goes. Shorts in buffet restaurants are fine, but I seriously dislike the idea of such poor standards in MDR's. And before anyone says, well you don't have to eat at that particular venue, that's not the point.

I have not worn a dress on an NCL cruise in several years. For dinner, I change out of my bathing suit and put on pants and a shirt. If I'm wearing a tank top, I'll put on a shrug or informal jacket of some kind. I'll wear Tivas or closed shoes depending on how I feel that day.

Your friend doesn't have to get dressed up. YOU can get as dressed up as you feel like being.