Schiphol Worst Transfer Ever (Lyon KLM Hopper City 1412 to DeltaD231 Boston)

MeridianSkipper

Schiphol probably works well for those with EU passports. For others beware especially if your transfer occurs mid-morning.

We arrived at passport control confronted by a passenger-mob without organization (i.e. no formal queues, pushing/shoving, generally chaotic crowd). After a one hour ordeal, we finally passed through passport control to be similarly harried by a hundred-plus queue awaiting Delta security checks. After that ordeal, no seating was available in the departure lounge.

One young official did do an excellent job as he attempted, with some success, to bring order to the passport control chaos.

Clearly, we should have recognized the problem when our boarding pass indicated a 0935 boarding for an 1110 departure.

Lesson learned, question vigorously any routing provided by a cruise provider, in this case Viking

We encountered the same thing on our first Med cruise back in 2008 or 09. Both flights connected in Schipol and it was horrendous. Last month, we also connected in AMS but very early in the morning, I think 1 or 2AM. I was prepared for the worst after having flashbacks of our first trip but no. There were no lines at all and our travel friends wondered if I'd exaggerated the whole thing.

We connected in CDG on our return home and it was back to chaos again. :eek:

a hundred-plus queue awaiting Delta security checks. After that ordeal, no seating was available in the departure lounge.

At least once in the DL security line, you don't have to worry about missing your flight.

Also, I greatly prefer to stand in the waiting area before boarding a transatlantic flight. I will be sitting for hours in the plane, so standing makes the most sense to me beforehand.

I think it is fair to stipulate that almost any airport can be "connecting hell" at certain times. It is unfeasible to build an airport that handles peak volumes with no delays at security, passport control or check-in. It would be like building a 40 lane freeway - it could easily handle peak volumes but would be a waste of resources, both human and capital.

If you catch the time when everyone else is arriving with you, you are stuck. And so are they. If you miss that push, you are fine.

Personally, I've had good experiences at AMS. Short immigration lines when passing in/out of Schengen, reasonable security screening and a clearly laid out terminal. Of course, as always, YMMV.

Much depends on what time of the day, but also your destination.

Flights to the USA have a much higher security check (each passenger will be inteviewed, that costs time) then other destinations.

In the past I had bad experiences with Frankfurt, but certainly a few times also upon arriving in the USA.

We arrived at passport control confronted by a passenger-mob without organization (i.e. no formal queues, pushing/shoving, generally chaotic crowd).

I'm confused here, you said you were flying in KLM CityHopper from Lyon, there shouldnt have been any passport control as both France and the Netherlands are Schengen countries.

I'm confused here, you said you were flying in KLM CityHopper from Lyon, there shouldnt have been any passport control as both France and the Netherlands are Schengen countries.
It would have been Schengen exit immigration as the OP was leaving Schengenland from AMS to go to the USA.

Viking Cruise Lines responded almost immediately to my critique concerning Schiphol. The response was more than positive.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone can convince me that Schiphol and Delta did an adequate job.

As I wrote earlier, the one young official did job considering the mob atmosphere of the event.

Viking Cruise Lines responded almost immediately to my critique concerning Schiphol. The response was more than positive.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone can convince me that Schiphol and Delta did an adequate job.

As I wrote earlier, the one young official did job considering the mob atmosphere of the event.

The great thing about a free market is that you can take your money elsewhere in the future. It may cost more, it may cost less, but you can take your money to any airline and any connecting airport you desire.

I'm gonna take a wild guess, and nothing more, at what the issue was.

A large number of travelers were going out from the Schengen zone. They were confused as to the process, had issues with their documentation, and basically acted as a directionless mob. All it takes is for 2 or 3 lines to get bogged down by a "problem" passenger and the whole situation goes to hell. There were probably language issues as well, plus a desire to be in a mob rather than to instinctively queue up.

I worked at Schiphol for many many years. I must say I do not really recognize the situation you are mentioning. The gate interview has been a problem for many years, but that has less to do with KLM, Delta or Amsterdam, but more with the problem that it is a lengthy process. It is a miracle planes to the States leave at all....I can assure you I have been interviewed many times at airports on flights to the US, and the same issues for example arise also in Madrid or Cancun at the gate of American Airlines.

09:35 is not boarding time, it is the time you have to present yourself for the interview. If you are there at that time, no lines, and you are allowed back out after the interview with a sticker on your boarding pass. The US government wants everybody to be interviewed, but they haven't thought of the possibility that people will turn up at the interview who only speak Albanian or Xhosa. Then the whole process comes to a grinding halt whilst KLM and security frantically try to find a staff member or a fellow passenger who can communicate with the passenger.

And as for passport control, that can also happen anywhere in the world. Multiple flights arriving at the same time can cause delays. I remember a particularly bad situation in LAX once, where it took us more than 2 hours to just get to passport control. Reason: a plane load full of Asians in front of us, and nobody spoke any english at all.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that have traveled frequently through AMS, what's a reasonable layover time to aim for if coming back into the States? We'll be flying out of Barcelona and connecting to Detroit.

I worked at Schiphol for many many years. I must say I do not really recognize the situation you are mentioning. The gate interview has been a problem for many years, but that has less to do with KLM, Delta or Amsterdam, but more with the problem that it is a lengthy process. It is a miracle planes to the States leave at all....I can assure you I have been interviewed many times at airports on flights to the US, and the same issues for example arise also in Madrid or Cancun at the gate of American Airlines.

09:35 is not boarding time, it is the time you have to present yourself for the interview. If you are there at that time, no lines, and you are allowed back out after the interview with a sticker on your boarding pass. The US government wants everybody to be interviewed, but they haven't thought of the possibility that people will turn up at the interview who only speak Albanian or Xhosa. Then the whole process comes to a grinding halt whilst KLM and security frantically try to find a staff member or a fellow passenger who can communicate with the passenger.

And as for passport control, that can also happen anywhere in the world. Multiple flights arriving at the same time can cause delays. I remember a particularly bad situation in LAX once, where it took us more than 2 hours to just get to passport control. Reason: a plane load full of Asians in front of us, and nobody spoke any english at all.

MCT at AMS for that connection is 50 minutes. I'd want more than that, if only so that I can enjoy the airport and not rush, but AMS is efficient though big. Anything over 1:30 should be plenty of time for that flight. Just remember, you have a security screening + interview at the gate, so allow extra time for that.

You will have an exit immigration process as you leave the Schengen section of the airport. If you are delayed, look for a "short connection" line (if posted). Personally, I've never waited more than 2 minutes at the outbound immigration booth.

Go to the Schiphol website and look at the terminal map layout. Get a good feel for how the airport is laid out. IIRC, DL flights leave from the E "pier".

Personally, if you have a choice of two flights, take the longer connection and enjoy AMS - one of the best European airports for a connection. If, OTOH, your question was to reassure yourself on a decision you have made (or about to make).....there you are.

I appreciate the insight. We're ready to book our tickets and have a return choice of 1.5 or 3.5 hr layovers on a Monday afternoon. I had previously found the Delta designation for E, studied the terminal map... but the talk of chaotic lines and long waits had me second guessing myself. I appreciate the insight from a traveler who has frequented the airport.

Thanks much,

~ Sheryl

MCT at AMS for that connection is 50 minutes. I'd want more than that, if only so that I can enjoy the airport and not rush, but AMS is efficient though big. Anything over 1:30 should be plenty of time for that flight. Just remember, you have a security screening + interview at the gate, so allow extra time for that.

You will have an exit immigration process as you leave the Schengen section of the airport. If you are delayed, look for a "short connection" line (if posted). Personally, I've never waited more than 2 minutes at the outbound immigration booth.

Go to the Schiphol website and look at the terminal map layout. Get a good feel for how the airport is laid out. IIRC, DL flights leave from the E "pier".

Personally, if you have a choice of two flights, take the longer connection and enjoy AMS - one of the best European airports for a connection. If, OTOH, your question was to reassure yourself on a decision you have made (or about to make).....there you are.

I appreciate the insight. We're ready to book our tickets and have a return choice of 1.5 or 3.5 hr layovers on a Monday afternoon.

Take the 3.5 hours. You have several advantages with that.

1) If the flight from BCN is delayed, you have much more cushion to absorb that delay.

2) You have time for shopping in the airport. Some say that AMS is a shopping mall that happens to have airplanes nearby.

3) You can visit the museum in the airport. Located between the E and F piers, it's a great little gem if you like classic art.

4) You don't have to rush. Plenty of time to stroll between flights. You can also get some good food if you prefer that to airline meals. Can't remember the name of the seafood place right now, but you can't miss it. Many other outlets as well.

5) It's not like you have to catch another flight once you arrive at DTW. The only downside might be that you catch rush-hour traffic on I-94 if you arrive late enough in the afternoon.

Schiphol probably works well for those with EU passports. For others beware especially if your transfer occurs mid-morning.

We arrived at passport control confronted by a passenger-mob without organization (i.e. no formal queues, pushing/shoving, generally chaotic crowd). After a one hour ordeal, we finally passed through passport control to be similarly harried by a hundred-plus queue awaiting Delta security checks. After that ordeal, no seating was available in the departure lounge.

One young official did do an excellent job as he attempted, with some success, to bring order to the passport control chaos.

Clearly, we should have recognized the problem when our boarding pass indicated a 0935 boarding for an 1110 departure.

Lesson learned, question vigorously any routing provided by a cruise provider, in this case Viking

Please do not change the default font for the board. Your post is extremely difficult to read.

The problem you described can happen at any international airport. If a bunch of flights are arriving or departing at the same time, it can cause long lines.

I have flown through/to Schiphol many times and have not ever encountered the chaos you described. The same thing could have happened at any other major transfer point in Europe.

3) You can visit the museum in the airport. Located between the E and F piers, it's a great little gem if you like classic art.

4) You don't have to rush. Plenty of time to stroll between flights. You can also get some good food if you prefer that to airline meals. Can't remember the name of the seafood place right now, but you can't miss it. Many other outlets as well.

The museum and strolling are an easy sell for me. Both sound lovely. Again, thank you for your help.

On the way over, we have a choice of DTW to ATL with 3 hr layover before heading to BCN or DTW to AMS with a 4 hr layover before heading to BCN - both on a Saturday. Any pros or cons I should pay heed to selecting one over another? I'm leaning towards the ATL layover in case we have any trouble getting out of DTW. There are several other flights heading to the main ATL hub in case ours has problems. Don't know if my luggage changing planes in ATL vs. AMS is something that needs to be considered?

On the way over, we have a choice of DTW to ATL with 3 hr layover before heading to BCN or DTW to AMS with a 4 hr layover before heading to BCN - both on a Saturday.
My own preference would be to go DTW-AMS-BCN. Thoughts:

1) If there are weather issues at DTW, both flights to ATL and AMS would be affected. AMS less so, in that the aircraft has probably come in from Europe and not from somewhere else in the USA.

2) If DTW-AMS goes mechanical, there are other options to get you out of DTW. Reroutes through ATL or JFK or CDG are possible. Or even other cities in Europe.

3) The ATL-BCN frequency is daily, so if that goes MX (mechanical), you are going to have to be rerouted through a Euro-hub anyway.

4) DTW-AMS is most likely on an A330, while ATL-BCN is likely 767 (though I could be very wrong depending on your dates). The 330s are newer and I prefer them to the 767s, which are getting long in the tooth unless you have are in business and have the staggered flat-bed mods. This is personal preference.

5) DTW is a significant enough DL hub that there will be reroute options, perhaps even more than ATL (which serves many destinations, but with limited frequency).

6) Arriving at BCN from ATL, you'll be early in the day. Unlikely your hotel will be available.

7) Finally, would you rather have your "connection break" before your TATL segment or after?

If you do go the ATL route, consider having a nice dinner before your flight at One Flew South, a great restaurant in the E concourse. And one more small item...you get 460 more FF miles via ATL. :)

Again, these are my personal preferences. YMMV.

If you do go the ATL route, consider having a nice dinner before your flight at One Flew South, a great restaurant in the E concourse. And one more small item...you get 460 more FF miles via ATL. :)

Again, these are my personal preferences. YMMV.

I took those extra 460FF... lol Tickets booked. Thanks again for your help. ;)

Archived