Upgrade fairy or devil?! FF to EE

Kristal Blade

I booked a guaranteed FF cabin on Rotterdam and have been given an upgrade to EE cabin. Sounds great, but the cabin is on Lower Promenade deck with a partial sea view. It is next to one of the doors which open out onto the deck.

I had booked an unobstructed sea view. HAL says talk to my booking agent. They say "suck it up" or words to that effect.

Has anyone had a cabin in this location?

Any advice gratefully received.:)

That is the risk of booking a guarantee. However, I think you'll be fine. I was in a similar location on the Amsterdam and I didn't hear a thing from the doors. I was a little concerned about being next to the doors. The "partial" sea view is probably just a pillar that you can easily look around.

They do tend to wash the LP deck fairly early in the morning and spray gets on the window.

The one thing we had an issue with was that, one morning, I found our completed room service breakfast tag still hanging on the door. We had ordered room service other times and it was picked up but, that once, it was not. Fortunately we still had time to get breakfast in the Lido. If you're in the unusual location of being right by the Cruise Director's office, you might want to make sure you order your breakfast a little earlier than you normally would, if you have an early tour or go to the Lido those days.

We had the same location on the Volendam and it was actually great. We had opted not to get a balcony for the Alaska cruise. There was no noise from the exit door and we were so close to the deck with chairs I felt like I had my own balcony without the cost.

What is above your new cabin? That may have more bearing.

Never had an EE but have been outside on the LP on R class ships and we found the cabin was smaller and had a love seat instead of a sofa. Maybe someone who has had your cabin type will chime in.

Thanks for all these positive responses, I am actually feeling a lot happier about the cabin now.

Like the idea of my own private balcony, dateacher! And hope you get your penthouse.

I'm not sure we will have too many people passing by during the early days of the cruise as we sail across Bay of Biscay.

:D--thats my dream for my jan 4th on the NA -- but if not, i invested in a retreat cabana , the only way to go:D

Sorry Maxie, but I will be the lucky one on this cruise. No doubt I will be upgraded from my H obstructed to the Penthouse.:D

Well, Arzz, maybe the trickle down effect is starting and I will hear today. Yesterday, when I spoke to HAL they said the cruise was sold out except for assigning the GTYs. If you don't mind sharing, what was your original GTY for and what did you get? Also was it the upsell fairy or just the upgrade fairy?

Well, Arzz, maybe the trickle down effect is starting and I will hear today. Yesterday, when I spoke to HAL they said the cruise was sold out except for assigning the GTYs. If you don't mind sharing, what was your original GTY for and what did you get? Also was it the upsell fairy or just the upgrade fairy?

Hope you get something you like.

Booked an FF guarantee, was assigned a category D originally and yesterday when I checked my itinerary on line I found us in a category B -- we did not pay for an upsell - seems too good to be true but the luggage tags printed out. :D

Edited by arzz

We have been absolutely over the moon with the upgrade fairy recently.

We went on Volendam for a 22 night cruise in November - Melbourne to Singapore. We had booked a C grade guarantee. I am not completely sure why. We usually book an FF guarantee to hopefully get us to main deck. However, when we were booking this cruise onboard we were doing just that and then my DH suddenly said to the person on the desk how much would a C grade be. It was about three or four hundred more and much to my surprise he said right we will have that. The reason for this was he thought it wouild be better for me and keep me central on the ship but reasonably near to activities as I am on sticks these days. I was surprised and he never thought but left the guarantee in place.

Three weeks before we left we were assigned a C grade cabin (which we expected) two days later we were offered an upsell to a veranda which was actually very expensive, the day before we left we had a second upsell offer which was cheaper but still out of our agreed range of what we would accept. When we reached Sydney I logged in on the computer and discovered a email from HAL saying they had given us a complimentary upgrade to a verandah.

We were so pleased as this was unofficially an important cruise. We had intended to do something big in two years to celebrate our golden wedding but had realised from doctor's remarks that in two years I probably will not be able to do a big long haul trip so we decided to do it early. Of course HAL did not know that but it was marvellous for us.

Booked an FF guarantee, was assigned a category D originally and yesterday when I checked my itinerary on line I found us in a category B -- we did not pay for an upsell - seems too good to be true but the luggage tags printed out. :D

Congratulations on the upgrade.

Have a great cruise.

Nice! Have a great cruise.

I hope you'll hear today. You've been waiting awhile.

Perhaps the Upgrade Fairy read your blog after the first assignment and decided to revisit. Unfortunately the penthouse and neptunes were sold out so she did the best she could.:D

Are you planning to blog?