Forward Interior w Picture Window - Puke Fest or Hidden Gem?

Having only cruised Carnival once on a GTY Interior and ending up on Deck 2 a the front of the ship and hating the cabin, I lost the first 24 hours because of the motion sickness (best cruise ever other than that) because of the noise and side to side motion - I am wondering if 4J forward facing interior picture window cabins are a huge mistake or a hidden gem?

I really don't want another puke fest.

7102 and 7101 Interior w Picture Window all the way Forward are open on the Sunshine and I have a couple concerns since they are at the very front of the ship.

Is the motion just as bad up there and anchor noise etc?

Does anyone have pics of these cabins, I have done a search and cannot find anything. I am wondering if the beds are in front of the windows or turned sideways.

Thanks in advance to all the Carnival expert cruisers!

We are used to mid ship, mid deck cabins and have booked a 4j cabin like yours but on deck 10 on the Vista! We have decided its worth the risk for the views and the great location to Lido as well as a cheap window.

If you want to check out the rooms go to cruiselinerooms dot com then sunshine then the type of rooms you want. If they do not have any for the sunshine then check ships like the Breeze/Dream/Magic for these types of cabin as thats where I went for photos for mine.

They vary but look great!

We had 1003 on Valor (Deck 10) and loved it. Just outside our door was a HUGE deck area that no one used and it even had lounge chairs. It was like having a 1000 sq ft patio

I attached a pic of the view from the deck

081.jpg.cab5eb6dfa864d3122a8a4f7d8c675a3.jpg

Edited by topspin1267

From what I have seen on other threads, hidden gems. At least I don't recall anyone complaining of the motion or anything...

These two threads had pictures and comments about the rooms, I think they were the side rooms though, the 4 rooms in the middle are more standard sized but these looked really cool I thought. Might give you a bit of an idea anyway... I am considering for a cruise we are taking in 2017! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2176630

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017369

From what I have seen on other threads, hidden gems. At least I don't recall anyone complaining of the motion or anything...

These two threads had pictures and comments about the rooms, I think they were the side rooms though, the 4 rooms in the middle are more standard sized but these looked really cool I thought. Might give you a bit of an idea anyway... I am considering for a cruise we are taking in 2017! ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2176630

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017369

The cabins in the links you posted are not 4js. They are 6ks. Not even close. Those are premium grand scenic Oceanview cabins. 4js are considered inside cabins. They do have a window that looks out to the forward observation decks.

The Sunshine has both cabin types. The 4js are on decks 3, 6, and 7. The 6ks are on deck 9 and are considerably more expensive than a 4j.

We have our upcoming cruise booked in one of these. I like interior because we are only in the room to sleep, and it's nice having it so dark. But hubby doesn't like the kids beds being above our bed. These have the couches and bunk beds off to the side, and normal interiors don't. I've seen some good reviews.

As for the forward rooms, I keep hearing they are the worst for sea sickness, but we had the most forward room possible the last cruise and my sea sickness prone husband had no issues. We didn't have too rough of seas that cruise, but he still didn't have a problem. I know others do though, I hear middle is best.

When we had an offer of an upsell for $30 to this type of cabin from a standard inside, we took it. The cabin was somewhat larger because of the odd shape and the sloping walls as we were on the corner. The door to the outside walkway around the front of the ship was 3 steps from my door.

It's like a private balcony just outside your door. Great in port and during sail away, but next to worthless underway unless the wind conditions are perfect--from astern. Any other wind direction, when added to the 20 mph speed of the ship makes the wind bothersome. If you're heading directly into the wind, you might not even be able to open the outside door.

We have the Breeze booked for a November 2016 b2b and we were able to grab one of these 4J cabins, 10205. I've never gotten seasick, knock wood, so I'm not too worried for a Caribbean cruise after hurricane season.

Absolutely a gem ! And a Carnival "secret". I had one of these cabins a few years ago on the Splendor sailing out of New York. Perfectly steps away from the forward deck so it was optimal real estate for viewing a NYC sail away. The location itself is so hidden very few people actually think to go all the way forward. Those of us in this section kind of had our own little club. In typical Carnival fashion, the cabin was roomy and comfortable. Also being all the way forward meant there was much less corridor foot traffic. Sailing in & out of New York, one can experience rough seas and at this location the motion was comfortably noticeable. I enjoy the movement and sounds of the ship and is all a wonderful part of the "nautical" experience.

Hidden Gem! We had cabin 11204 on the Breeze (which is a 6S - it's on the Spa deck) and have booked a 4J on the Magic on deck 10. In the future, I will try to book these types of cabins almost always. Having the extra space is amazing and it's nice to be able to move around. The access to the front semi-private walkway is awesome and I like being a few steps away from the pool/lido area.

On the Breeze, we were the last stop in a cabin crawl and we fit nearly 40 people in our cabin. I'm pretty sure they are bigger than the suites!

In reference to the motion.... I know they say the front of the ship is prone to feeling the movement more, but we didn't notice it any more than the more centrally located interior/balcony cabins we had on other sailings. I am more sensitive than my husband and I was fine.

For dh and I, 10206 on the Dream was a hidden gem. Neither one of us is prone to motion sickness. The only time we felt a lot of movement was in the gulf when we encountered rough waters. It was noisy when the ship hit the wave and we could feel it shudder. After that it was smooth sailing, barely felt any movement at all and slept great. I would definitely book this room again, but like I said, neither one of us is bothered by sea sickness.

I generally am not one to get sea sick, even not having problems on cruises where they "deploy" barf bags all over the ship to handle impromptu vomiting passengers. But there was one cruise where we were almost as forward as possible and the weather was HORRIBLE and I did get sick. It was absolutely crazy. Because there is always the possibility of super rough seas, we don't do guarantees or pick cabins that are extremely far forward.

My experience is ~190 days at sea, 116 on Carnival thus far.

While its true that midship cabins feel less motion, the extent to which this is true has been exaggerated in the past, IMO. We have had forward-facing cabins and not had an issue. If the seas are rough enough to cause motion sickness, you will still feel it midship, even if less so than being forward. Its not like those in the middle are experiencing calm seas while the forward folks are being tossed around.

• 1 month later...

We have booked one for next year September 2016 on the Carnival Breeze which is due to move to Galveston, looking forward to the change we have always had a balcony but use it little i like to have that separate space without thousands of people but we really used it to dry clothes. so we have 10206 booked!:D

If you're prone to seasickness know that forward is very difficult.

I would totally agree with this statement. The only place I ever got sick on one of my cruises is when I was in the front of the ship.

We were in 7106 which is just reverse of 7101. Be advised that 7101 and 7106 are handicap cabins and the beds can not be put together. Since I had a scooter, it was perfect for us. The movement was no more there than anywhere on the ship for us. We did have one night of extreme movement both side to side and forward to aft but that was all over the ship. LOVED the location. The room felt smaller than the Freedom mid-ship handicap cabin we've been in. Personally, unless you need the handicap cabin I would choose 7102 for a couple of reasons. The beds can be put together and you are one cabin away from the exterior doors which people have a habit of letting slam. the beds in 7101 and 7106 are both on outside walls.