RCI Embarking Process at Port Canaveral

docd

Hello Cruise Critics,

I am scheduled to sail on the Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral shortly and I was trying to gather some information regarding the embarkation process.

Basically, I am trying to decide when to go to the port. My last cruise, on Disney, we went fairly early but just ended up sitting around for a long time because we weren't scheduled to board until much later.

My understanding is that entry into the RCI port building isn't until at least 10:30AM. After which, who gets to board? I am sure it's not first come first serve for the most part. I know RCI has six levels in their Crown & Anchor membership, so I assume all those people board before the non-members like myself? Although, I just now recalled someone talking about separate lines for the VIPs and the rest of us.....

Anyway, just trying to decide if I should hire a private sedan and arrive early or take a shuttle service which will arrive in the afternoon. I figure, if I am going to be sitting around the port waiting to board, I may as well save the $ and take a shuttle (sedan is $120 each way, the shuttle is $150 round trip).

Thanks!

Edited by docd

I breezed through the line last week on Enchantment at about 11:15 and then walked right on the ship. There were 4 people in front of me? I'm a lowly gold (only one tier above newbie) and the division between me and the newbies was that they were alternating the lines. ;)

It took about 20 minutes from curb to ship and most of that was walking.

Thanks. Sounds like there are two lines then and that your mileage may vary =)

I did consider renting a car. It would be cheaper than the private sedan, but not necessarily cheaper than the shuttle. Travel to the port is my last item to book and I am still debating what I should do, including renting a vehicle. I don't travel by air much and have never rented a car before. The drive looks easy though.

Thanks. Sounds like there are two lines then and that your mileage may vary =)

I did consider renting a car. It would be cheaper than the private sedan, but not necessarily cheaper than the shuttle. Travel to the port is my last item to book and I am still debating what I should do, including renting a vehicle. I don't travel by air much and have never rented a car before. The drive looks easy though.

Drive is very easy. You do need to take tolls into account if you rent a car. I would be very surprised if the car rental is $75 each way though, sounds very high. Shop around and look for some coupon codes.

I have never had a problem with long waits or boarding issues when I have arrived at the port between 11 am and 12pm. If you get their too early you get caught up in the congestion of debarking passengers and of course sitting in an uncomfortable chair for what seems like forever. Handicap, Suites, Diamonds and above have priority boarding.

...Anyway, just trying to decide if I should hire a private sedan and arrive early or take a shuttle service which will arrive in the afternoon. I figure, if I am going to be sitting around the port waiting to board, I may as well save the $ and take a shuttle (sedan is $120 each way, the shuttle is $150 round trip).

Thanks!

Check out Travelynx or Cocoa Beach Shuttle. We've used them before and were able to get to the ship before noon.

I have been to the this port 3x and headed back next week.

Never waited more than 30 mins from check in to on the boat. Usually it was about 15 mins give or take. I have been there around the 11am time usually.

Maybe its the time of week or the time of day or the cruise I take, but never had to sit around and wait.

Great information and suggestions! Thanks.

There are only 3 of us.

So, we will aim for 11AM-12PM and probably just take a shuttle.

My hotel books AAA "something or other" shuttles for $50 return pp. I did look at both Travelynx and CBS, which I believe were a bit more money, but I trust what people say on here and will choose one of those two.

Can someone please recommend a hotel at or near to Port Canaveral for a 1 night stay before joining Freedom?

Listed in order of proximity to the port: Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn, Radisson.

Can someone please recommend a hotel at or near to Port Canaveral for a 1 night stay before joining Freedom?

Depending on the number of people and your sleeping needs, there is the Radisson at the Port, Country Inn and Suites, Hampton Inn, Hilton Cocoa Beach, Best Western, Ron Jon's, Courtyard...

I need a hotel that has 2 beds as well as a sofa bed (I travel with my mom as well as my 2 sons, one of whom is almost 17) so we have a smaller choice of hotels that can meet our needs, but for 2 adults only, or parents and kids, any of these are good choices.

Maybe take a look at the Florida Departures board and check out the threads for Port Canaveral and you'll see lots of recommendations.

...I need a hotel that has 2 beds as well as a sofa bed (I travel with my mom as well as my 2 sons, one of whom is almost 17) so we have a smaller choice of hotels that can meet our needs, but for 2 adults only, or parents and kids, any of these are good choices....

I'd look at the 2 bedroom suites at the Residence Inn. Those would be perfect if the sofa was a sofa bed, which I'm not sure of.

A lot of people here recommend the three closest to the port but dont be afraid to check out Cocoa Beach hotels. A lot of them offer a cruise package. Only about 5 minutes south of the port and generally a better deal.

I stay at Laquinta Inn on North Atlantic Drive. I reserved a cruise package back in August for my cruise coming next April for just a little over 100.00. I like the hotel and the staff. Its older but very nicely redone and there is a wonderful Asian restaurant on the grounds.

I breezed through the line last week on Enchantment at about 11:15 and then walked right on the ship. There were 4 people in front of me? I'm a lowly gold (only one tier above newbie) and the division between me and the newbies was that they were alternating the lines. ;)

It took about 20 minutes from curb to ship and most of that was walking.

Exactly our experience this past June. We got there approx. 10:00AM, (we took a taxi from hotel) actually we ended up being first in line! LOL. We are gold also. It was a very easy process. We were on the ship by 11:00!:)

I'd look at the 2 bedroom suites at the Residence Inn. Those would be perfect if the sofa was a sofa bed, which I'm not sure of.

Hi Bob. We usually book the Hampton Inn further down on Atlantic, as they have two queens and a sofa bed.

We've stayed at the Country Inn and Suites, but we just didn't like it as much. Seemed a bit dated to us. Hampton is doing a bunch of upgrading so that's where we stayed this past August.

Residence Inn has a 1 bdrm suite with 2 queens in the room and a sofa bed in the living room. So that would work as well, but I think their price has always been higher so we've gone elsewhere. But I'll definitely consider them for next year (if air comes down and we can book our end of summer Freedom cruise).

Just back from cruising on Freedom (Oct 19th) and our time in line to board was easily an hour. Everyone in line was saying this was an unusually long wait. When we finally got up to the desk to get our sea passes we each had to fill out a health form asking about fever and recent travel. This was our first cruise so we assumed this form was new and was slowing everything down.

Just back from cruising on Freedom (Oct 19th) and our time in line to board was easily an hour. Everyone in line was saying this was an unusually long wait. When we finally got up to the desk to get our sea passes we each had to fill out a health form asking about fever and recent travel. This was our first cruise so we assumed this form was new and was slowing everything down.

The health form has been used for several years now. The only recent change is that there is an additional question concerning travel to Africa.

Edited by clarea

You always have to fill out a health form but it may now be longer or more detailed since the Ebola hysterics. The Country Inn and Suites has 2 beds and a sofa bed, plus breakfast and a shuttle (4 are free and I think it's like $5 each way for the other). As for the wait, keep in mind that if you get there at 10:30 you can't go to the cabin until 1 pm. If you have carry-on luggage, you have to drag it around with you until the cabin is ready. We're Diamond and while we have a separate waiting area, if we arrived at 10:30, we would be waiting too. We go early but we've never headed out until around 11:30.

In June we stayed and the Country Inn and Suites (great with kids... one queen (maybe king) bed, a set of bunk beds and a twin bed the night before.

On embarkation day we returned our rental car (Budget) and took their shuttle to the pier. Got off the shuttle bus just before 11 and were in the WJ eating by 11:30.