Fitbit on Cruise??

grovehill

Has anyone used their Fitbit on a cruise? Just got mine. Am thinking that you would need Internet / WiFi to use it with updates.

Just curious if anyone has experience with this?

LOVE....love...LOVE my fitbit!!!!!!

If you are talking about a flex.

It will register your steps on your phone app but you can't sync food or anything to it without wifi. IF you can find a free wifi signal in port you can update it then.

Edited by vacation_junkie

LOVE....love...LOVE my fitbit!!!!!!

If you are talking about a flex.

It will register your steps on your phone app but you can't sync food or anything to it without wifi. IF you can find a free wifi signal in port you can update it then.

Yes, I have a Flex. So far i'm very impressed. Gonna take it with me and see if we can update in ports. Really curious to see just how many steps on a typical day going from one end of Explorer to the other.

Yes, I have a Flex. So far i'm very impressed. Gonna take it with me and see if we can update in ports. Really curious to see just how many steps on a typical day going from one end of Explorer to the other.

I do however "forget" to put my daily calories in during my cruise ;)

I have the FitBit One also and love seeing how many steps and stairs I do on a cruise. I sync it to my iPad Mini or iPod Touch using Bluetooth during the cruise and bring the charging cable with me, along with a USB charger to keep it charged. I keep it on me all the time while on the ship but of course I leave it in the cabin when we're on excursions, which always involve water.

It does not need to sync all the time. It will store the information until it has synced.

I have one, and use USB dongle on my computer to sync it.

I was away for a long weekend before, and it synced and uploaded all the data when we arrived home.

So no worries.

We brought our Fitbit Ones on our last cruise. We didn't worry about logging food (fear perhaps?? denial? ignorance is bliss?) but we were curious to see how active we really were since we walk a lot on and off the ship and take stairs whenever possible.

On our last cruise we hiked up Mount Roberts in Juneau. I think we logged 150 something sets of stairs that day (I guess Fitbit doesn't recognize hiking up mountains). That was awesome. I forget how many miles we did altogether, but it proved that we do keep pretty active.

We just waited till we got home to sync it up.

Wear a pedometer while on the ship and you can get a count of how many steps and how many miles you walk. My DH and I loved to wear them on ships and when we took our daily exercise walks.

I wear a Jawbone UP - which is the same premise.

If you use My Fitness Pal to log your food, you can store it locally. It won't help you if you're trying to look up foods, but at the end of the cruise when you sync you'll know how many extra calories you took in ;)

If you really wanted to have a good idea of what you're consuming, I suppose you could pre-load a bunch of food into the app. Or carry one of those old paperback calorie count books! :p

I wore my Flex on my last Independence of the Seas cruise and, like many others, I did not log my calories, I was able to see my steps. I usually run a couple mornings on the track and like to compare the stated mileage to what my fitbit states.

We usually buy a Wi-Fi package anyway, so the syncing and charging was not an issue for us as we bring our laptop to stay in touch and write our notes and reviews!

Probably a dumb question but doesn't the UP need wifi? My new one syncs all the time with my phone.

I have the regular UP - not the UP 24 - which must be the model you have. The regular UP syncs when you plug the wrist band into the microphone jack of your phone.