what to do in Grand Turk?

eyewannacruz4eva

We will be in Grand Turk on June 14th, arriving at 8am and departing at 2:30pm. We're not early birds when on vacation and since this seems like such a short time to be there, wondering if we should do anything at all. Maybe just go to Maragritaville and hang out for a couple hours....thoughts?

We will be in Grand Turk on June 14th, arriving at 8am and departing at 2:30pm. We're not early birds when on vacation and since this seems like such a short time to be there, wondering if we should do anything at all. Maybe just go to Maragritaville and hang out for a couple hours....thoughts?

2 things here, beach and/or great snorkeling. Last time there my wife and I went snorkeling off the 'wall'. It drops off to 7000' deep. Lots of fish swimming along the wall. Very clear and calm waters. We loved it. Have fun!

I love Grand Turk. You walk off the ship (and dock) and the beach is right there with free chairs. Then you can walk over to Margaritville and use their pool for free. Then if you want you can walk to the conch cemetery which is on the other side of the dock all the way down. Not too many people walk there and it is quiet and peaceful. To me this is a "free" island since there is plenty to do without having to fork over money (unless you want to eat and drink).

It is such a beautiful island! We have been twice and it is by far one of our favorite places to visit. It is a very small, laid back island. The first time we took a cab to the "downtown" area and went through a small museum they had and then went to "The Sandbar" restaurant. It is a covered deck that has about 6 tables and is right on the beach. We hung out there for several hours. We had lunch and drinks and in between we would go out to the beach and hang out at the waters edge.

The last time we were there we reserved a golf cart and toured the island on our own. We went to the light house and enjoyed the views there and then ended up back at the Sandbar for lunch and drinks again. It is so relaxing to sit on their deck and just enjoy the breathtaking views and listen to the waves.

It is such a beautiful island! We have been twice and it is by far one of our favorite places to visit. It is a very small, laid back island. The first time we took a cab to the "downtown" area and went through a small museum they had and then went to "The Sandbar" restaurant. It is a covered deck that has about 6 tables and is right on the beach. We hung out there for several hours. We had lunch and drinks and in between we would go out to the beach and hang out at the waters edge.

The last time we were there we reserved a golf cart and toured the island on our own. We went to the light house and enjoyed the views there and then ended up back at the Sandbar for lunch and drinks again. It is so relaxing to sit on their deck and just enjoy the breathtaking views and listen to the waves.

OMG!!!! this sounds great I'm gonna check into the golf cart rental! where did you rent the golf cart?

Edited by eyewannacruz4eva

We always head down the beach a short distance and eat and have a few drinks at "Jack's Shack" Awesome fried conch and jerked chicken. Very relaxing place to hang out and enjoy the beach. Look for a blue sign.

We aren't early birds either so just wasting away in Margaritaville for a bit works for us .. especially when departing in the early afternoon.;)

I love grand turk. One of the jewelry shops (could be diamonds international) have windows that look out to the blue water. They are like framed pictures. 2. The drop off into the deep ( why ship parks so far out) 3- wild donkeys. 4- the space capsule display 5- jack shack. ( the dog is famous on youtube and some bring him dog toys) 6-margaritaville when it is rocking. Someone suggested bringing books for the recently burned out library.

OMG!!!! this sounds great I'm gonna check into the golf cart rental! where did you rent the golf cart?

We rented from Wet Money. You can email them at wetmoneyenterprise at gmail.com

The carts are $100 for the day. You reserve it by email and then just pay when you show up.

I just returned from Grand Turk about one month ago and loved it! I'm new to CC and just happened to see a post saying don't take the excursion to a beach, just walk off the ship to the beach, which is just what we did! It was beautiful, not crowded,there wee umbrellas and chairs to rent and if it's your thing, Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville is right there. But pass by that, and on down the beach is a little, locally-owned bar and restaurant that is AWESOME! They have their beach dog, who digs like crazy in the sand is and soooo entertaining! Great local beer! But don't eat there (even though friends said it was very good) because as I was walking down there, I passed a sandwich sign on the beach offering jerked pork, so I opted for that and was I ever glad I did! Freshly cooked as I waited and it was absolutely to die for! Best day EVER!:cool:

I just returned from Grand Turk about one month ago and loved it! I'm new to CC and just happened to see a post saying don't take the excursion to a beach, just walk off the ship to the beach, which is just what we did! It was beautiful, not crowded,there wee umbrellas and chairs to rent and if it's your thing, Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville is right there. But pass by that, and on down the beach is a little, locally-owned bar and restaurant that is AWESOME! They have their beach dog, who digs like crazy in the sand is and soooo entertaining! Great local beer! But don't eat there (even though friends said it was very good) because as I was walking down there, I passed a sandwich sign on the beach offering jerked pork, so I opted for that and was I ever glad I did! Freshly cooked as I waited and it was absolutely to die for! Best day EVER!:cool:

That would be Jack's Shack and the little white dog is Topher. :D

Thanks for the tip about the golf cart! I was looking for something to do here.

Im assuming you all didn't have any issues getting around in it.

Tip #1: Drive on the left hand side of the road.

Tip #2: Take a flare gun in case you are not paying attention and you fall into one of the pot holes in the middle of the road. Kidding....kinda.

Thanks for the tip about the golf cart! I was looking for something to do here.

Im assuming you all didn't have any issues getting around in it.

We had no issues at all getting around. We actually had 2 golf carts because there were 7 of us. We had a great time!!

Been to Grand Turk twice - the best one was spent at the beach snorkeling. From the cruise pier, hang a left. Stop at the equipment shack and get snorkel gear. Walk up the beach until you get to Jack's Shack. If I remember, you can get two chairs and an umbrella for $10. There's a pier just beyond Jack's Shack -- that's where the fish hang out. It's not the greatest snorkeling, but the water is crystal clear and a lot of fish hang out under the pier. Since you are not on an excursion, you can spend as much time as you want.

We had no issues at all getting around. We actually had 2 golf carts because there were 7 of us. We had a great time!!

We have a golf cart rented for our upcoming stop in GT. Is it safe to just leave the carts parked while you go into stores, shops, etc? I'm worried ours will get stolen.

We have a golf cart rented for our upcoming stop in GT. Is it safe to just leave the carts parked while you go into stores, shops, etc? I'm worried ours will get stolen.

It's very safe, just take the key out. Grand Turk is a small island, something liker 7 miles by 2 miles. Not like the US where someone can take your stuff and run to another state. If someone were to steal your cart there, they'd be easily caught. GT is a great island.

Yes! We stopped several places. We just took the key with us. No problems at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, there are less than 4000 residents, and crime is VERY low.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
2 things here, beach and/or great snorkeling. Last time there my wife and I went snorkeling off the 'wall'. It drops off to 7000' deep. Lots of fish swimming along the wall. Very clear and calm waters. We loved it. Have fun!

Sonicbuffalo - what company did you use for the snorkel excursion?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums