P2 Guarantee to Q6 Upgrade

RemPuck

Similar to what reilly1 experienced (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2111480), we received an offer a few days ago to buy an upgrade from our P2 Guarantee on the 15 December QM2 westbound crossing into a Q6. There was a cost ($400/pp) but we decided to go for it. Our original P2 was a very good price and even with the extra cost, the Q6 would cost us less than the P2 at the going rates.

After 24 hours, our TA confirmed to us that we’d actually been upgraded to a Q5 (11128). While there’s no real difference in cabin, it’s still a very nice treat to get the extra category upgrade. Looking at the deck plans, we see that we’re very near the Grills Terrace on deck 11 aft; we really enjoy a cold winter’s night soak in a hot tub and are happy to see how convenient this will be.

For those interested, we’re essentially Cunard newbies. We did sail on QM2 in 2006 (a New Year’s Caribbean trip) but our current booking does not reflect the prior sailing (I wouldn’t even know how to find an old WC #). We booked this trip in April, so somewhat early, but nothing like a year-plus in advance. The upgrade offer came on the last day of the “Fall Balcony” promotion which was also 60 days pre sailing. My guess is that Cunard sees us as potential regulars who they want to “spoil” in Grills comfort. Little do they know that it may be another 8 years before I get my husband on another ship!

My question now: How does one use a butler? Seriously – I have no clue what to ask of him/her. Any guidance is appreciated.

Edited by RemPuck

Similar to what reilly1 experienced (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2111480), we received an offer a few days ago to buy an upgrade from our P2 Guarantee on the 15 December QM2 westbound crossing into a Q6. There was a cost ($400/pp) but we decided to go for it. Our original P2 was a very good price and even with the extra cost, the Q6 would cost us less than the P2 at the going rates.

After 24 hours, our TA confirmed to us that we’d actually been upgraded to a Q5 (11128). While there’s no real difference in cabin, it’s still a very nice treat to get the extra category upgrade. Looking at the deck plans, we see that we’re very near the Grills Terrace on deck 11 aft; we really enjoy a cold winter’s night soak in a hot tub and are happy to see how convenient this will be.

For those interested, we’re essentially Cunard newbies. We did sail on QM2 in 2006 (a New Year’s Caribbean trip) but our current booking does not reflect the prior sailing (I wouldn’t even know how to find an old WC #). We booked this trip in April, so somewhat early, but nothing like a year-plus in advance. The upgrade offer came on the last day of the “Fall Balcony” promotion which was also 60 days pre sailing. My guess is that Cunard sees us as potential regulars who they want to “spoil” in Grills comfort. Little do they know that it may be another 8 years before I get my husband on another ship!

My question now: How does one use a butler? Seriously – I have no clue what to ask of him/her. Any guidance is appreciated.

It's a great location. You merely step outside right on to the Grills Terrace. Only caution I'd say, is sometimes the wind really blows when you open the door & it can slam pretty quickly.

Happyboating - thanks for the link. Any clues on what type of sweet dream gifts we may expect?;)

Keith - thanks for the warning about the slamming door. Will we hear it in our suite? Also, there's a blank space on the deck plan at the far aft of the corridor before the door to the terrace. Do you know what's there, such as service areas, etc?

Your butler is there to facilitate all things to do with your suite. There is a button on your phone which patches you through to the butler. When on duty, [and it's not 24/7 but it is most of the day and early/mid evening] they carry a pager/phone and if not engaged in helping another passenger, it will be answered straight away. If not, he/she will phone back as soon as possible and enquire of your needs. If you require room service, they will sort it. Any housekeeping/laundry issue? They will sort it etc. Anything to do with your suite comes under his/her auspices. If he/she can't sort it, they will know of someone who can and it will be done as soon as possible. If you order room service, they will take the order and serve it.

If you decide to have fellow passengers in for drinks, tell the butler and he/she will provide wonderful nibbles from the Grill's kitchen but be aware this has to be discussed and ordered in advance. They will serve the drinks too if given notice but as we are quite capable of pouring our own drinks, we've not used this service.

When you embark, the butler will come and introduce him/herself and bring you a slip to fill in as to your required two bottles of liquor, wine, spirits or liquor. They list is quite small but if your choice of Vodka or whisky etc isn't on the list, as long as it's not wildly expensive, there should be no problem in providing it. Not sure? Then ask. The worst they can say is no or tell you there's a small charge. Wines are 'drinkable'. The bottles will be replaced as and when drained. Phone for another bottle as and when required if you have friends in and you need a replacement there and then. No problem. The butler is there for you most of the day and early evening. The fridge will have mixers and beers. Any personal preference? Ask the butler and they will be provided if on the ship.

You will also have a bottle of Delamotte champagne and a bottle of Pol Acker. Two large bottles of still water will be provided and again, replaced as and when consumed.

The butler will, I have heard, un pack/pack your case for you but we have never asked for that service.

Anything to do with the general ship's services can usually be dealt with by the Grill's concierge.

The butler and under butler are there to make your life as easy as possible. They do a grand job.

Enjoy.

Edited by Victoria2
Added champagne and 'the Pol'l

Thank you for this. We just got upgraded from Penthouse to Queen Elizabeth! Excited is correct.

I had also wondered what was I going to do with a Butler, but I now have an excellent idea. We'll keep him/her a little busy as we are really low maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As Victoria2 has said, enjoy every minute of it. The butler is wonderful, you don't have to get up and answer the door for tea in the morning. He/she will let themselves in. The Grills lounge on Qqv/ QE are lovely. We can't wait to be back on Victoria in December :)

If you have any memento or documentation from the previous Cunard trip they might be able to provide you with the CWC credit for that cruise. Not so much on your second trip but beginning with the third cruise the Internet perk could be useful even to a Grills passenger.

Victoria2 -- thank you so much for the details on how best to take advantage of the butler. This is quite helpful. You mention that the wines available in the room are "drinkable" -- would you happen to know what is on offer? Also, how much notice is required to arrange in-room nibbles for a small group?

Underwatr -- thanks for the suggestion about trying to get credit for our prior trip. I know we have a portrait from a formal night along with 2 Cunard bears (a goofy collection of ours!); I may also have some old documentation somewhere too.

Victoria2 -- thank you so much for the details on how best to take advantage of the butler. This is quite helpful. You mention that the wines available in the room are "drinkable" -- would you happen to know what is on offer? Also, how much notice is required to arrange in-room nibbles for a small group?

Underwatr -- thanks for the suggestion about trying to get credit for our prior trip. I know we have a portrait from a formal night along with 2 Cunard bears (a goofy collection of ours!); I may also have some old documentation somewhere too.

Wine choice. Red or white. No sophistication here.

We were a little more specific and asked for Pinot Grigio or a Merlot. We got Pinot Grigio but gave up on the Red. Neither were brilliant but they were drinkable.

I would give 24hrs if possible, especially if you want Butler service or a dinner party, but breakfast will be fine for a small drinks do.

Ask for jugs of freshly squeezed orange juice, it's gorgeous.

Hi RemPuck,

We also upgraded last week (from booked Q5) for this December crossing. Was offered Q2 or Q3, and for a bit more $$, Q1. Chose the Q3, as it looked pretty unique on the only video I could find. However, could find no discussion of the "Royal Suites" on this board.

We're also essentially Cunard newbies (actually did a crossing on QM1 when a kid, which doesn't count), but have experienced the Butler thing a few times, on Crystal, Silversea and Celebrity.

My take re it being a help or bother is that it completely depends on the actual butler you end up with. Had one on Crystal that was great - a Hugh Grant-ish type with a wry sense of humor who was extremely helpful with booking specialty restaurants, delivering our preferred evening nibbles, promptly restocking libations, and offering excellent advice about all the ship's activities and amenities.

Conversely, when somehow ending up in a humongous Penthouse Suite (close to 1,500 sq.ft. Stateroom + 1,100 sq. ft. Veranda) on Celebrity, the seemingly ever present butler was somewhat of a killjoy for us. Afraid we didn't exhibit sufficient gravitas towards "his" prize space, especially when he caught us ice skating around the grand piano in our socks. :D

Others were basically very attentive and polished cabin stewards, which we expect we'll find on this crossing. They're certainly a pleasure if one chooses to dine in-suite. Can't fathom using the unpacking/packing service - would probably spend the entire seven days looking for our stuff...

See you aboard!

Dan

Victoria - thanks for the orange juice suggestion...can't wait.

Dan - thanks for your butler stories (and the vision of you skating around the piano!). Your new suite sounds great and you'll have the same view as the Captain. I hope to meet you on board.

Howard

Hi RemPuck,

We also upgraded last week (from booked Q5) for this December crossing. Was offered Q2 or Q3, and for a bit more $$, Q1. Chose the Q3, as it looked pretty unique on the only video I could find. However, could find no discussion of the "Royal Suites" on this board.

We're also essentially Cunard newbies (actually did a crossing on QM1 when a kid, which doesn't count), but have experienced the Butler thing a few times, on Crystal, Silversea and Celebrity.

My take re it being a help or bother is that it completely depends on the actual butler you end up with. Had one on Crystal that was great - a Hugh Grant-ish type with a wry sense of humor who was extremely helpful with booking specialty restaurants, delivering our preferred evening nibbles, promptly restocking libations, and offering excellent advice about all the ship's activities and amenities.

Conversely, when somehow ending up in a humongous Penthouse Suite (close to 1,500 sq.ft. Stateroom + 1,100 sq. ft. Veranda) on Celebrity, the seemingly ever present butler was somewhat of a killjoy for us. Afraid we didn't exhibit sufficient gravitas towards "his" prize space, especially when he caught us ice skating around the grand piano in our socks. :D

Others were basically very attentive and polished cabin stewards, which we expect we'll find on this crossing. They're certainly a pleasure if one chooses to dine in-suite. Can't fathom using the unpacking/packing service - would probably spend the entire seven days looking for our stuff...

See you aboard!

Dan

We once had this suite, it has the best views on the ship, Good choice.

Hi RemPuck,

See you aboard!

Dan

We had an upgrade to Q2 on QV , the Britton Suite. Unbelievable! We could have moved in! The butler was incredibly discrete.

Victoria - thanks for the orange juice suggestion...can't wait.

Dan - thanks for your butler stories (and the vision of you skating around the piano!). Your new suite sounds great and you'll have the same view as the Captain. I hope to meet you on board.

Howard

Howard - Absolutely. I know your stateroom number from your OP, ours will be 10001 ("Queen Victoria Suite," not to be confused with the "Victoria2 Suite.");)

Add your name to the Roll Call board for this sailing - title is "QM2 Westbound TA December 15-22, 2014." About a half dozen people have registered. We can take our initial pre or post dinner cocktail planning there, and not bore (or awaken envy in) others on this "general" board.

Transatlantic Fan - I believe you also will be on this crossing. Perhaps we can all arrange a meet-up for our first evening or two at sea...

Dan

Dan

I've been lurking on the roll call and it seems really quiet. I've just "signed up" and will continue looking there for get together details.

Very excited and can't wait for the trip.

Howard