Look who's been in your cabin!

YB Nrml

One pic had the OP's child in a suite close to theirs, just to look at it and check it out. Another pic showed the OP in the original room they had booked for their kids before they upgraded them.

I'm very easy going, and yes as I walk to my cabin I will glance into open doors of other cabins but I've never, ever, gone into some random cabin to check it out. It's not my cabin, it belongs to someone else. I would also be mortified if I got caught doing so by the people who actually have booked that cabin. Then I think how I would feel if I were entering my cabin for the first time and some other random passenger was standing in there to check it out. CREEPY!

Could it have been an accident? When my Mom and I went on the Pride and went to our cabin for the 1st time on Embarkation day there was a couple in there. Their folio number was the same as our cabin number but they thought it was their cabin number (must have been 1st time cruisers). :eek: We looked at their cruise docs with them, found their actual cabin number and helped them find their cabin. No biggie!!!! :D They were very apologetic and grateful for the help.

honestly, at first, i was thinking "what's the big deal?". I mean if was just embarkation is it really anyone's cabin yet? They obviously don't even have their things in the cabin yet if the door is open for just anyone to walk in otherwise the door would have been closed.

But, on further thought. A lot of passengers have pre ordered things placed in their cabins by this time...documents from carnival..gifts from family members/friends.. Gifts from tas or from carnival. So, yeah you're right it is a bad idea to be walking into cabins that are not yours just to check things out.

thank you

I would never enter an occupied cabin unless invited but until the cabin is occupied I feel that its okay to take a look or a picture. Its the only way you will know if that cabin type is suitable for you.

I too had read the review and appreciated all the pictures that were posted.

I guess DH and I like to be surprised. If we want to try a different type of cabin we look at the deck plans, photos on CCL's website and also reviews here on CC and book it. If we like it great, if not we won't book that type of cabin again. After all we're on a cruise so no cabin is a bad one!

I agree! Now this makes me wonder about our missing excursion tickets! We had to call them and tell them and hey said that we'd already claimed them. (Different cruise line... They had placed our excursion tix on our table...and one set was missing.)

I don't think anyone should be going in there without permission and certainly shouldn't be letting little kids in there. Cabin crawl obviously is okay...otherwise..no. STay out!

Wow, that could be a real headache! Hopefully you got your replacement tickets without too much hassle.

I actually thought it was a good topic to discuss, one that I haven't seen time and time again on here. To me it doesn't really matter if it gets back to the OP, since the information was placed on the internet. We can discuss/debate the topic and maybe make someone realize that some people might have a problem with them doing such a thing.

Yeah, I was getting bored with the same old, same old on CC myself.

At least some people ask the stewards before they go into empty/open cabins. As hard as those guys/gals work I wouldn't want to interrupt them, they work their butt$ off.

I'd be very disappointed to find someone in my cabin taking pictures when I arrived. There's just no reasonable explanation for doing that. If you want to see inside best you Google it instead of risking a confrontation with the next guest.

My other thought is if I did go into a cabin, someone saw me and later something was missing from that cabin like Bon Voyage liquor, excursion tickets, etc. Wow, can you imagine the time out of your cruise explaining to security what you were doing in there, the hassles and stress involved? Don't need it! DH has a saying for situations like that, "A lot of things can happen and only 1 of them is good".

I like the reviews of the person who posted those pics of the empty cabin, and they seem like really fun family but I agree with the OP that it's definitely crossing a boundary.

I have friends and family who do stuff that I don't agree with all the time. It doesn't mean I no longer like them...just means I didn't agree with something they did. I don't think the OP meant to bash the reviewer so people really shouldn't be bashing the OP. :)

I like the reviews of the person who posted those pics of the empty cabin, and they seem like really fun family but I agree with the OP that it's definitely crossing a boundary.

I have friends and family who do stuff that I don't agree with all the time. It doesn't mean I no longer like them...just means I didn't agree with something they did. I don't think the OP meant to bash the reviewer so people really shouldn't be bashing the OP. :)

Same situation here. When DH and I first got married we each brought 2 kids into the mix. Well we were grocery shopping one day and his kids take off and BUILD A FORT OUT OF TOILET PAPER in the aisle of the store! I couldn't believe it!!! So I explained to DH that it's not a playground, they're in the way of other shoppers and some poor stocker is going to have to straighten it all up.

And hey folks, I have a pretty thick skin and I really am enjoying all the input and different opinions on the topic.

My mistake. Two different posters. One said it was "child exploitation at it's finest" which I think is a pretty grand world we live in if that is child exploitation's finest. Then replied to say that the room clearly had stuff in it. I mistakenly quoted the OP in my response.

I stand by the fact that there is nothing wrong with going into an unoccupied/empty/unused room to take a quick pic of the layout. If Carnival is placing $80 bottles of liquor and/or $100+ excursion tickets in a room with the door wide open and unattended then I would have an issue with Carnival. Once your stuff is in the room, close the door, put your valuables in the safe, and rest assured that no one is going to sneak/break into your room and force children to break any laws in there.

If I am in a Special Cabin and someone asks to see it, I may let them in for a quick look! It does depend on the person and how busy I am!

Now a Cabin Crawl is well worth the walk if your on a roll call or a group with several different cabins!:D Warning for those who book only inside cabins - you may not want to know what your missing!!:rolleyes::D

Personally, I would have a problem with a stranger looking around the cabin I bought for the cruise, whether my things are in there or not. To me, that is an invasion of my personal space. I also kinda have a problem with cabin crawls...we have never done one, and I'm not sure I like the idea of a bunch of people I just met coming into my personal space.

I guess it just seems like a very small insignificant thing to get worked up about. Someone taking a pic before you've even been to the room...

In all likelihood, just a couple hours before you get on the boat, someone is naked in that shower, or doing "things" in that bed. It isn't your property, your stake hasn't been claimed. It's the same to me as being upset that someone is taking pics of the boat before they get on it. You never know, it isn't harming you, they aren't touching any of your things, etc. Who cares if someone looks at a desk and bed?

Okay, so I did see the pics on this site at this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1112942&page=11

Although the rooms look occupied, Donna does mention that she took the pictures when she was debarking the ship.

My mistake. I guess assuming that the occupants have already debarked it would be okay to do this.

I guess it just seems like a very small insignificant thing to get worked up about. Someone taking a pic before you've even been to the room...

In all likelihood, just a couple hours before you get on the boat, someone is naked in that shower, or doing "things" in that bed. It isn't your property, your stake hasn't been claimed. It's the same to me as being upset that someone is taking pics of the boat before they get on it. You never know, it isn't harming you, they aren't touching any of your things, etc. Who cares if someone looks at a desk and bed?

Yes but the people who are showering or "thingying" ;) in the bed before I get there have paid for that cabin for that time. Your cabin is not a common area for everyone on the ship to walk through at their whim.

If the cabin is empty, what is the problem? I could see if the occupants had already been there and had their things in there.

Pretty much my thoughts too.

Now if someone went in there to use the bathroom, after it had been prepped for me, ... I wouldn't much care for that. :eek:

Happens more often than you think.

We were on the Sapphire Princess in March. Met a couple who had someone completely unpack in their cabin. What's interesting is that on Princess there is a card with your name and loyalty level on the mailbox. It was removed.

Love your stories...

We know this family is a wonderful..plan and explain..have it all down group that have had their growing up vacations on Carnival...

It is impossible not to know who OP mentioned if an avid reader.

I Love hotels, ships, cabins, homes, trailers, rv's tents..(LOOKING ONLY NOW AY TENTS). I often ask to see the room and see what i can see checking out..

I had a B and B stay where the owner said to look at all empty unlocked rooms....woops..one couple had not locked their door..a honeymoon rush..oh my Lord i will never stop being embarassed,.....

But it is travel..the getaway and normal to take a peak before or after occupied..asking folks..getting a sense of the chaos..and how early or late you are boarding..each situation has it's own ethic...

I can see where it is normal to walk by the room you changed..not touch..take a peak and see if open what your folks who know Carnival super well and have respect on all angles... were able to do for you...parents and kids had close to equal digs...sweet..

See both sides..this is a common sense and respect issue..easily misread.

I would be so sad if the lovers of each line stopped posting their pictures..

For a solo cruiser especially helpful..to find a less optimal room with light or other specialties at a lesser price..and to just dream for the suites..thank you all.:)

Hi OP!

Since you're asking...

It wouldn't bother me one bit if people wanted to check out a neighboring room... BEFORE any one put their stuff in it. The way I see it, the cabin, even if you paid for it, isn't yours until you step on the ship. If there's nothing to take and the person doesn't touch anything, then what could possibly be the problem? Are you afraid of the bad vibes they might leave? Maybe the person left Noro-virus in your room?

Now, in the case of this review (which I have been reading and enjoying, so I am probably a little biased), this young man entering "someone else's" room got a great pic, made us more knowledgeable about the different rooms, and didn't hurt anybody... so what's the big deal?

Hi OP!

Since you're asking...

It wouldn't bother me one bit if people wanted to check out a neighboring room... BEFORE any one put their stuff in it. The way I see it, the cabin, even if you paid for it, isn't yours until you step on the ship. If there's nothing to take and the person doesn't touch anything, then what could possibly be the problem? Are you afraid of the bad vibes they might leave? Maybe the person left Noro-virus in your room?

Um...vibes, no. Germs, possibly..

Now, in the case of this review (which I have been reading and enjoying, so I am probably a little biased), this young man entering "someone else's" room got a great pic, made us more knowledgeable about the different rooms, and didn't hurt anybody... so what's the big deal?

Nine cruises and I've never experienced this. While I've walked past an open door and perhaps glanced in without breaking stride, I've never walked into a room that wasnt mine without an invite.

If there are organized tours prior to embarkation, and given the quick turnaround time the staff has to prep the rooms, thats one thing. However, the last person that should be in a room prior to embarkation is a crew member to make sure all is ready.

Again, perhaps I'm not clear on the concept, but the practice seems at best tacky and at worst, creepy. To each their own, and preferably their own cabin.

How did the picture takers know that the other folks weren't FTTF as well? And that they may have gotten onboard earlier and dropped off their carryons before heading out? That's what I plan on doing on our cruise...even if the stews aren't done id still ask to drop my bags off. Just sayen

Doesn't bother me in the least. In fact it seems like a good way to check out cabins you may opt for on your next cruise.

OK, so I just went and looked at the post in question.

Those pics were taken at debarkation and the occupants were clearly gone(the new beach towels for the next family were already set up)

Who cares.

It was nice of the poster to take the photos to share with those of us on CC who are always asking about such things.

Edited by Lerin

Let me make this clear. From the minute embarkation starts until my last ding off the ship, my cabin belong to me and you have no right or reason to be in it.

If I find you in it, security will be called and it could wind up being an awkward cruise for you.

You have no duty, obligation, or right to "take pictures" of my cabin for cruise critic people or anyone else.

For those that are saying, I have never had anything stolen so I don't see a problem, I bet you would change your tune if anything ever did come up missing.

A year or so ago, my mother went on her first cruise without the family. She went with her old ladies group and we had something sent to her cabin. But she never got it. I wound up getting a refund even though they said it had been delivered. I thought, no big deal. Maybe the cabin guy forgot or maybe even delivered it to the wrong cabin. Now I wonder.

For the first time ever, I will be writing to the Carnival head office and John H and see if we can get some guide lines for the room attendents to follow because obviously, they have had no training in the matter. It is not ok for them to be giving premission to anyone to enter my room at anytime.

Because of the loyalty level of some passengers, they have immediate access to their rooms upon embarkation, which does allow access to seeing those neighboring cabins as well.

This is probably the one of the most pompous comments I have seen in a while, just because some one has sailed more than me they have earned the right to not only board first but have permission to access other surrounding cabins? Maybe it was just poorly worded, but it still doesn't help much because no matter if it the rooms owner first or fiftieth cruise, they are also VIP due to the nice suite they paid for...

Doesn't bother me in the least. In fact it seems like a good way to check out cabins you may opt for on your next cruise.

OK, so I just went and looked at the post in question.

Those pics were taken at debarkation and the occupants were clearly gone(the new beach towels for the next family were already set up)

Who cares.

It was nice of the poster to take the photos to share with those of us on CC who are always asking about such things.

The pictures I referred to were taken on embarkation not debarkation.