Look who's been in your cabin!

YB Nrml

This is probably the one of the most pompous comments I have seen in a while, just because some one has sailed more than me they have earned the right to not only board first but have permission to access other surrounding cabins? Maybe it was just poorly worded, but it still doesn't help much because no matter if it the rooms owner first or fiftieth cruise, they are also VIP due to the nice suite they paid for...

Exactly, even if you're not VIP what gives you the right to enter a room someone else has reserved and paid for?

Many moons ago in 1999 on my first cruise (Norwegian, the Norway ), we arrived at our room to find the door open and 3 or 4 adults standing in it. My face must have registered my displeasure or confusion, and I was standing there wondering if we somehow got the wrong room or were double booked. I was actually speechless for the moment, when one of them said that they were travel agents and were touring the "not yet occupied" rooms.

They left quickly, and I was a little miffed but, it was my first cruise and was just too excited to dwell on it.

If it happened again though, I might just have a little more fun "kicking them out" LOL.

I guess it just seems like a very small insignificant thing to get worked up about. Someone taking a pic before you've even been to the room...

In all likelihood, just a couple hours before you get on the boat, someone is naked in that shower, or doing "things" in that bed. It isn't your property, your stake hasn't been claimed. It's the same to me as being upset that someone is taking pics of the boat before they get on it. You never know, it isn't harming you, they aren't touching any of your things, etc. Who cares if someone looks at a desk and bed?

I totally agree with you.

Eh. Like I said, I have every intention of going to take a peek at the room I had before I upgraded. If someone were to call security because someone walked into an empty/unoccupied/possibly-unpurchased room for 2 seconds and took a pic then that would be fine with me.

If I walked to my room and someone had popped in to take a pic before I ever got there, or had wandered into the wrong room accidentally, I can't think of any reason to call the national guard or child services for possible child exploitation.

Had stuff been in the room, the door been closed, or the teen jumping on the bed, that would be a whole 'nother matter. But someone walking in and walking back out in 2 seconds?? Try to enjoy your vacation and don't sweat the small stuff.

I purposely did not want to identify the OP but evidently discretion isn't one of your concerns. I also never implied that anything was touched, taken, or broken. Just an observation of respect and boundaries.

YB Nrml,

I am the 'OP' and have no issue with being identified as such. If I did have an issue with it, that in and of itself would be cause for concern. ;)

When we arrived at our room our steward was still in our room finishing up. I asked if the rooms to the starboard side were finished and he stated they were working that direction and had just pulled the rooms and they were not clean yet. I asked if I could step in and get pictures of the open rooms and he said no problem. He then came out into the hallway and pointed out the open doors and stated that all cabins with the doors open were still being cleaned and were fine to look into.

This was NOT the first time that I have taken pictures of unoccupied cabins at embarkation. As others have stated there will frequently be TA tours between cruises and specific cabins will be cleaned and pretty much all cabins will be open for viewing. On B2B cruises in the past I have always enjoyed touring the OPEN Unoccupied cabins and will continue to do so. It is a common request when someone sees an upcoming cruise in a signature to request specific room pictures to be taken upon early embarkation. Prior to FTTF it was unsual to encounter any cabins that were already closed; completely clean and ready for occupants, which by the way a closed door indicates a room is clean and ready for passengers and closed doors were not opened.

The two cabins that I took pictures of were of interest to me; we had the inside booked until three days prior to the cruise and we considered booking the suite beside ours for the boys. The inside cabin was unoccupied for our sailing.

I can fully understand that you may feel I am teaching my children that it is OK to trespass. My children witnessed my interaction with our steward and on past cruises they have seen similar discussions. Would I enter an open door during a cruise or allow my children to do so? Absolutely not.

YB Nrml,

I am the 'OP' and have no issue with being identified as such. If I did have an issue with it, that in and of itself would be cause for concern. ;)

When we arrived at our room our steward was still in our room finishing up. I asked if the rooms to the starboard side were finished and he stated they were working that direction and had just pulled the rooms and they were not clean yet. I asked if I could step in and get pictures of the open rooms and he said no problem. He then came out into the hallway and pointed out the open doors and stated that all cabins with the doors open were still being cleaned and were fine to look into.

This was NOT the first time that I have taken pictures of unoccupied cabins at embarkation. As others have stated there will frequently be TA tours between cruises and specific cabins will be cleaned and pretty much all cabins will be open for viewing. On B2B cruises in the past I have always enjoyed touring the OPEN Unoccupied cabins and will continue to do so. It is a common request when someone sees an upcoming cruise in a signature to request specific room pictures to be taken upon early embarkation. Prior to FTTF it was unsual to encounter any cabins that were already closed; completely clean and ready for occupants, which by the way a closed door indicates a room is clean and ready for passengers and closed doors were not opened.

The two cabins that I took pictures of were of interest to me; we had the inside booked until three days prior to the cruise and we considered booking the suite beside ours for the boys. The inside cabin was unoccupied for our sailing.

I can fully understand that you may feel I am teaching my children that it is OK to trespass. My children witnessed my interaction with our steward and on past cruises they have seen similar discussions. Would I enter an open door during a cruise or allow my children to do so? Absolutely not.

I appreciate your feedback. Checking with the steward before entering a room is fine but still something I wouldn't do. Those stewards are so busy trying to get the ship turned around for the next group of pax that I wouldn't want to interrupt them.

I understand that people request pics of certain cabin layouts on reviews but you can usually find those pics in another review from someone that actually stayed in that type of room.

To clarify something, I was not trying to single anyone out, I've seen pics like this before. When I read your review it just hit me that I was uncomfortable with the idea that basically anyone can walk into my cabin before the door is shut and who knows what can happen? DH and I would not be happy to see a fellow pax exiting our cabin as we're coming down the hall. As I stated in an earlier post TA tours are a job that someone is doing and Carnival knows they are there for that purpose.

There are a lot of weird, sick people in the world (not saying you're one of them!) and I think people on cruises tend to let their guards down. For those reasons and others I just don't want anyone in my cabin that isn't authorized to be there.

I don't understand some of the answers here, especially the "My cabin" attitude. It's one thing to peek into an empty cabin before the new occupants arrive or old ones leave. The doors are OPEN and waiting. If you drop off carryons, why can't you just shut the door making it non visible?

Eh. Like I said, I have every intention of going to take a peek at the room I had before I upgraded. If someone were to call security because someone walked into an empty/unoccupied/possibly-unpurchased room for 2 seconds and took a pic then that would be fine with me.

If I walked to my room and someone had popped in to take a pic before I ever got there, or had wandered into the wrong room accidentally, I can't think of any reason to call the national guard or child services for possible child exploitation.

Had stuff been in the room, the door been closed, or the teen jumping on the bed, that would be a whole 'nother matter. But someone walking in and walking back out in 2 seconds?? Try to enjoy your vacation and don't sweat the small stuff.

Never said anything about child exploitation or calling the national guard. I enjoy our cruises very much and have never had reason to complain. This thread was started to see how other people felt about stepping into rooms that don't belong to them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am just stating my feelings on the subject.

I don't understand some of the answers here, especially the "My cabin" attitude. It's one thing to peek into an empty cabin before the new occupants arrive or old ones leave. The doors are OPEN and waiting. If you drop off carryons, why can't you just shut the door making it non visible?

When we drop off our carryons we do shut the door. As stated by previous posters sometimes there are gifts, liquor from Bon Voyage, excursion tickets etc already in the cabin before you arrive. The stewards prop open the doors to make it easier for them to get in and out. I just don't think you have any business entering a cabin that's not yours unless invited.

I completely agree - it's mine when I get there but otherwise if I don't have stuff in the room who really cares (well I guess the OP does!) but someone saying they would call security is just absolutely riduclous.

I appreciate your feedback. Checking with the steward before entering a room is fine but still something I wouldn't do. Those stewards are so busy trying to get the ship turned around for the next group of pax that I wouldn't want to interrupt them.

I understand that people request pics of certain cabin layouts on reviews but you can usually find those pics in another review from someone that actually stayed in that type of room.

To clarify something, I was not trying to single anyone out, I've seen pics like this before. When I read your review it just hit me that I was uncomfortable with the idea that basically anyone can walk into my cabin before the door is shut and who knows what can happen? DH and I would not be happy to see a fellow pax exiting our cabin as we're coming down the hall. As I stated in an earlier post TA tours are a job that someone is doing and Carnival knows they are there for that purpose.

There are a lot of weird, sick people in the world (not saying you're one of them!) and I think people on cruises tend to let their guards down. For those reasons and others I just don't want anyone in my cabin that isn't authorized to be there.

YB Nrml,

I don't feel singled out; no worries there. :)

You didn't mention, but another poster did mention that there are no procedures in place for indicating a room is ready; there are procedures and the open door indicates the room is NOT ready for occupants. As soon as they are finished cleaning and preparing a room they close the door. You may have noticed the rooms I took pictures of were not clean and the beds were stripped etc. We always board early and always take our carryons to the room. Without fail the room steward always advises us to shut and lock our doors after leaving our carryons. Even in cases where they weren't finished cleaning they still want all doors shut and locked if we leave carryons.

Between sailings travel agents might enjoy boarding a ship just for the free food, but if they weren't able to walk the halls and see open rooms I doubt they'd attend as many tours.

If your room is ready to be occupied, you and your husband will never be walking down the hall and see someone walking out of it. Not a travel agent nor Cruise Critic member, nor VIP, nor FTTF passenger. Your door will be shut and locked awaiting your entry.

RuthlessBoss,

You are correct; Shutting the door indicates the room is now occupied. Whether you are physically in the room or not, the room now belongs to you for the week. :)

Nine cruises and I've never experienced this. While I've walked past an open door and perhaps glanced in without breaking stride, I've never walked into a room that wasnt mine without an invite.

If there are organized tours prior to embarkation, and given the quick turnaround time the staff has to prep the rooms, thats one thing. However, the last person that should be in a room prior to embarkation is a crew member to make sure all is ready.

Again, perhaps I'm not clear on the concept, but the practice seems at best tacky and at worst, creepy. To each their own, and preferably their own cabin.

I'm not quite sure why it matters that you have never experienced this... but I'd like to point out that it's VERY possible that in one of those nine cruises, someone besides your room steward was in your room after embarkation began and before you got to the room to *gasp* look around. And you certainly don't seem to be tainted.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but it really bothers me that people care this much if someone does a quick room check! How selfish can you be?

This reminds me a lot of the people who don't like sharing family-style utensils. I understand that it's a psychological issue (as in, a different concept of boundaries not as in a crazy person problem), but I don't have it, so I can't understand the people that do.

On cruises when we walk by a cabin and the door is left open, I do glance in. I then wonder how the steward can make his way around all the crap left on the floor. Some of them look like a tornado went through the room. UGH! The stewards are worth every penny we pay them in tips.

I'm not quite sure why it matters that you have never experienced this..

**It's called a point of reference. Some have had others in their rooms, others haven't.**

. but I'd like to point out that it's VERY possible that in one of those nine cruises, someone besides your room steward was in your room after embarkation began and before you got to the room to *gasp* look around. And you certainly don't seem to be tainted.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but it really bothers me that people care this much if someone does a quick room check! How selfish can you be?

**Selfish? Seriously? I'm not the one that made a big deal of it. Simply calls into question why someone would go into a room that is clearly not theirs. Go to your own room and let the staff finish their preparation. They have enough to do as it is without people rolling through and potentially getting in their way because someone just has to see something.**

This reminds me a lot of the people who don't like sharing family-style utensils. I understand that it's a psychological issue (as in, a different concept of boundaries not as in a crazy person problem), but I don't have it, so I can't understand the people that do.

**Thank you Doctor.**

Edited by zephyrhillscruisers

I had a B and B stay where the owner said to look at all empty unlocked rooms....woops..one couple had not locked their door..a honeymoon rush..oh my Lord i will never stop being embarassed,.....

:D That is hilarious. Especially at a B & B where you probably encountered those honeymooners repeatedly. :o

Saw this thread earlier but didn't have time to reply. Personally I don't care who has been in "my" room before I get there. We have on our lasted 3 cruises done FTTF due to being Platinum. We go to our room and put our luggage in the room. And either take a nap or go get something to eat. Hopefully our checked luggage arrives early. :p

I have seen open rooms that are still being cleaned. But never has ask to go in. I can see how one would want to do get a feel for the size of the room or to see one of the L shaped rooms. Even with all the picture you can get on the internet, it nothing like being in the room.

It's NOT my room to I get in it and put my stuff in it. Even if I paid for it. You paid for a "space" on the ship. Yes you may have request a current type of room, but doesn't mean you will get it. What if something major happen in that room where they needed to move you?

I would think this happens all the time at hotels.

So once the cabin is "closed" then No I wouldn't want someone in the room. But while all the cabins are being cleaned and someone "wants" to look then that is fine. As long as they ask the room steward first.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul, of the situation surrounding the pics in ?.

Many of us feel on CC that we "know" you and that you & your family are respectful, helpful and would not do anything criminal, etc....

Unfortunately, it's a world full of many unscrupulous others, and many people just assume the worst or look for the bad angle in situations.

Good lord, some people are really easily worked up.

I agree with the posters stating that it is not YOUR cabin until you have been in it and shut the door, etc....

I see nothing wrong with poking a head in or taking a peek or pic of an UNoccupied cabin.

Especially since you asked the steward about it.

I personally would not do it without asking permission first, as I am certain is your view also.

Edited by silvercrikhix

Honestly, at first, I was thinking "what's the big deal?". I mean if was just embarkation is it really anyone's cabin yet? They obviously don't even have their things in the cabin yet if the door is open for just anyone to walk in otherwise the door would have been closed.

But, on further thought. A lot of passengers have pre ordered things placed in their cabins by this time...documents from Carnival..gifts from family members/friends.. gifts from TAs or from Carnival. So, yeah you're right it is a bad idea to be walking into cabins that are not yours just to check things out.

Very good point. When we cruise Carnival there is always something on the desk with our names on it.

Well said. I can't imagine what difference it could make to anyone if someone peeked in a room before it was occupied.

If one of you who are so upset about such a situation called security on me, I would truly enjoy the situation - for I would have encountered someone who in fact won't be able to enjoy their vacation - or even their lives - for not being able to sweat the smallest of stuff.

I would spend the rest of the cruise thinking how miserable that person must be everytime the slightest thing goes wrong. Lido table not cleared on time? Kids push buttons in elevators? Chairs hogged? "Status" not recognized? No towel animal? Steward doesn't remember your name? a 20 year old in Serenity? Center of chocolate melting cake not molten? EGADS, a ruined vacation!!

. . . Because of the loyalty level of some passengers, they have immediate access to their rooms upon embarkation, which does allow access to seeing those neighboring cabins as well . . ..

This is probably the one of the most pompous comments I have seen in a while, just because some one has sailed more than me they have earned the right to not only board first but have permission to access other surrounding cabins? Maybe it was just poorly worded, but it still doesn't help much because no matter if it the rooms owner first or fiftieth cruise, they are also VIP due to the nice suite they paid for...

There was absolutely nothing pompous intented whatsoever in my comment and I'm sorry that you read it that way. The goal was to only state an absolute fact that could assist in the story of this thread. Perhaps it would have been much better to use the word 'opportunity' rather than 'access'. I meant hallway access. Apologies for any unintended confusion.

All members of that 4-member family in question were already Carnival Platinum passengers prior to their sailing, and then also had suite access due to accomodation type booked. This allowed them the Faster To The Fun (FTTF) benefit of accessing their cabins earlier than any other passengers who were not eligible for that FTTF perk, and going past the doors that indicate all other passengers will need to wait for the announcement of cabins being ready for general access.

Along the way to their own booked accomodations, simple glances left and right will afford them the chance to see numerous cabins with open doors.

No, there is nothing in that FTTF perks that offers free/invited entry into other cabins (beyond your own), and I hope nothing I said inferred that to be the case.

There is a possibility that this family was the very first passengers to pass through the hallway access doors that day. In two weeks I'll probably be the very first passenger through the hallway access doors on my sailing. I have zero plans to take pictures of any stateroom accomodations whatsoever, including my own. I may not even take a camera (beyond my cell phone). I'll drop off my carryon, grab a nice beverage at the atrium bar, go back to my room and put the 'Nizoons' sign on the handle, then take a nap until muster. My upcoming embarkation process will offend no one.

Having NOT read all 85+ previous posts so don't know if he's chime din or not, but zydeco cruiser takes wonderful pictures of various cabins on various ships, especially while on the first or second cruises of brand new ships. He goes where doors are open, usually because the stewards are cleaning/prepping them. These pictures are extremely helpful for those of us wanting to see what a new ship looks like and what certain types of cabins on new ships look like.

Absolutely NOT a creepy act. But a good service.

I'm not quite sure why it matters that you have never experienced this... but I'd like to point out that it's VERY possible that in one of those nine cruises, someone besides your room steward was in your room after embarkation began and before you got to the room to *gasp* look around. And you certainly don't seem to be tainted.

Agree, why sweat the small stuff.

We've been invited aboard several ships for tours in Galveston and Florida. When we board our drivers license is kept by Carnival. Our travel agent gets us a list of cabins that are open, and we venture off to look around. It's a clear direction that only those cabins are open.

Now, none of that applies if a child was involved, you must be 21 to take part in the ship tours.

When the Magic came to Galveston we spent the night aboard and randomly got a nice balcony on the lido deck for the overnight stay. A few times when I opened the door people tried to look in. Go figure...

Edited by BallFour4

There was absolutely nothing pompous intented whatsoever in my comment and I'm sorry that you read it that way. The goal was to only state an absolute fact that could assist in the story of this thread. Perhaps it would have been much better to use the word 'opportunity' rather than 'access'. I meant hallway access. Apologies for any unintended confusion.

All members of that 4-member family in question were already Carnival Platinum passengers prior to their sailing, and then also had suite access due to accomodation type booked. This allowed them the Faster To The Fun (FTTF) benefit of accessing their cabins earlier than any other passengers who were not eligible for that FTTF perk, and going past the doors that indicate all other passengers will need to wait for the announcement of cabins being ready for general access.

Along the way to their own booked accomodations, simple glances left and right will afford them the chance to see numerous cabins with open doors.

No, there is nothing in that FTTF perks that offers free/invited entry into other cabins (beyond your own), and I hope nothing I said inferred that to be the case.

There is a possibility that this family was the very first passengers to pass through the hallway access doors that day. In two weeks I'll probably be the very first passenger through the hallway access doors on my sailing. I have zero plans to take pictures of any stateroom accomodations whatsoever, including my own. I may not even take a camera (beyond my cell phone). I'll drop off my carryon, grab a nice beverage at the atrium bar, go back to my room and put the 'Nizoons' sign on the handle, then take a nap until muster. My upcoming embarkation process will offend no one.

Don,

Thank you for elaborating; I should have done a better job of stating how and why I took the pictures to begin with. :o

Also thank you for reminding me that I need to transfer my iPhone pics; I got several and some turned out ok and I need to save them.

Having NOT read all 85+ previous posts so don't know if he's chime din or not, but zydeco cruiser takes wonderful pictures of various cabins on various ships, especially while on the first or second cruises of brand new ships. He goes where doors are open, usually because the stewards are cleaning/prepping them. These pictures are extremely helpful for those of us wanting to see what a new ship looks like and what certain types of cabins on new ships look like.

Absolutely NOT a creepy act. But a good service.

Crewsweeper,

Z gets a lot more than I do and unlike me he normally lists the room numbers; I always forget to get a quick shot of the room numbers for future reference.

Anytime I book a cruise in a new cabin I always like to find pics of my exact room; not one like it. I like knowing what I'm going to see before I see it. :)

Don,

Thank you for elaborating; I should have done a better job of stating how and why I took the pictures to begin with. :o

Also thank you for reminding me that I need to transfer my iPhone pics; I got several and some turned out ok and I need to save them.

I think some of us (I know I'm guilty) go on 'auto pilot' when opening the reviews of several CC members, and pretty much feel we pre-understand some of the content/process. ;)