How much time does it take to get on/off the ship?

Jay Demelt

As first time cruisers, we are trying to budget our time in the ports. In July, we will be on Celebrity Infinity in Alaska. Our itinerary states that we will dock in Juneau at 2:30PM and depart at 10:00PM. Knowing how long it takes to get 2000 people on and off a ship, and all of the ship's rules, how much time will we realistically have to do our own thing in port? We "must" visit the capital building and Mendenhall glacier, but would like to do more if time permits. Any chance of that?

Thanks.

Welcome to cruise critic and congratulations on your sailing to Alaska. We did that itin a few years ago and loved it.

One of the things you should look for out here on the boards are the ship's newsletters. You don't mention your cruiseline, but for instance, Carnival has the "Fun Times" and they give you one daily. In that newsletter, they will tell you what time you must be back on board. It's usually about 30 minutes before departure and they move you through the line fairly quickly.

Be sure to check out the Alaska board out here. I am sure you'll find a lot of helpful information there so you can plan appropriately.

I see you are on Celebrity Infinity which at least isnt a huge ship. If you want to be first off the ship, expect to sit and wait for the all clear and to stand in line. If you can wait 30 or 45 minutes, the line will clear up. I wait whenever I can to avoid the first rush off the ship.

My wife and I are going on our ver first cruise next summer to Alaska and this was one of my very same questions/concerns. It seems like from the things I have read, getting on the boat really only takes a lot of time when you are first boarding to start your trip.

We are going on the Spirit and are staying in room 6329, which has VIP boarding. I assume this will save time at the initial home port, but is there any benefit at the ports of call along the way?

To get in both of those attractions you are going to be pushing it. The problem is the lateness of docking. You can walk to the Capitol building, then back to the pier area to get the Express bus (Blue) to Mendenhall glacier. It runs every half hour, but only until 9pm. Not sure if that is the last bus TO the glacier, and the last one returning would be 6:30p. A good site for what is available is here:

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

Lots of good maps, too. EM

My wife and I are going on our ver first cruise next summer to Alaska and this was one of my very same questions/concerns. It seems like from the things I have read, getting on the boat really only takes a lot of time when you are first boarding to start your trip.

We are going on the Spirit and are staying in room 6329, which has VIP boarding. I assume this will save time at the initial home port, but is there any benefit at the ports of call along the way?

No, your cabin will not affect how you leave a ship in a port, unless it's a tender port, and then you MAY get priority tender tickets. But in a regular port of call, everyone just gets off the ship, regardless of what cabin they're in.

To be quite honest, although most cruise lines have some kind of priority boarding, it usually winds up meaning nothing because so many passengers get that supposed perk.

OP, if the ship is docked, meaning you're at a port where the ship pulls right up to the pier and you don't tender into the port, they should probably start allowing passengers to walk off the ship at 2:45 to 2:50. Everyone just lines up to walk down the gangway. Believe it or not, the ship empties pretty quickly.

If the ship sails at 10 pm, you must be back on board by 9:30. They start pulling in the gangways by that time. Some people think that if it says the ship leaves at 10, they can just stroll on at that time. But the reality is, the ship is actually pulling away at 10pm.

As far as the two sites you want to see, it will be hectic, but if you don't waste time, you might be able to do it. You're lucky that it stays light very late.

As first time cruisers, we are trying to budget our time in the ports. In July, we will be on Celebrity Infinity in Alaska. Our itinerary states that we will dock in Juneau at 2:30PM and depart at 10:00PM. Knowing how long it takes to get 2000 people on and off a ship, and all of the ship's rules, how much time will we realistically have to do our own thing in port? We "must" visit the capital building and Mendenhall glacier, but would like to do more if time permits. Any chance of that?

Thanks.

If the ship arrives on time you will like begin getting off at around 3:00 PM.

The Capitol Building is about a 30 minute walk from the ship. I do recommend it. Be sure to check their web site for hours.

You could do more than the two items you have planned.

Have a wonderful time.

Keith

Archived