How many pre/post-cruise days in Sydney/Auckland?

ohmark

OK first the right side facing forward The captain spot is called left seat, FO is right seat.....pilot lingo

you can get full fare business rt to Sydney on UAL for $ 7124pp or 175,000 un restricted.

How to get them? well you only have to get them 1 way for ff and ther other revenue SO that whacks it to $3562pp !

Now I assume there are 2 of you. Today each goes and signs up for a AA or UAL card ( steer clear of Delta more miles less seats UAL will be the best)

Now each of you gets their explorer cc. that's 30k +5= 35,000 if you put each othes name on eachothre card. Wait 60 to 90 days ... get another each another 35K your now up to 70K.

repeat the process 2 more times... your now at 140,000 miles each.

Now charge everything on the cards paying it off at the end of each mo.

Totally quit paying cash.... You do not do business with anyone who does not take your CC !!! NONE .

Charge your one way fare 3552 itiwill get yoy double miles 7124 miles each SO your at 147,100.

Charge your cruise say 20,000 Split cards so each gets 10,000. Now your at 157,000 miles Figure in a year using the card for everything you spend a total of 40,000 on beans bacon, gas, insurance,tax payments medical, etc. Your normal budget. giving each of you 20,000 miles AND 177,125.... your in free

Go look at " the points guy" web site. I have no trouble maintaining 400 to 500K milles and my wife 300,K....... So can you if you start now and play the game.....

Dan, I appreciate all of the info, unfortunately none of it answered my question. Let's assume I have all the miles I need but they are on AA, here is the problem:

For the next 330 or so days there is no business or first availability on the AA website from my location or DFW or LAX to SYD or NZ, not for any amount of miles,

so, that is the issue.

That Qantas sale looks interesting, that we could swing. As we get closer to booking this I'll see what's available there.

Dan, I appreciate all of the info, unfortunately none of it answered my question. Let's assume I have all the miles I need but they are on AA, here is the problem:

For the next 330 or so days there is no business or first availability on the AA website from my location or DFW or LAX to SYD or NZ, not for any amount of miles,

so, that is the issue.

That Qantas sale looks interesting, that we could swing. As we get closer to booking this I'll see what's available there.

That's why I never fly AA..or Delta.

I found till April 2, on the Qantas web site, under Business class seats they have a sale tr LAX toSYD for JAN-Feb 2015. for $ 3680 rt ( coach is 2000)

I would use my AA miles to LAX, get a hotel for a day and continue on. Use O's $1200 credit and save the 175 deviation. That's that makes the rt Business class to $2300..... cheap considering what your getting. $500 more than coach !!!! each way... ( 1 meal at La Reserve for 2 )

Hey, I am retired. I will get a cheaper cabin, skip some extras and wines inorder tohave a comfortable vacation.... What one spends on one hand, can be used to save on the other. Your just spending the same..just on different things.

We did a bucket list trip in 2013 from the UK to Canberra via /Singapore. flew business class with Singapore Airlines, their service and lounges were fantastic. As we were in no rush we stopped over in Singapore for 7 days (you need endless funds or a lottery win to stay longer). Then we did a week in Bangkok.

ARRIVING IN Canberra we stayed with relatives for 12 days and then went to Cairns for a week. After flying back to CANBERRA we stayed over for another week before hiring a car and driving Sydney. Took it easy over 2 days.

Accommodation in Sydney especially near the Harbor is very expensive we were recommended to stay in Parramatta about 12 miles out of Sydney and former site of the Olympics.

So much to see and do in Sydney allow as much time as you can afford. the natives are friendly and the food great. It's like the USA but with an element of sophistication and hum our.

To get into Sydney there were so many options. Train about 20 minutes return journey very cheap. Even cheaper was the river boat travels down the river right into the harbor where you utilize the same ticket to ride the ferries to Darling Harbor and other spots.

If you like seafood you must try any of the Doyle's fish restaurants.

We did another week here before joining the Radiance On its repositioning to Hawaii. A great trip and hopefully we will do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it humerous people complaining to Aussies about how long the flight is to get here, try living here and having the 15 hour flight to LA one of the quickest international flights we do! :D. Outside of New Zealand every other country is a minimum of 6 hour flight from Melbourne or Sydney, it takes 24 hours of flight time to reach Europe. This year will be the first year in about 6 years I haven't done one of these flights, and only one of those has been business class as we cashed in all our Amex points and flew return to Milan 2 years ago.

I just suck it up and keep myself entertained, at the end of the day it's a single day of being a bit uncomfortable and tired, compared to being able to spend a few weeks in an amazing location. I certainly wouldn't not go somewhere just because I had to spend half a day in economy.

To the OP, in answer to your original question, 4 days in Sydney would give you the highlights. Stay in the Rocks/Circular Quay/CBD and you will have easy access to the main sights, ferries and many public transport options and you will have plenty of dining options too. Do not stay in Parramatta.

Sure would love to know some tricks for getting these business or first class tickets with FF miles. AA is the only option I have and it doesn't seem to matter if you have a million miles the flights just aren't available. On the other hand if you buy them the cheapest I can get for first or business, not the full fare but the ones with restrictions are over 12k each. That's around $25,000 for tickets for the 2 of us. That's not happening.

I've looked at multi city bookings and can get some legs first or business, but not the whole flight.

Most likely the problem is that you are trying to get two tickets. If you run your search with a single seat you can probably find them.

Call the FF number and hope to get an agent who is willing to put in the time to see what can be done. And if it doesn't work the first time, wait a day and try again. Two first class or business class are often very difficult as many airlines post one, and maybe open up another seat a long time later . But I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday with my Delta agent and she was able to find us tickets. AA has many partners and some are more generous with the seats. We don't have the planes we wanted and the upper class seats probably aren't quite as good as some others, but except for an hour flight beginning our trip, we have the upper class seats into one te Pacific Islands and out of Australia. Good luck- and remember that the 2 or 3 hours you spend on the phone are probably saving you nearly $10,000 an hour!

Edited by 5waldos

Most likely the problem is that you are trying to get two tickets. If you run your search with a single seat you can probably find them.

Call the FF number and hope to get an agent who is willing to put in the time to see what can be done. And if it doesn't work the first time, wait a day and try again. Two first class or business class are often very difficult as many airlines post one, and maybe open up another seat a long time later . But I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday with my Delta agent and she was able to find us tickets. AA has many partners and some are more generous with the seats. We don't have the planes we wanted and the upper class seats probably aren't quite as good as some others, but except for an hour flight beginning our trip, we have the upper class seats into one te Pacific Islands and out of Australia. Good luck- and remember that the 2 or 3 hours you spend on the phone are probably saving you nearly $10,000 an hour!

Thank you for this info. Yes, I was trying to get two seats. For now I've just been exploring availability trying some dummy bookings. When we get closer to locking in a cruise I'll try calling an agent. I'm pretty sure there is a charge for that, but in this situation if they can accomplish getting the tickets it would be worth the extra charge. The only thing that complicates the situation is that we are traveling with another couple that are wanting to do the same thing.

How many pre-cruise days would you allow for Sydney sightseeing?
FWIW, the current edition of the CC list of things to do in Sydney is here.

The real question is: How long have you got? If you want to see Sydney and the surrounding areas properly and you will never be back, a month would probably be about the right length of time.

OP, how long you need in Auckland depends on your interests.

If you only want to get a brief feel for the city centre, a couple of days will be plenty.

However, if it was me I would allow at least 4 nights, hire a car, and get out of Auckland.

I happen to love Rotorua and I always think it's a shame that cruise passengers get such a small, commercial snapshot of it. I'm not sure who's hailing it as a NZ Yellowstone as I've certainly never heard a kiwi refer to it as that. Rotorua has a whole identity of it's own and is very special. I rarely visit the geysers, yet love the bush walks and beautiful lakes there such as Blue and Green Lakes and Lake Tarawera. For those wanting to try something a bit more adventurous, The Luge is great fun. Nearby Taupo is also lovely.

The Coromandel is an easy drive from Auckland and has a great mix of beaches and bush walks. The Bay of Islands is similar.

Within Auckland itself there are some lovely Regional Parks and beaches, but they are a bit difficult to reach without a car.

To answer your original question. I think you will need 4 nights before and at least 2 nights post cruise. It all depends on what you want to do. Our first day after a long-haul journey whether TA or PA is always fuzzy. The next few days are the important ones. If you stay in the city these links may help

http://www.maritimemuseum.co.nz/wawcs0142395/voyager-live-sailings.html

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com

http://www.maxx.co.nz/media/83423/cg_central_guide_feb_2013_web.pdf

http://at.govt.nz/bus-train-ferry/

http://www.fullers.co.nz/destinations-tours/waiheke/waiheke-explorer-tour.php

http://waiheke.aucklandnz.com

In Sydney we arrive at 6:00 am so will stay one night in the Rocks area and explore there. The Opera House, Botanical Gardens and harbor ferries and tours are all within walking distance.

I find it humerous people complaining to Aussies about how long the flight is to get here, try living here and having the 15 hour flight to LA one of the quickest international flights we do! :D. Outside of New Zealand every other country is a minimum of 6 hour flight from Melbourne or Sydney, it takes 24 hours of flight time to reach Europe. This year will be the first year in about 6 years I haven't done one of these flights, and only one of those has been business class as we cashed in all our Amex points and flew return to Milan 2 years ago.

I just suck it up and keep myself entertained, at the end of the day it's a single day of being a bit uncomfortable and tired, compared to being able to spend a few weeks in an amazing location. I certainly wouldn't not go somewhere just because I had to spend half a day in economy.

I agree; our daughters were living in London for years and we always went economy.

Re comments on prices in Australia; it is purely a function of the currently high level of the Aussie dollar and the fact that tourists generally eat in high priced areas in most countries. We have just been in Sabah in Malaysia and the differential between local prices and prices in the resorts was far higher than in Sydney. Our overall level of tax in Australia is average.

To be honest, Sydney is definitely not my favorite place in Australia, and Auckland definitely isn't my favorite place in New Zealand. I would give myself 3 days in SYD, and 2 days in AKL, and that would be just dandy. Sure, you can spend weeks in either, but 5 days between the two is just fine...with SYD taking more days than AKL, no doubt.