Paris and taxis ?

SAS21

We use the metro almost all the time. There are trains that can get you almost anywhere you want to go faster and cheaper than a cab. The metro is safe and relatively clean.

We have taken taxis, in some areas, taxi stands can be hard to find.

We have taken a taxi from/to the airport, but that can be very expensive. On our last visit a few years ago, it cost over a $100 for a cab ride from the airport because of traffic problems.

You can take a train to get close to your hotel and then take a cab or there are shuttle services that charge a fixed fee.

Dave

There is another option in Paris which are the "Radio Taxis." There is a company that we really like called "Taxi G7" and they even have an English speaking phone number. You can reserve a taxi in advance or just call them to have the nearest available taxi sent directly to your location. The only down side is they drop the meter from the point at which they start to your location which means you are going to pay a few extra Euros. But we sometimes prefer the radio taxi scheme to waiting around for a taxi at an empty taxi stand. It is also a great option if you find yourself someplace (like a restaurant) that is not close to a taxi stand.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
Is it possible to take a train from Paris to the airport with luggage?

Absolutely. But you must be capable of handling your own luggage (nobody is going to help). We have taken luggage on the RER trains to CDG, although it is wise to not do so during the afternoon rush hour. But you do need to always maintain control over your luggage as Paris has it's share of thieves just like every large city.

Hank

Hi, I'm another who would highly recommend the metro system in Paris (as long as you don't have any mobility issues)

We bought a week long pass, & for us, it was well worth it, the system is well laid out & easy to navigate.

There are a few stations where it's quite a walk through long tunnels to get to the trains, which is why I mentioned the mobility issue.

Hi, I'm another who would highly recommend the metro system in Paris (as long as you don't have any mobility issues)

We bought a week long pass, & for us, it was well worth it, the system is well laid out & easy to navigate.

There are a few stations where it's quite a walk through long tunnels to get to the trains, which is why I mentioned the mobility issue.

Totally agree- do the metro! We only took a taxi from Gare du Nord to our hotel in the 12th arrondissement and a taxi from our hotel to the airport. Metro was easy to navigate- just fyi the stop for Montmartre is a lot of steps. We laughed at people waiting for the elevator. That's why lol

When it comes to the Metro, DW and I are a bit contrarian. We both love Paris and have spent many hours of many days walking miles around the city. The only way to really discover many of the charms of the city are to walk! The Metro is great to get longer distances from Point A to Point B, but does not allow you to see anything between! So when we analyzed the way we spend our time in Paris (lots of walking) we realized that the Metro passes were just not a good buy. Instead, we prefer just buying a Carnet (10 metro tickets) when needed. I mention this because there are many different options in Paris including Paris Passes, Paris Visite Pass (metro and bus), Carnets (10 Metro/bus tickets at a discount), etc. Ideally one needs to consider their own needs while in the city and buy what works for their own travel habits. With all the options one can spend an awful lot of money on Passes that will not be utilized enough to justify the high cost. Or, a very expensive Paris Pass can turn out to be a bargain.

Hank

When it comes to the Metro... Ideally one needs to consider their own needs while in the city and buy what works for their own travel habits.

My husband and I are also walkers. We tend to use the Metro if we need to be at a specific and distant place at a certain time, like the start of a walking tour. But after our first destination, our days are spent walking. In a seven day visit to Paris, I estimate we'll use the Metro four or five times. As a result, we don't even buy a limited use Metro pass. We simply pay the point to point fares for the few times we need to use the Metro.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

My husband and I are also walkers. We tend to use the Metro if we need to be at a specific and distant place at a certain time, like the start of a walking tour. But after our first destination, our days are spent walking. In a seven day visit to Paris, I estimate we'll use the Metro four or five times. As a result, we don't even buy a limited use Metro pass. We simply pay the point to point fares for the few times we need to use the Metro.

You probably would do better with a "Carnet" so I will explain. A "Carnet" is simply a pack of 10 single metro tickets and it can be purchased at any of the ticket vending machines or at a ticket window. A Carnet will cost you 14.10€ or 1.40€. You just stick those 10 tickets in your pocket and use them as you please without having to stop and by a single ticket every time you enter the Metro or a bus. But if you choose to buy a single ticket you are going to pay 1.80€. So simply speaking a Carnet saves you about 50 cents per ticket which is a nice discount. Another advantage of a carnet is that since you are simply buying 10 single tickets....it can be shared by a couple or groups.

Hank

Paris is pretty spread out. Walking is nice, but not if time is a factor. The Paris metro system is among the best and most economical I have seen anywhere. There are stops just about everywhere among several lines in the city. I agree that the Carnet (pronounced kar-nay) is the way to go if you're gong to be in Paris for three or four or more days. It helps to print out a Metro map before heading to Paris as well. We used the map to plan out our trips, especially ones involving restaurants at night.

When it comes to the Metro, DW and I are a bit contrarian. We both love Paris and have spent many hours of many days walking miles around the city. The only way to really discover many of the charms of the city are to walk! The Metro is great to get longer distances from Point A to Point B, but does not allow you to see anything between! So when we analyzed the way we spend our time in Paris (lots of walking) we realized that the Metro passes were just not a good buy. Instead, we prefer just buying a Carnet (10 metro tickets) when needed. I mention this because there are many different options in Paris including Paris Passes, Paris Visite Pass (metro and bus), Carnets (10 Metro/bus tickets at a discount), etc. Ideally one needs to consider their own needs while in the city and buy what works for their own travel habits. With all the options one can spend an awful lot of money on Passes that will not be utilized enough to justify the high cost. Or, a very expensive Paris Pass can turn out to be a bargain.

Hank

Hank, that's a very good point--we usually don't buy passes, but were thinking of doing so in Paris. Have you spent much time on Paris buses? Are they easy to navigate? (I have some French.) Is there any kind of ticket validation that happens that allows transfer from metro to bus?

I'm concerned about the fact that many Metro stations apparently don't have escalators or elevators--thinking that judicious use of cabs might work better, although a few good bus routes might be helpful. Also will consider the HoHo, perhaps for the first full day.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We are not experts on the buses since we prefer to walk just about everywhere. In fact, we like to think that anything in the 1st through 7th Arrondisements is within our walking range. Keep in mind that when we are in Paris it is usually for at least 4-7 days so being in a hurry is not part of our vocabulary. But one we do use buses we always consult an online (or printed) bus map at get the proper bus number for where we want to go. One hassle is that the maps do not usually tell you exactly which bus stop has a particular line and when you are in some popular areas like near Odean (our beloved St Germain des Pres) there can be multiple bus stops within a block...each serving on certain routes. We have sometimes walked to 2 or 3 bus stops before we found the bus we wanted (they do have signs with the bus numbers at each stop). We do know that both the #42 and #69 routes are often touted as great tourist routes. But we have only used buses when we wanted to get from Point A to Point B and the bus was more convenient then the metro.

The metro tickets are also good on the buses so that is another reason we purchase "Carnets' and always have a few tickets in our pocket. We can then just jump on a bus or the metro without looking for a ticket vending machine.

You are correct that many Metro stations do not have escalators and or working elevators. A few years ago we stumbled on a web site that has some info about accessibility:

http://parisbytrain.com/map-paris-wheelchair-reduced-mobility-accessibility-metro-rer-bus-tram/

There are several HoHo companies/routes and they are very popular with tourists. We do not personally use HoHos, but have met plenty of folks who love that mode of transportation. Keep in mind that the best seats on many of the buses are on the upper deck (often open) where one gets a better view. These upper decks do mean climbing up the narrow stairs but its worth the climb when the weather is good.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Taxis are everywhere. Know where you are going before getting in a taxi. Most taxi drivers are honest. I did have one once that really took us for a long ride. I was staying at a very expensive hotel and had the hotel get me the taxi. Bad move. The metro is easy to use and is fast. There are also buses that work well. Buy a Paris Practic book with maps and bus/metro stops superimposed on the maps. Be careful in the metro. My spouse just had a camera taken out of a PacSafe bag. The pickpockets are everywhere. Be aware of your surroundings.

...Be careful in the metro. My spouse just had a camera taken out of a PacSafe bag. The pickpockets are everywhere. Be aware of your surroundings.

Hmm. How was that done? I use a Travelon bag routinely when I travel, with the metal in the strap, mesh on the front, extra latches, etc. Just wondering how the theft was accomplished.

And thanks for the reminder--will be in Paris in October.

• 2 months later...

We have visited Paris many time over past 20 years... always walked every where... but now we are getting older, i.e., 83/68... so do plan on using buses on our next trip... we always stay out at the airport ... take the Rossiybus into the city and then go from there on our day activities.

We like to be above ground to enjoy the city... we enjoy visiting the neighborhoods and shopping.

Have recently read about a shuttle service from CDG to the city Center, called Easybus... not very expensive, but one needs to make a reservation in advance. May work for those who are trying to get from CDG to the city center with luggage, would still need to use the metro or a taxi to get to a hotel. Can be booked on line.

You don't see too many posts on here about Uber, but I am reading that it's a great alternative and now doing well in Paris. I think it's something now to consider. While we will use the metro for the most part, I can see using Uber once or twice during our four days in Paris this summer.

Is it possible to take a train from Paris to the airport with luggage?

The RER system has a train to CDG Airport.

http://parisbytrain.com/paris-rer/

The RER is the way to get to and from the airport, unless you take the AF bus. Taxis to and from the airport are VERY expensive.

The RER has room for luggage, just keep it close to you. Also, pickpockets are terrible, wear a money belt and take precautions.