FULL Review NCL Escape 6/10-6/17 2017 Western Caribbean

refted

Some facts: DW and I are in our late 50's; sailing with 22 yr old son, celebrating college graduation. We sailed NCL once, 2001 Sun to Western Carib. We really like this itineray. I have also sailed Holland America twice, DW once. (One was with Mom in 2002). Mainly chose the Escape due to the ports and the time of year; not many ships in these ports in June that we would consider.

PRECRUISE: Flew into MIA from PHL Friday arriving around 2:00 to thunderstorms. Grabbed checked bag and tried Uber for the first time. Driver drove past us. We called him, little English spoken. Handed the phone to my son who is very fluent. He told him where we were, and then he circled and drove past us two more times. I cancelled the Uber and was promptly charged $5 cancellation fee. I disputed it, told I owed. disputed again, charge was credited to the next ride. Stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn Miami Beach South Beach. Arrived at 3, room ready at 4. The weather stayed cloudy and rainy so we had a nice meal at the Yard House and retired early.

EMBARKATION: Our goal was to get Vibe passes, so we arrived at the port at 8:45, terminal C. We were about 20 back in the line, After we were let in around 9:00, things got confusing. Most people took the available chairs on the side, and the rest of us got in the roped off line. Some of the people in the chairs got spooked so they didn't stay seated; now they were behind people who arrived after them. When they started screening, they opened it up to the seated people first, so of whom had not arrived first. The port employees really need to be more clear about this.

Once they started letting us in, I got held up because of a knee replacement; it always sets the metal detector off. Meanwhile DW and son went to the counter to get ID and picture taken. From there it was a race up to the next floor to the waiting area. My son had the first seat on the benches in the waiting area. We still could not be sure of where we would be let in, so we asked. Shortly thereafter a barrier was place, and then we knew where we would be let in. Nearly 2 hours late, at 11:15, this rope was opened and we ran like rabbits up the stairs to the gangway. One of the passengers ahead of us had been given the same ID as his wife and this held us up a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, we knew that the other terminal was getting to Headliners! FINALLY they took him aside and we got through, running up the gangway, onto the ship, down the stairs, the midship to Headliners! We got passes 20, 21, and 22. WHY does NCL put us through this?! We really treasure a quiet place to relax on the ship; were in the Retreat on our last HAL cruise, but we were able to purchase that in advance. The uncertainty of Vibe causes much undue stress and anxiety. WE MADE IT!!!

To be continued...

IMG_4285.JPG.f1aa973074232c7ad7b07eeaa566a29f.JPG

Looking forward to the rest of your review. Will be on the Escape for the second time July 15th. Congrats on getting your passes. I agree, it is a stressful way to start a cruise. Hope the rest went well.

Mary Ann

After receiving our Vibe Beach Club passes, we went straight to a station in the same room for restaurant reservations. We were then informed that only 20% of available reservations are available in advance. We were able to get a reservation for Teppanyaki for Friday night. Then it was straight the Atrium Bar for a drink to relax a little! We counted our blessings and went straight to Vibe, where we were greeted by our new friends TallandTaller, as well as Rommel, Michael, and Rommel. (Yes there are 2 bartenders named Rommel!) We had another drink and then explored the ship. Our rooms were ready around 3:00, then muster. Beware the lifts post muster! In fact, avoid the elevators as much as you can. This is my primary problem with this ship: 16 public elevators is not nearly enough for 4200 passengers. The only time that this is not an issue was very early in the morning. Often a full car would stop at floor after floor, only to delay the trip even further. And don't forget Murphy's Elevator Law: When you want to go up, most of the cars are already up, and when you want to go down...you guessed it!

Dinner this night was in Food Republic, which was probably the best meal we had the entire cruise. We walked around the ship and saw that Dueling Pianos was packed! Unfortunately we never made it to this show.

I was on the same cruise as you, good job with the Vibe. But personally for me i can't be bothered with it, there were plenty of places away from the main pool area to get the sun in my opinion.

But i agree with you, they should sell passes similar to how they do with the Thermal SPA and make it easy and less of a hazard.

Was also on this cruise.

Agree that the elevators were painful when everyone was on board!! This is usually not a problem on NCLs smaller ships, as 4-6 flights of stairs will get you to the deck you want, but on the Escape with dining/entertainment on 6-7-8 and pool/sun decks on 16-17-18-19, walking 8-10 flights is not fun!

Vibe is a sore subject for me - We had parking/drop-off issues and got group 12, by which time headliners had the "Vibe sold out" sign out. Serveral times, however, I used the starboard-side stairs from sundeck 20 down to the sundeck 19 walkway which gives you a perfect view imto Vibe - It was EMPTY or at most 2 people in the tub everytime!!! Even on sea days! Dont get me wrong, its great for those 2 people, but it seems to me 75-80% of the people who get Vibe passes (Haven guests?) DONT USE IT! Something has to change! There has to be a way to allow people who want to pay AND use it get passes. Handing out passes to those who have the money and get on early simply because of lattitutes status or Haven bookers but really dont have any intention of using them is a waste. Going to a Day pass only system would seem to work better - first come to deck 19 Vibe door, first served - every day.

Handing out passes to those who have the money and get on early simply because of lattitutes status or Haven bookers but really dont have any intention of using them is a waste.

A waste for whom? If the person with the pass doesn't feel that it is a waste, why should you? Is there a magic number of minutes or hours that would make it not a waste?

Going to a Day pass only system would seem to work better - first come to deck 19 Vibe door, first served - every day.

That would create a "VIBE hog" situation instead of a "chair hog" situation. People would get there at the crack of dawn to get in line, get their day pass, then take off to do other things just like "chair hogs".

We got passes 20, 21, and 22. WHY does NCL put us through this?! We really treasure a quiet place to relax on the ship; were in the Retreat on our last HAL cruise, but we were able to purchase that in advance.

Your 100% correct NCL needs to make the passes just like the Thermal Spa passes, excursions, dining and a whole host other things Available Online

If you could see that no one was in the Vibe a lot of the time then it must not be the draw that everyone hypes it out to be? I think you really have to be a sun lover or hope for a day without wind so the umbrellas can be out. I personally would not spend 99$ extra for a shot o'clock and sunburn. Obviously a lot of people have had a great time in the Vibe for it to be such a wanted ticket!

I honestly think some people get the Vibe pass just to say they did it! LOL

I know for us, this was simply not the case. We used it. The padded chairs, fitted towel over the pad, access to umbrellas, waiters bringing water pitchers/glasses and other drinks was worth the cost alone. Not to mention the camaraderie with fellow Vibers/bartenders at and around the bar. The access to the umbrellas was huge, as I'm sure that you would have to reserve a seat early in Spice H2O to get one. That being said, there were clearly some who used it sparingly, if at all. There were at most 30-35 people in there at any one time, and 69 passes were sld. The first sea day, Sunday, was very windy, especially in the afternoon. But Friday was perfect; even the sea was like glass.

Sunday At Sea: We arose early and went to the gym at 6 am. It opens at 6 am. It was crowded at 6 am! Not bad, but by 7 it was a zoo. The gym is small but well equipped. Pet peeve: Taking 2 different sets of dumbbells at this place and alternating exercises. Really? Because we had ordered coffee and fruit to be delivered b/t 7-7:30, we rushed back to the cabin (10788, starboard fore, near the stairs/lifts), and the waiter was there at 6:58 knocking! The room service coffee was a real highlight; dark, hot, rich. the fruit was very good as well.Then down to O'Sheehans to watch the French Open men's Final. This breakfast was just OK; definitely a step down from Taste and Savor.

We started the day at Vibe, but it soon became too windy to remain, so we spent a good part of the day on the Waterfront. If you need a nice quiet spot out of the sun, this is it. The couches are really great. We returned to Vibe after lunch at O'Sheehans (Reuben, fajitas, broccoli soup) but we were again repelled by the winds, so we returned to the Waterfront. DW did a wine and chocolate tasting in the Cellars Wine Bar. This is normally priced at $20, but UBP gets a 20% discount. DW really enjoyed this.We had dinner at Bayamo, and being from the Philadelphia area we were excited to go to a Jose Garces restaurant. But we were very underwhelmed. Along with Cagney's this was the most disappointing specialty restaurant that we visited.

Sunday At Sea: We arose early and went to the gym at 6 am. It opens at 6 am. It was crowded at 6 am! Not bad, but by 7 it was a zoo. The gym is small but well equipped. Pet peeve: Taking 2 different sets of dumbbells at this place and alternating exercises. Really? Because we had ordered coffee and fruit to be delivered b/t 7-7:30, we rushed back to the cabin (10788, starboard fore, near the stairs/lifts), and the waiter was there at 6:58 knocking! The room service coffee was a real highlight; dark, hot, rich. the fruit was very good as well.Then down to O'Sheehans to watch the French Open men's Final. This breakfast was just OK; definitely a step down from Taste and Savor.

We started the day at Vibe, but it soon became too windy to remain, so we spent a good part of the day on the Waterfront. If you need a nice quiet spot out of the sun, this is it. The couches are really great. We returned to Vibe after lunch at O'Sheehans (Reuben, fajitas, broccoli soup) but we were again repelled by the winds, so we returned to the Waterfront. DW did a wine and chocolate tasting in the Cellars Wine Bar. This is normally priced at $20, but UBP gets a 20% discount. DW really enjoyed this.We had dinner at Bayamo, and being from the Philadelphia area we were excited to go to a Jose Garces restaurant. But we were very underwhelmed. Along with Cagney's this was the most disappointing specialty restaurant that we visited.

Thank you for doing a review! I really appreciate it. Will be on the Escape in two weeks.

I go to the gym six days a week (off Sundays so this would be our first sea/full day on the cruise) and there before opening at 5 am so I guess I will have to do the same and be ready for 6 am on vacation :( Can I ask you when you got there at 6 am, were the doors already open? Were there treadmills available at 6 am? Were the rowing machines available at 6 am or 6:30-7 am? Did you notice the amount of people dropped off as the cruise went on? Sometimes I have noticed on port days that there were less people but on my last Getaway cruise, it seemed the gym was always busy and someone actually had an argument about waiting and being next for a treadmill, not the way I want to start my morning, especially on vacation.

I have Cagney's booked twice in a couple of weeks, yikes! It use to be our favorite meal. I certainly want to try Food Republic, so much food to fit in LOL

Thank you so much for taking the time to post.

Thank you for doing a review! I really appreciate it. Will be on the Escape in two weeks.

I go to the gym six days a week (off Sundays so this would be our first sea/full day on the cruise) and there before opening at 5 am so I guess I will have to do the same and be ready for 6 am on vacation :( Can I ask you when you got there at 6 am, were the doors already open? Were there treadmills available at 6 am? Were the rowing machines available at 6 am or 6:30-7 am? Did you notice the amount of people dropped off as the cruise went on? Sometimes I have noticed on port days that there were less people but on my last Getaway cruise, it seemed the gym was always busy and someone actually had an argument about waiting and being next for a treadmill, not the way I want to start my morning, especially on vacation.

I have Cagney's booked twice in a couple of weeks, yikes! It use to be our favorite meal. I certainly want to try Food Republic, so much food to fit in LOL

I wouldn't worry about Cagney review. As always different people like different things. I was on board the week before and while family loved Cagney. I on the other hand I looked forward to the wings on board and was disappointed.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong but everyone enjoys different things so don't worry about food reviews.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Your 100% correct NCL needs to make the passes just like the Thermal Spa passes, excursions, dining and a whole host other things Available Online
If VIBE was available to book online and suite guests could book 10 days sooner than non-suite guests (just like dinner reservations), would people complain if VIBE was sold out by the 90 day mark?

I know for us, this was simply not the case. We used it. The padded chairs, fitted towel over the pad, access to umbrellas, waiters bringing water pitchers/glasses and other drinks was worth the cost alone. Not to mention the camaraderie with fellow Vibers/bartenders at and around the bar. The access to the umbrellas was huge, as I'm sure that you would have to reserve a seat early in Spice H2O to get one. That being said, there were clearly some who used it sparingly, if at all. There were at most 30-35 people in there at any one time, and 69 passes were sld. The first sea day, Sunday, was very windy, especially in the afternoon. But Friday was perfect; even the sea was like glass.

I only said some people not all.....I walked around H20 a few times during both sea days and non seas days, easy to get a chair or drink.

I'm on this cruise in August. Did they change ship time to match local time? I'm doing a fishing charter in Cozumel and want to make sure that I allow for time zone difference if need be.

They change the time to Central Time Zone on the first night. This did not change for Roatan, which is on Mountain Time (2 hours behind EDT). Otherwise, local and ship time matched.

I'm not sure what time they opened, but the doors were open when we got there. Didn't notice the rowing machines.I only visited the gym one other time, so not sure of dropoff.

Cagney's was underwhelming. I was expecting Ruth Chris quality, similar to the Pinnacle Grill on HAL. This was not even close.

We were on this cruise and in Vibe with you. Pat and Kerry. For us Vibe is all about being able to relax in quiet. Yes it gets hot and windy some days, but we feel it is worth it. We loved the camaraderie of everyone there as well and it was nice to see them outside Vibe and know someone. The whole trip was fantastic. Loads of places to get lost and wander and everyone was great. My only disappointment is how La Cucina and Cagney are now A La Carte. We were with a large group who likes to eat specialty, however we would have been very happy at the Manhattan Room as the food is very good there. Can't wait to hear the rest of your review.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A waste for whom? If the person with the pass doesn't feel that it is a waste, why should you? Is there a magic number of minutes or hours that would make it not a waste?

That would create a "VIBE hog" situation instead of a "chair hog" situation. People would get there at the crack of dawn to get in line, get their day pass, then take off to do other things just like "chair hogs".

Dude, why all the hostility?

You obviously feel that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the VIBE pass system currently - Your opinion is fine with me.

I, on the other hand, after having seen a week of an absolutely empty "sold-out" VIBE, think the system needs some updating - Just calling it like I saw it.

I, on the other hand, after having seen a week of an absolutely empty "sold-out" VIBE, think the system needs some updating - Just calling it like I saw it.

If VIBE is packed when you walk by/look down from deck 20, does that make you feel better, worse, or indifferent?

The point is that how much time or how little time someone spends in VIBE makes no difference to you nor should it.

Whenever someone complains about the current system, they never come up with a system that is perfect because there cannot be a perfect system.

If the Haven pool is empty most of the time, should NCL open it up to non-Haven guests since Haven guests are "wasting" it? Obviously, no.

If VIBE is "empty" most of the time, should NCL open it up to others since VIBE guests are "wasting" it? Obviously, no.

I cannot understand the belief that "...people who get VIBE passes should spend more time there..." because people who don't get passes feel that it is a waste otherwise.