Dealing With India's Visa Requirements

USN59-79

A little background: We were in Mumbai and Cochin two years ago on a cruise two years ago and have no desire to go there again. At the time it took three weeks to obtain a visa with numerous hassles in communicating with the company that had the contract with the Indian Consulate. I also have no desire to deal with their current contractor, Cox and King. However, almost every cruise ship that goes from Asia to either the Middle East or Africa stops in India. We took the second half of this Spring's WC, from Hong Kong to FLL and hoped to do the same this Spring from Singapore to FLL. But this year they stop in India. I called the World Cruise desk at HAL to inquire if we could just stay onboard when they stopped in India. They checked and said that I needed the visa whether I stayed aboard or not. She did mention that the requirement might go away sometime in the near future. So we won't repeat the half WC this time.

My questions are: Has anyone else heard that India might be liberalizing their visa requirements for cruise passengers? And have others skipped or cancelled cruises rather than giving the Indian Government a copy of your bank statement?

Have the requirements changed? We got an Indian visa for a cruise on RCCL two years ago that had four port stops in India. We met several people who got bogged down with the visa process and stayed onboard at those four ports. I do not know if HAL has a different policy or not.

Travisa was the embassy agency used at that time. That must have changed. The process was tedious and time consuming and expensive. We did not have to give bank information, however. That might have been a deal breaker.

We loved our time in India and were glad we'd not stayed onboard, but understood how some could choose this to avoid the hassle.

There was a discussion on the QE 2015 roll call that India was changing its requirements. You would still have to fill out paperwork on line but could get your visa on arrival. However, this would only be available in airports. Here is a link to the article. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-30241487

There was a blog from one of the Australian Princess World Cruises where the couple refused to get an Indian visa. IIRC, Princess let them on but they had to sign a waiver that they might have to make their own arrangements instead of cruising into Indian waters. Turned out nothing happened and they stayed on the ship. When I boarded the world cruise on QE this year, Cunard checked that I had the visa and would have denied me boarding if I did not have the visa.

Edited by Scrapnana

We heard ("heard" is the operative word) that some Australians on our Volendam cruise in the Spring went to their Indian Embassy and got a letter from them saying that if they did not leave the ship they would not require an Indian visa for the cruise (just one stop, in Port Blair). Maybe worth checking into?

We heard ("heard" is the operative word) that some Australians on our Volendam cruise in the Spring went to their Indian Embassy and got a letter from them saying that if they did not leave the ship they would not require an Indian visa for the cruise (just one stop, in Port Blair). Maybe worth checking into?

Maybe, but not for me. The nearest Consulate is in San Francisco and the impression I get from their website is that they don't want to be bothered by visa issues from tourists. They only want to deal with the third party contractor. Personally, I think that this is something that the cruise lines themselves should handle as they have the ability to bring or not bring thousands of tourists to the country.

Maybe, but not for me. The nearest Consulate is in San Francisco and the impression I get from their website is that they don't want to be bothered by visa issues from tourists. They only want to deal with the third party contractor. Personally, I think that this is something that the cruise lines themselves should handle as they have the ability to bring or not bring thousands of tourists to the country.

It is interesting that Indian visas in the US must be had through a third party while in Britain (and likely other places) you can send the paperwork directly to the consulate. Although they seem to want the tourists (and could certainly use the money that would be spent) they don't want to make it easy.

I found the blog post about the Australian who would not get a visa. Personally, I would be worried that the cruise line would not let me on the ship.

http://2013socram13.blogspot.com.au/2013_06_01_archive.html

I'm an Aussie and had to organise visas for a large group traveling to India for business a couple of years ago and it was a huge hassle. I dealt directly with the embassy in Sydney, but it was still more painful than getting a root canal done without anaesthetic!

I have been advised that the process is to become even more complex next year - fortunately I don't have to organise travel arrangements as part of my job any more....

India is a fascinating country though and really worth visiting if you get the opportunity.

I can see residents of Gr. Britain having an easy time getting into India as historically they were united. You would think it would be easier for cruise passengers as they are not staying long and are helping their economy with purchases etc. Why do they make it difficult--because they can.

A little background: We were in Mumbai and Cochin two years ago on a cruise two years ago and have no desire to go there again. At the time it took three weeks to obtain a visa with numerous hassles in communicating with the company that had the contract with the Indian Consulate. I also have no desire to deal with their current contractor, Cox and King. However, almost every cruise ship that goes from Asia to either the Middle East or Africa stops in India. We took the second half of this Spring's WC, from Hong Kong to FLL and hoped to do the same this Spring from Singapore to FLL. But this year they stop in India. I called the World Cruise desk at HAL to inquire if we could just stay onboard when they stopped in India. They checked and said that I needed the visa whether I stayed aboard or not. She did mention that the requirement might go away sometime in the near future. So we won't repeat the half WC this time.

My questions are: Has anyone else heard that India might be liberalizing their visa requirements for cruise passengers? And have others skipped or cancelled cruises rather than giving the Indian Government a copy of your bank statement?

Our understanding is that US citizens are required to have the Indian visa even if you are not getting off the ship. The liberalized policy of arrival visas is starting but only at certain airports in India, not cruise terminals. Currently you need to go through Cox and King or add another layer using a third party broker. This has been discussed and bemoaned on the current WC chat board. Good luck.

I travelled by cruise ship to India last year on a visa and just arrived back this week from Chennai ,India. Getting both the visas was the usual hassle and expense. Neither time was I required to give a copy of my bank statement. I am Canadian if that perhaps made any difference. I did note when I arrived at Chennai airport there was a place to get a last minute visa before going through customs which surprised me. Not sure of the cost. However I did have to show my visa to the airline prior to leaving Canada so I don't think getting a visa upon arrival would have been acceptable to Air Canada. India is very bureaucratic and despite having a passport and visa I still had to fill in 2 forms upon my arrival including info such as where I would be staying which had already been provided on the visa application form. I just shake my head!

I travelled by cruise ship to India last year on a visa and just arrived back this week from Chennai ,India. Getting both the visas was the usual hassle and expense. Neither time was I required to give a copy of my bank statement. I am Canadian if that perhaps made any difference. I did note when I arrived at Chennai airport there was a place to get a last minute visa before going through customs which surprised me. Not sure of the cost. However I did have to show my visa to the airline prior to leaving Canada so I don't think getting a visa upon arrival would have been acceptable to Air Canada. India is very bureaucratic and despite having a passport and visa I still had to fill in 2 forms upon my arrival including info such as where I would be staying which had already been provided on the visa application form. I just shake my head!

Not very difficult from UK either. Never heard of having to send bank statements before, either. That doesn't sound right to me.

The only thing I worry about is Royal Mail losing my passport enroute - now that would be a hassle:cool:

Just a thought though, perhaps the bank statement is required for a business visa and not a tourist visa?

Edited by chrispb
addition

Not very difficult from UK either. Never heard of having to send bank statements before, either. That doesn't sound right to me.

The only thing I worry about is Royal Mail losing my passport enroute - now that would be a hassle:cool:

Just a thought though, perhaps the bank statement is required for a business visa and not a tourist visa?

Apparently it is required if you list your occupation as "retired". I assume they think that I will try to take advantage of their welfare system. I remember the last time I went through their visa hassle and one of the CC members on our roll call mentioned that although the British invented red tape, the Indians perfected it.

I know that when we get business visas from some countries (I believe India is one) the letter our company provides guarantees financial responsibility for us while in the country and we will not attempt to use any financial resources form the country.

I remember the last time I went through their visa hassle and one of the CC members on our roll call mentioned that although the British invented red tape, the Indians perfected it.

Now that's true. Everything is rubber stamped not once but at least 2 or 3 times in India plus 3 copies of everything. But they are more efficient than UK and many other countries.

I can see residents of Gr. Britain having an easy time getting into India as historically they were united. You would think it would be easier for cruise passengers as they are not staying long and are helping their economy with purchases etc. Why do they make it difficult--because they can.

Nope, nothing changed yet.

I was listed as retired too so really not sure why they wanted your bank statements?

Apparently it is required if you list your occupation as "retired". I assume they think that I will try to take advantage of their welfare system. I remember the last time I went through their visa hassle and one of the CC members on our roll call mentioned that although the British invented red tape, the Indians perfected it.

• 1 year later...

Just applied for an Indian visa via an agent as recommended via Cruise Critic process was easy however 2 travelers was AU

$237

We have visited india numerous times over the past 8 years and each time the visa and embarkation craziness got worse and finally on our last one it so bad we vowed we would never go back. And we like India.

Each port made entirely different demands on paperwork that staff at the last minute and they had to get done the night before each port. Even though we had been through some idiotic circus just the port before. We never knew until that morning whether we had to do F2F interviews before we could leave the ship, so it must have been decided totally on whim and no sense of overall policy at all..

When we first went there were no hassles and getting a visa was easy.

But the last one were a nightmare plus a return because some fool thing was not to their requirement and had to be repeated, even though we thought we had jumped all the hoops.

They hired too many relatives to make work jobs with their new found wealth is all I can figure out. And they put them all in uniforms to come on board and act officious. One even wrote down our life boat off our cruise card on her clip board for absolutely no reason whatsoever but she was given the task to do something that looked officious.

One of the enrichment lecturers had been with the indian diplomatic service and when he offhandedly mentioned there were visa difficulties the entire showroom erupted in applause, much to his surprise. We were all disgusted.

Russia got equally stupid in their layers of requirements too so we opted out on getting visas for there too, and just stuck with ship shore excursions and no independent travel. What I don't know is how hard the US makes it for Russian and Indian tourists coming to the US.

So perhaps this is in retaliation for our requirements, just like Argentina demands an equivalent "reciprocity" fee that is as much as we ask of them. But they make us pay when the only thing one does is leave the ship and go to the airport.

There loss, because quite frankly all those countries need us more as tourists than we need to go through all their visa demands. Unlikely any of us would over-stay our visas anyway for any of them. But they all are worth visiting and I like all those countries. I just miss the days when it was far easier and cheaper to do so,

We have visited india numerous times over the past 8 years and each time the visa and embarkation craziness got worse and finally on our last one it so bad we vowed we would never go back. And we like India.

Each port made entirely different demands on paperwork that staff at the last minute and they had to get done the night before each port. Even though we had been through some idiotic circus just the port before. We never knew until that morning whether we had to do F2F interviews before we could leave the ship, so it must have been decided totally on whim and no sense of overall policy at all..

When we first went there were no hassles and getting a visa was easy.

But the last one were a nightmare plus a return because some fool thing was not to their requirement and had to be repeated, even though we thought we had jumped all the hoops.

They hired too many relatives to make work jobs with their new found wealth is all I can figure out. And they put them all in uniforms to come on board and act officious. One even wrote down our life boat off our cruise card on her clip board for absolutely no reason whatsoever but she was given the task to do something that looked officious.

One of the enrichment lecturers had been with the indian diplomatic service and when he offhandedly mentioned there were visa difficulties the entire showroom erupted in applause, much to his surprise. We were all disgusted.

Russia got equally stupid in their layers of requirements too so we opted out on getting visas for there too, and just stuck with ship shore excursions and no independent travel. What I don't know is how hard the US makes it for Russian and Indian tourists coming to the US.

So perhaps this is in retaliation for our requirements, just like Argentina demands an equivalent "reciprocity" fee that is as much as we ask of them. But they make us pay when the only thing one does is leave the ship and go to the airport.

There loss, because quite frankly all those countries need us more as tourists than we need to go through all their visa demands. Unlikely any of us would over-stay our visas anyway for any of them. But they all are worth visiting and I like all those countries. I just miss the days when it was far easier and cheaper to do so,

I am traveling in India at the moment and every time you come across the bureaucracy it is frightening.

We did our visas in Australia and when picking them up we came across an Indian man and he was beside himself, his surname had an apostrophe and they didn't know how to deal with it, he was 6 hours and 3 attempts into it (all at extra cost). He said to us this is nothing compared to what it will be like in India itself.

As to the USA, yes you guys are infamous for making it very tough especially for people from developing nations. Even as an Australian I have had to ring consulates etc to get clarification on etsa etc AND your immigration officials are by far the worst on the planet. After one experience I said I don't think I want to do that again (and I wasn't even entering USA just transiting through) and sure enough it was 5 years between visits (such a shame as I love the country). By the way I would have thought you guys need tourism with your debt levels [emoji6]

Back to India apparently tourism is down more than 20%, I think the visas are partly to do with this. Interesting that Indonesia is finally removing theirs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Ok Just bought a WC segment that goes Singapore to Abu Dhabi for 2017. Usually we go to the consulate in DC and get our visas -- sort of a shore excursion for folks who live in this area. Is it not allowed to do this for India?

I haven't done the research yet (still have about 400 days!) but if someone could give me a heads up -- what do you have to do? Do the visa agents have problems or just expensive or what? Does the trusted traveler (GOES) card help at all? (I can guess the response but you can hope:) )

Thanks for the help. I'd love some up to date information.

Ok Just bought a WC segment that goes Singapore to Abu Dhabi for 2017. Usually we go to the consulate in DC and get our visas -- sort of a shore excursion for folks who live in this area. Is it not allowed to do this for India?

I haven't done the research yet (still have about 400 days!) but if someone could give me a heads up -- what do you have to do? Do the visa agents have problems or just expensive or what? Does the trusted traveler (GOES) card help at all? (I can guess the response but you can hope:) )

Thanks for the help. I'd love some up to date information.

We also live in the DC area and go the appropriate consulate/embassy office in DC. To get our Indian visas in 2014, we simply went to the contracted agent's office, near Union Station, instead. It wasn't a big deal ...we were not asked for a bank statement, and we are both "retired" ... the only extra thing they asked for was copies of our drivers licenses, not mentioned on any of the forms or instructions, and we had to pay an extra fee for the copying!