Don't waste your money!

neicie

I'm recently back from a 25 day cruise on the NCL Star and just wanted to warn anyone thinking of getting the Keratin treatment on-board not to bother.

I have had this treatment at home both done by my salon and the do it yourself treatment, a number of times and was always happy with the result.

They were flogging a Keratin special which they said would last 6 weeks.

The cost all up including gratuity is $171.10 so it is not that cheap.

I was having a bad hair time so about the last week of the cruise I decided to get it done as we still had another 2 weeks of our holiday still to go.

The treatment itself was unlike others I have had, much quicker, no smell from the product (mine have all been formaldehyde free) and I was told to wash it in 8 hours time. I queried that with the stylist and he said yes, wash in 8 hours time can leave a bit longer but no more then a day. This was the opposite to what I have been advised before (don't get wet for about 2 days)

Anyway the end result was that my hair, less then one week later, was no different and no easier to manage then before. I had wasted my time and money.

Since arriving home I have contacted the cruise line for a refund. They take no responsibility and have passed my request on to Steiner. I doubt I will hear from them.

So if you have thought about getting this done on-board... DON'T! Save your money.

I also got the Shellac nails and those I really love!

Edited by neicie

Any "beauty" services will be more expensive on the ship than at home. Some services, like tooth whitening, hair cuts/treatments, and semi-medical things (botox/fillers) should NEVER be done on the ship!

Getting a mani-pedi, or an updo is fine, if you want to pay the price...but do any other "treatment" at home, with a reputable, licensed person!!!

I'm so picky about who even cuts my hair, there is no way I'd have any type of chemical service on a ship.

That may not be so easy for people who cruise multiple weeks, but it is something to consider prior to cruising. Any service in the salon or spa will be a lot more expensive than the typical land salon or spa. The fact that you can't go back and have it corrected would really bother me.

I'm sorry this happened to you and thanks for the warning, you may save another person $170+. I do hope Steiner stands behind their service, please let us know what happens.

I'm sorry for your disappointment and none of us like to waste the money and time on our vacation for ineffective or poorly done treatments.

It was kind of you to post here trying to save others from having the same poor experience.

Hope the rest of your cruise was wonderful. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Since arriving home I have contacted the cruise line for a refund. They take no responsibility and have passed my request on to Steiner. I doubt I will hear from them.

Sorry, but just have to point out....this was your mistake. You should have let the cruise line know immediately that something wasn't right. You can't wait. The cruise line (no matter which one) can't "fix" something if they don't know about it. They had no way of knowing if you were telling the truth or not about even having it done.

Sorry, but just have to point out....this was your mistake. You should have let the cruise line know immediately that something wasn't right. You can't wait. The cruise line (no matter which one) can't "fix" something if they don't know about it. They had no way of knowing if you were telling the truth or not about even having it done.

Kathy, they have a responsibility to their passengers as it is a service provided on their cruiseline regardless of the fact that it is provided by another company. Its up to the cruise line to oversee that these franchises on board are providing good services as it reflects on them. Also I only had the service less then a week before I got off so at that time I did not realise it would not last for the length of time they advertised. As that last week was very port intensive it wasnt until at the hotel I realised that my hair was no better off then it had been before the treatment. The cruiseline is who I paid to travel with so I believe it is to them I make my complaint and they follow it up. Also I am a platinum member and have never made a complaint before so why would I suddenly lie about a service if it had been ok????

Just to let you know that even though NCL forward my emails onto Steiner I have not had any contact from them at all. I will not be ever using their services again and I always have had something done at the spa every cruise.

Just to let you know that even though NCL forward my emails onto Steiner I have not had any contact from them at all. I will not be ever using their services again and I always have had something done at the spa every cruise.

Hi Neicie,

I found this email address and telephone number on http://www.timetospa.com where I purchase products from Steiner...same products used onboard cruise ships...

"If you have recently debarked from a cruise ship and have any questions pertaining to your spa experience or product purchase while onboard, please call 1-855-848-3059 or email shellem@steinerleisure.com."

Best wishes on an appropriate resolution,

coka

Hi Neicie,

I found this email address and telephone number on http://www.timetospa.com where I purchase products from Steiner...same products used onboard cruise ships...

"If you have recently debarked from a cruise ship and have any questions pertaining to your spa experience or product purchase while onboard, please call 1-855-848-3059 or email shellem@steinerleisure.com."

Best wishes on an appropriate resolution,

coka

Thank you very much for this information. I will send them an email today and hope for a happy resolution ( :

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you all know, I emailed that Steiner address and let them know of my disappointmemt.

They requested a copy of my receipt which I was lucky I still had, they have now offered me a full refund for which I am very happy. Knowing that they stand by their quality of work now makes me more than happy to give them another visit on my next cruise but maybe just the shellac again this time. :)

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Forums mobile app

Steiner at Sea Services. ........

one massage: there was No scent (such as a candle or other) No music - it was just a plain old half-ass massage - afterwards, I complained and I did get my money refunded. I was very dissatisfied and had voice my complaints in the first stages of the massage, but my complaints were disregarded.

Another time, I had some kind of tanning done - it was worse than horrible and the 'girl' said "you won't be charged for this". and I wasn't.

Another time, I went to the hair salon to have French braids put in and they just did them w/o charging, so I tipped what I had expected to pay.

Nail treatments seem to be ok.

Anything of significance, like tooth whitening: forget it! acupuncture? no way....

It's all expensive w/o a follow up/follow through should there be a need.

get your treatments at home and spend your money on touring or shopping :D

I actually had the acupuncture on a cruise once, as I arrived after a very long flight (Sydney via Dallas to Vancouver) with a very bad back. It was really spoiling my vacation so decided to give the acupuncture a try. It worked for me but I know of others who have not had any relief after it. The thing I felt was very unfair is the gratuity. The sessions were about 1/2 hour to 45 mins and cost over $100 each then you're hit with the gratuity on top of that. It was basically getting a few needles placed in you then laying there quietly then they are removed.

Is it common practice to charge a gratuity for this type of service on land?

I wouldn't think so but I could be wrong.

I actually had the acupuncture on a cruise once, as I arrived after a very long flight (Sydney via Dallas to Vancouver) with a very bad back. It was really spoiling my vacation so decided to give the acupuncture a try. It worked for me but I know of others who have not had any relief after it. The thing I felt was very unfair is the gratuity. The sessions were about 1/2 hour to 45 mins and cost over $100 each then you're hit with the gratuity on top of that. It was basically getting a few needles placed in you then laying there quietly then they are removed.

Any service you get from a spa should be given a gratuity in the 15-20% range. The therapists get very low pay and expect tips to supplement it.

Acupuncture is a bit different on land. The rules are really tight here in Florida, where the treatment in carried out by a practitioner who is someone trained up to 4 years as an Oriental medicine Dr so a tip probably wouldn't be appropriate on land in that clinical environment.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

• 2 years later...

I've tried and tried and I've even called Royal Caribbean but I cannot find the actual product they use for their "Keratin Express" treatment. Does anyone know, or know how I could find out??

I got my very first Keratin Treatment on RCI Independence of the Seas last November (Thanksgiving). It was absolutely amazing!!! I've never had my hair behave so nicely.

Since then I've had two keratin treatments on land and neither are anything to write home about. The first one on land I blamed on the stylist being a novice at keratin, the second (more experienced stylist) is better, but still not what I got on Royal.

Honestly, how bizarre is this that I got the best treatment on a cruise :p Does this work as an excuse to cruise again? "Honey, it's time for my next Keratin..."

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• 2 months later...
I'm recently back from a 25 day cruise on the NCL Star and just wanted to warn anyone thinking of getting the Keratin treatment on-board not to bother.

I have had this treatment at home both done by my salon and the do it yourself treatment, a number of times and was always happy with the result.

They were flogging a Keratin special which they said would last 6 weeks.

The cost all up including gratuity is $171.10 so it is not that cheap.

I was having a bad hair time so about the last week of the cruise I decided to get it done as we still had another 2 weeks of our holiday still to go.

The treatment itself was unlike others I have had, much quicker, no smell from the product (mine have all been formaldehyde free) and I was told to wash it in 8 hours time. I queried that with the stylist and he said yes, wash in 8 hours time can leave a bit longer but no more then a day. This was the opposite to what I have been advised before (don't get wet for about 2 days)

Anyway the end result was that my hair, less then one week later, was no different and no easier to manage then before. I had wasted my time and money.

So if you have thought about getting this done on-board... DON'T! Save your money.

I also got the Shellac nails and those I really love!

Unfortunately, I read a great review on cruise critic about how fantastic the Keratin treatment was on cruise ship. I took a cruise on Royal Caribbean, 7 days. Just returned a couple weeks ago. I too am disappointed with the results. They oversell themselves on the treatment and aftercare products. Never again.