What about Iberocruceros and AIDA???

BritishCruiser101

I was looking at Europe cruises on European lines (as always:D) and came across Iberocruceros. It's a Spanish line owned by Carnival corp. but can't seem to find it in any cruise website like iglucruise but can't seem to find any cruises with the itineraries and the booking process in English. Is it just me, or is English an International language that is spoken in loads of countries? Last time I checked it was. Yeah, Iberocruceros is Spanish, but Costa & MSC are Italian but you can still use their sites in English without a translator! AIDA is the same. Like on both Iberocruceros and AIDA, they probably speak some English on board (the crew). So why can people who don't speak fluent Spanish or German book either without getting the wrong date or whatever!? I speak quite a bit of Spanish, but not enough to book a cruise without booking the wrong cabin or something (which would probably happen, leading up to me ranting on the phone to someone in Spanish or German by a translator app knowing me:D)!

Is it me going insane or do they not want people who don't speak Spanish or German on their ships!? :confused:

Anyone else had any experience with either?

While I can't answer your questions, I have one or two for you. What is so compelling about these cruise lines that you would sail on them knowing that you would have a language barrier onboard? Do their ships have a special itinerary that can't be found on other lines? Are their ships unique in some way? Just wondering about your interest in them.

From what I have been able to understand after a very cursory Google search, both of these lines use German or Spanish as their primary language. So employees will be using those languages for everyday functions. Including announcements, daily compasses, menus, entertainment etc. Personally, u less I was fluent in the language,I wouldn't sail on one of these and arrogantly assume that I would receive services in English.

Edited by mom says

I think you will find that in Ibero and Aida, the announcements are not made in English, only the host language (Spanish and German, respectively). While there are certainly many counties where English is the official language, it is not spoken by everyone.

While I can't answer your questions, I have one or two for you. What is so compelling about these cruise lines that you would sail on them knowing that you would have a language barrier onboard? Do their ships have a special itinerary that can't be found on other lines? Are their ships unique in some way? Just wondering about your interest in them.

From what I have been able to understand after a very cursory Google search, both of these lines use German or Spanish as their primary language. So employees will be using those languages for everyday functions. Including announcements, daily compasses, menus, entertainment etc. Personally, u less I was fluent in the language,I wouldn't sail on one of these and arrogantly assume that I would receive services in English.

The thing is... I don't really know what I like the look of within a foreign cultured ship. I like the look of Ibero because of the Spanish culture and decor around the ships by pictures and the itineraries look fab; with AIDA it's the style with buffets for most meals and a relaxed atmosphere (best of all - no nights I loathe - formal nights! *shivers*) with best of all the added sense of adventure because I can speak Spanish as if I was living there for 6 weeks, so not fluent but stuff like time, food places & conversations are fluent just lacking with adjectives lol so that's about it

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Is it me going insane or do they not want people who don't speak Spanish or German on their ships!? :confused:

"Insane" is a bit strong, but you are failing to spot a pretty simple answer to a very simple question. They don't target the English-only market, and they don't expect many English speakers who don't speak Spanish/German, so they don't feel the expense of an English-language website is worth the effort.

Ring them up. I'd be very surprised if the Germans don't have a fluent English speaker on the premises; and I'm sure the Spanish could find one, if there isn't one handy.

My fear about traveling on a ship where English is not the primary language is in the very slight chance of an emergency, I might not understand the announcements.

Ask the English only passengers on the Costa Concordia about how well they understood the emergency instructions.

My fear about traveling on a ship where English is not the primary language is in the very slight chance of an emergency, I might not understand the announcements.

Ask the English only passengers on the Costa Concordia about how well they understood the emergency instructions.

As the Costa Concordia emergency procedures were completely botched anyway, it mattered very little whether they were understood or not.

On an Italian line, if you see the captain moving in a hurry, follow him. He knows where the lifeboats are!

As the Costa Concordia emergency procedures were completely botched anyway, it mattered very little whether they were understood or not.

On an Italian line, if you see the captain moving in a hurry, follow him. He knows where the lifeboats are!

This is true for certain, but my point still stands. If there's an emergency, I want to be able to understand the emergency instructions.

This is from memory only....I think I read on a UK cruising forum that Aida asked Brits if someone in their party understood German before booking....as I say, memory only!

There's also Pullmantur, which I believe is RCI's Spanish cruiseline, and I have heard of, and met, Brits who've travelled on that line.

Try checking on the Other Cruise Lines slot on the index page of this site.

Firstly, you may be surprised to learn that there are more Spanish speakers on this planet than English speakers.

There are many cruise lines out there that do not cater to English speakers. As a result, you will not easily find them on mass market cruise websites.

Since their products are specifically designed for the enjoyment of cultures different from yours, they do not want to take the increased risk of booking passengers who will be disappointed with the experience.

• 1 month later...
Firstly, you may be surprised to learn that there are more Spanish speakers on this planet than English speakers.

There are many cruise lines out there that do not cater to English speakers. As a result, you will not easily find them on mass market cruise websites.

Since their products are specifically designed for the enjoyment of cultures different from yours, they do not want to take the increased risk of booking passengers who will be disappointed with the experience.

I know where you are coming from, as P&O UK (you might not of heard about P&O) only does the announcements in English, but if there is a lot of let's say Italian, they will do the announcements in Italian as well. If I recall correctly, English is the 3rd or 4th most widely spoken by people language in Europe. If you read my post a few posts back, I can speak Spanish and German quite well, I was just wondering why Ibero and AIDA don't do the same.

Personally, I see the cultural experience of a non English speaking cruise fascinating and hope to sail with Aida at some point due to their eccentric show lounges and style and free wine and beer with food.

You wouldnt say 'Spain does not want English speaking people as everything is in Spanish over there'. They provide a cultural experience for whoever decides to join them. The booking system is catered towards who usually books. RCI and Carnival websites et al are in English for the same reason.

Nothings stopping you using google translate page. :D

Personally, I see the cultural experience of a non English speaking cruise fascinating and hope to sail with Aida at some point due to their eccentric show lounges and style and free wine and beer with food.

You wouldnt say 'Spain does not want English speaking people as everything is in Spanish over there'. They provide a cultural experience for whoever decides to join them. The booking system is catered towards who usually books. RCI and Carnival websites et al are in English for the same reason.

Nothings stopping you using google translate page. :D

Exactly my point! I have a assured myself though, by reading the first few posts, maybe I was a little arrogant the services would also be in English!!!

Maybe I'll sail with Iberocruceros or AIDA one day. I have Costa or Carnival on my mind at the moment though!!!!!

One problem, the wife, DD and DS don't speak either language. Although, I guess nothing is stopping me secretly running away for a week for a cruise!:D I suspect the wife wouldn't be very happy though!

Exactly my point! I have a assured myself though, by reading the first few posts, maybe I was a little arrogant the services would also be in English!!!

Maybe I'll sail with Iberocruceros or AIDA one day. I have Costa or Carnival on my mind at the moment though!!!!!

One problem, the wife, DD and DS don't speak either language. Although, I guess nothing is stopping me secretly running away for a week for a cruise!:D I suspect the wife wouldn't be very happy though!

As a fellow Brit and Carnival lover I would whole heartedly recommend them.

If you sail Iberocruceros you will be sailing on one of Carnival's older ships (Celebration/Holiday).

MSC/Costa are known for being multilingual lines and they have shows without words and announcements made in 4/5 different languages.

My German is soso...enough to get by on Aida.

If I recall correctly, English is the 3rd or 4th most widely spoken by people language in Europe. If you read my post a few posts back, I can speak Spanish and German quite well, I was just wondering why Ibero and AIDA don't do the same.

Maybe they've heard tell about British cruisers complaining that the Spaniards are speaking Spanish, and decided that they do not want customers who don't speak it well enough to understand the website.

It could also be that they don't see the point of competing in the uk market when they quite easily fill their ships. Why spend money on an English website for probably 1% of your market. Having been on msc I can also understand another reason. Having announcements in 6 languages for every single thing including bingo must get annoying for the Italians who are the largest demographic onboard so why would other lines 'annoy' their customers by adding this feature which they would probably need to if they actively target the English speaking market as people would usually expect it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app