Orlando - Port Canaveral

I will be sailing on the Oasis with my wife on 10/1/17 out of Port Canaveral. It is the first time I am leaving from that port. I am going to arrive the day before and I was wondering should I stay near the airport and take the hour ride to the port the next day or should I take the hour ride when I arrive and stay at a hotel near the port. I am going to look for private transportation. Any recommendations for a hotel would be great. This will be our first trip as Diamond plus also.

Thanks,

Steve & Maryanne

Medford NY

You can do either. We like to get close to the port the night before, so normally do a one-way rental car, stay near the port, return the rental car the morning of the cruise, and take the rental car shuttle to the cruise terminal.

Nearest hotels to the port are Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn, and Radisson. There is another brand new one alsovery close to the port, but I forget the name. We've used the Residence Inn many times.

Love the Radisson,never been disappointed the 3 times we stayed there:D. They have a great "Stay & Cruise" package that includes room and transportation to port. Last time they included breakfast,we also left our car for 2 wks(we were on a BtoB)with no problems:D

When I fly into MCO to cruise out of Canaveral, I stay in the Orlando area the night I arrive at the myriad of hotels available.

I book a rental car through Budget, and return it at the location near the cruise terminal.

A bit of advice if you do rent a car and return it the day of the cruise. Drop your luggage and family off at the port, and then go drop the car off with your carry-on. It is much easier for one person to get on their shuttle and ride with just their carry-on instead of a family with all their luggage riding on the shuttle.

On the way back, I do the same thing. I get off the ship, and go myself to the car rental location, pick up the car and then go back to the port and pick up the rest of my family. Saves carrying luggage on a shuttle.

The other reason I rent a car is so we can sightsee the night before without having to deal with taxis or the like. We usually go out to a nice dinner somewhere, and then travel around and do some shopping.

Edited by reedl

When we sail out of Port Canaveral we always stay at Radisson at the Port and use their stay & cruise special where we can leave our car and take their shuttle to the port, which also picks you up and returns you to your car. Their rooms are nice, the beds are super comfortable, they have a great pool and tiki bar area and their breakfast is very good! I think their prices are very reasonable too, especially since it includes your car parking (if you are parking a car).

If you are asking for recommendations for a private driving service, I will tell you what we did. We used Apollo's Chariots as our private transportation when we sailed out of Port Canaveral in 2014. We had them pick us up at the airport and take us straight to the pier though. They were not a flashy company by any means but they were on time and got us there safely. It decreases the stress for sure because you don't have to worry about picking up or dropping off cars, parking or finding where you are going. It may cost about the same as a rental car or taxi as well depending on how many people you have, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you stay at the Radisson with their stay and cruise package, where is your vehicle parked while on the cruise? Is the parking area safe enough for the car to be left there for a whole week?

How does the Shuttle process work when returning from the cruise? Do they come to the port at a specific time, do you have to call them from the port, or do they just make loops back and forth from the port/hotel?

How do you reserve seats on the shuttle when going to the port? Id it first come/first served or can you reserve a time slot when you check in?

Other than the hotel, any recommendations on restaurants for dinner the night before the cruise that are not totally overpriced?

Thank you in advance for your help.

If you stay at the Radisson with their stay and cruise package, where is your vehicle parked while on the cruise? Is the parking area safe enough for the car to be left there for a whole week?

How does the Shuttle process work when returning from the cruise? Do they come to the port at a specific time, do you have to call them from the port, or do they just make loops back and forth from the port/hotel?

How do you reserve seats on the shuttle when going to the port? Id it first come/first served or can you reserve a time slot when you check in?

Other than the hotel, any recommendations on restaurants for dinner the night before the cruise that are not totally overpriced?

Specific parking area. It's outside, however I did see security camera's all over. Was perfectly safe

Just wander over to the pick up area. I believe it makes loops. We waited 5 mins. The hotel is 3 minutes away, so even if you just miss it you shouldn't wait long

Reserve your spot at Radisson when you check in. They call names in the morning for your time slot. Everyone waits in the lobby, so it can be a bit of a cattle call, but your name is down and you have a spot for sure.

Fishlips, Rustys and several other spots right at the port are fantastic. Again, all of 3 minutes away. And you can see the sail away for ships leaving the day before. Cost was reasonable, food was good, just head over early.

Edited by NateUpNorth

Fishlips, Rustys and several other spots right at the port are fantastic. Again, all of 3 minutes away. And you can see the sail away for ships leaving the day before. Cost was reasonable, food was good, just head over early.

I just want to second Fishlips and Rusty's. They are great places to dine and if there is a ship or two leaving the day before your cruise, it is nice to go there a little early and eat and watch the ships leave port! :)

• 3 weeks later...
We stayed at Country Inn & Suites this June and thought it was exactly what we needed for a pre-cruise one night stay.

I saw you stayed at country inn and suites. Can you tell me if there are any restaurants close by or in the hotel that we won't need to take a cab to? My husband has a bad knee so looking for something close enough to walk to. I know Kelsey's is next to the Radisson but wondering if there is anything near the country inn? Thanks in advance

Barb

I saw you stayed at country inn and suites. Can you tell me if there are any restaurants close by or in the hotel that we won't need to take a cab to? My husband has a bad knee so looking for something close enough to walk to. I know Kelsey's is next to the Radisson but wondering if there is anything near the country inn? Thanks in advance

Barb

Burger King