Flying In on the Day of Cruise

Jsmommy13

Our general rule is always try and book the earliest non stop flight possible the day of the cruise... I always look to see if there are additional flights around a reasonable time to my final destination in case there's an issue they then can try to get us on another flight. We fly to either FLL or MIA depending on which had the better times & price. If we cruise in the Winter then we always fly down the day before, to be safe.. I personally think as long as there's no weather or mechanical issues, you will be just fine.

Edited by setsail1975

Once again, statistics mean NOTHING if your flight happens to be the one canceled, delayed or rerouted.

And I used to be based at O'Hare for many years. That place is a nightmare, even if the "statistics" don't make it sound as bad. There are a handful of airports that always elicit a "Ugh" from most pilots. O'Hare is one of them.

That's like saying that I shouldn't go get in my car and drive to work because there is a "chance" that I may be involved in a traffic accident.

Statistics do prove that the generalization that airline flights are unpredictable at best is an old wives tale. I am sure that many people like to play it safe and fly in early for a cruise...but to insist that it is a necessity is absurd and very misleading, I think.

I fly 2 to 3 times a month on business. Most flights have been uneventful. However I have had all of the following happen in the past 12 months.

1. First flight out cancelled cancelled and with most other flights flying full my 6am departure turned into a 3pm departure.

2. Connecting flight canceled because of bad weather where that flight was coming from. Stuck till the next morning.

3. Flight delayed for 6 hours due to a maintenance issue.

4. Luggage sent to the wrong city.

5. Luggage missed connecting flight.

6. Flight delayed for a few hours because de-icing stations were backed up.

There have been others but you get the point. I always fly out the day before my scheduled business. In the examples that I have given, if these flights were the morning of a cruise leaving the same day I would missed the cruise or made it with no luggage.

I have gone months at a time with no issues. However, when they due happen I have always had the extra day to straighten things out.

I hope everyone's luck holds out because if you get on enough flights, it's not if something happens, it's when.

Happy Sailing

Edited by mlrm

That's like saying that I shouldn't go get in my car and drive to work because there is a "chance" that I may be involved in a traffic accident.

Statistics do prove that the generalization that airline flights are unpredictable at best is an old wives tale. I am sure that many people like to play it safe and fly in early for a cruise...but to insist that it is a necessity is absurd and very misleading, I think.

Not really SDG. By that comparison, it's more like saying don't fly, because I'm scared the plane will crash.

I totally understand Tapi's point; though you don't need to be an airline pilot to realize that you are taking a big gamble by flying in the day of a cruise. Even if you've done it 1,000 times, there's always a chance that something could happen to the ONE flight you need to run smoothly and therefore all of your planning and money spent is out the window. Sure there's insurance. I get insurance myself. But I would much rather take my vacation than be able to cash in on an insurance policy.

All I'm saying is that if you can avoid it, why not do so and arrive the day/night before. None of us ever knows what will happen. But I consider it minimizing my chances of my vacation being ruined. There are so many unforeseen things that can go wrong regardless. But if you are able to avoid this risk, why wouldn't you?

Edited by cruizinisthebest

We did a family reunion cruise once out of New Orleans and for the most part with same day travel everything worked out. However, we had one family to arrive at 11 a.m. leaving plenty of time to spare but their luggage didn't arrive at the airport until after 2 p.m.! It was nothing but chaos and panic for them.

We did a family reunion cruise once out of New Orleans and for the most part with same day travel everything worked out. However, we had one family to arrive at 11 a.m. leaving plenty of time to spare but their luggage didn't arrive at the airport until after 2 p.m.! It was nothing but chaos and panic for them.

There is probably a higher likelihood of your luggage being late/missing than your flight causing you to miss a cruise.

That is why I use a carry on bag for all my Caribbean cruises and vacation getaways (except for Alaska and the Mediterranean - but those I fly in before because I want time there to explore).

Someday, I'll miss a cruise and either have to play catchup or cash in the insurance - but I will still be ahead because I haven't spent for 25 hotel nights and extra food and transportation.

Guess I would just book another in that case.

I always fly in 1-2 days ahead of time. It gives me a sense of security knowing I'm right near the port along with my luggage, and it makes the vacation start a day early. I enjoy getting on the ship well-rested and relaxed. I have flown in the day of, many years ago, and although it did work out fine, I really prefer the "luxury" of being there early.

I always fly in 1-2 days ahead of time. It gives me a sense of security knowing I'm right near the port along with my luggage, and it makes the vacation start a day early. I enjoy getting on the ship well-rested and relaxed. I have flown in the day of, many years ago, and although it did work out fine, I really prefer the "luxury" of being there early.

I very much respect your opinion, you must do what makes you comfortable.

At the same time, you used the words "luxury" and "prefer" in describing your early start.

A luxury or preference is not a necessity, contrary to the mantra of the CC posters who claim like gospel that it is imperative to fly in early. I am glad you noted that difference.

What naive thinking. It is ALL about the risk EACH person wants to take, and everybody, bragging "they" haven't had any problems, is talking hindsight. I guess the OP is going to feel better "knowing" how successful this choice is, now from the "experts".

Sorry, but these SINGLE reports and especially with people who ONLY fly a few times per year- are flying with a very false sense of security. The tone, is they have done it a few times in the past- they somehow, now have no concern about any mishaps in the future.

All someone has to do, is spend a full day in a busy airport and watch the departure boards. EVERY day there are late/delayed and canceled flights. Like a roulette wheel, there is NO way to claim which "number" will come up, initially. The fallout is predictable- which can extend for days. The closer you fly to cruise vs the departure time- the fewer options you are going to have. Simple fact.

Good luck to everyone, and success boarding your cruises on time.

Besides, the airlines aren't offering as many alternate flights in case your plane is held up.

I think THIS is the factor that has caused me to start coming in the night before. I travel A LOT on business so our hotels are free with points. I have had so many flights be delayed for whatever reason over the past couple of years and then there be no seats available until hours later.

I'm also older and not much of a gambler anymore.

Going in the night before, I am much more relaxed and am ready to make that first day a full cruise day rather than just a travel day.

In your case, I think you will be fine.

People who comment that this is the right time of year to play airplane roulette with flights obviously don't know Florida weather patterns. Hopefully, you will not have the typical Florida summertime weather patterns we have been having for the last two weeks.

Depending on the winds, both Florida coasts (and the interior as the sea breezes worked their way inland and collide) have been having early morning thunderstorms that last into the afternoon. The problem with those storms is that if there is a lightening strike within two miles of the airport runway, the airport is shut down for ground operations (i.e; no luggage loading or unloading for example) until 20 minutes after the last lightening strike within two miles of the airport.

As the planes stack up, incoming flights are diverted to other airports until they can be allowed to land at their original destination.

Flights in and out of the various Florida airports have been greatly messed up for the last few weeks.

What naive thinking. It is ALL about the risk EACH person wants to take, and everybody, bragging "they" haven't had any problems, is talking hindsight. I guess the OP is going to feel better "knowing" how successful this choice is, now from the "experts".

Sorry, but these SINGLE reports and especially with people who ONLY fly a few times per year- are flying with a very false sense of security. The tone, is they have done it a few times in the past- they somehow, now have no concern about any mishaps in the future.

All someone has to do, is spend a full day in a busy airport and watch the departure boards. EVERY day there are late/delayed and canceled flights. Like a roulette wheel, there is NO way to claim which "number" will come up, initially. The fallout is predictable- which can extend for days. The closer you fly to cruise vs the departure time- the fewer options you are going to have. Simple fact.

Good luck to everyone, and success boarding your cruises on time.

I have never known anyone who has flown in the same day as their cruise to have missed their cruise. I have never missed a cruise. That is my experience. 59 cancelled flights today out of how many....87,000. The chances of a flight being cancelled is less than .01 of 1%. The chances of a flight being delayed are 1/2 of 1%. If I was a gambling man I'd like those odds.

I have never known anyone who has flown in the same day as their cruise to have missed their cruise. I have never missed a cruise. That is my experience. 59 cancelled flights today out of how many....87,000. The chances of a flight being cancelled is less than .01 of 1%. The chances of a flight being delayed are 1/2 of 1%. If I was a gambling man I'd like those odds.

Per Flightview, 15% of arrivals at Miami inter. today are described as late. 10% are being described as very late.

I am sure that many people like to play it safe and fly in early for a cruise...but to insist that it is a necessity is absurd and very misleading, I think.

Your comparison is off. I'm not telling people not to fly. I'm telling them to give themselves some time. Just like you would allow yourself extra time to drive to a special event, important interview, or any other time sensitive appointment, it's smart to give yourself extra time to make it to the port.

If you know it will take you 3 hours to drive to another city to go to your favorite band's concert, would you leave exactly 3 hours prior? No, you'd be stupid to do so. That, would be absurd. Same thing applies to going on a cruise.

Per Flightview, 15% of arrivals at Miami inter. today are described as late. 10% are being described as very late.

What is late? or very late? 10 minutes, 5 hours?

I'll guarantee you that if a cruise were leaving today and nobody could land at the airport the cruise ship would be holding steady at the dock to allow passengers flying in a chance to get to the terminal. Cruise lines offer flights, same day flights, and they know the odds of flights arriving.

Things do not operate in a vacuum...a cruise line isn't going to push off at 4:30 if half their passengers are still circling the airport. It just doesn't work that way.

Does everyone driving to a port plan on being there a day early? Heck no. But the chances of something happening to interrupt a car journey are as likely as though you were flying in. Its 6 hours from Phoenix to LA...leave at 4 in the morning arrive at 10 or so, easy-peasy. Oh my gosh Interstate 10 got wiped out by rains...no one making it across the desert. Guess I should rethink driving.

Your comparison is off. I'm not telling people not to fly. I'm telling them to give themselves some time. Just like you would allow yourself extra time to drive to a special event, important interview, or any other time sensitive appointment, it's smart to give yourself extra time to make it to the port.

If you know it will take you 3 hours to drive to another city to go to your favorite band's concert, would you leave exactly 3 hours prior? No, you'd be stupid to do so. That, would be absurd. Same thing applies to going on a cruise.

Its an hour flight Phoenix to LA, its 1 hour 20 minutes Salt Lake to LA, 1 hour 45 minutes Denver to LA. Flying in a day early to avoid what may be a delay and spending $150 dollars for a hotel would seem slightly absurd to me.

I can reach any Florida port from my house within 5 hours. That said, with the exception of Tampa which is one hour away, we do travel to the port the day before.

Once again, we have had interstate closures due to fog and/or rain and the resultant accidents or have just been slowed down to a crawl due to passing storms (and if they are moving across the state with you, they stay with you).

Sweet Dutch Girl, I will leave you with the words I tell my daughter: Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. You will gain wisdom as you travel more.

I have flown in the day of a cruise several times. It's not my preference, because I'm a bundle of nerves even flying in the day before, but I have done it without problems.

At this point in my life, because I'm not an adrenaline junkie, I would only try it under certain circumstances, and from the sounds of it, your circumstances are about as ideal as possible. Nothing's guaranteed, of course, but it certainly sounds feasible on paper.

The airport in JAX is on the same side of town as the cruise port (north) and it's not a long drive from the airport to the port ..... so if your flight lands at a reasonable time you shouldn't have problems getting to your ship.

Just flew from DCA to Port Canaveral a few weeks ago on the morning of our cruise on the Sunshine. It was raining that morning but just a drizzle. We had 7:00am flight that got us in at 9:20am with no problem. Of our 8 cruises, we've flown in the same day 5 of them with no problem. The other 3 we flew in the day before (twice to MIA and once to LAX).

Edited by vacruisin

What is late? or very late? 10 minutes, 5 hours?

I'll guarantee you that if a cruise were leaving today and nobody could land at the airport the cruise ship would be holding steady at the dock to allow passengers flying in a chance to get to the terminal. Cruise lines offer flights, same day flights, and they know the odds of flights arriving.

Things do not operate in a vacuum...a cruise line isn't going to push off at 4:30 if half their passengers are still circling the airport. It just doesn't work that way.

Does everyone driving to a port plan on being there a day early? Heck no. But the chances of something happening to interrupt a car journey are as likely as though you were flying in. Its 6 hours from Phoenix to LA...leave at 4 in the morning arrive at 10 or so, easy-peasy. Oh my gosh Interstate 10 got wiped out by rains...no one making it across the desert. Guess I should rethink driving.

I am not trying to change your mind. As I stated before, I fly 2 to 3 times a month, that's 4 to 6 opportunties to have something go wrong the day of travel. I have had many flights without mishap. Many with small delays, and a handful with delays of 6 to 24 hrs. It's the handful that have gone wrong that causes me to fly in a day early. Also, a ship won't wait for you if your flight is delayed. If you miss a cruise on a flight that you booked thru Carnival, they will pay to catch you up at the next port. Still not an ideal situation.

All I can continue to say- is, what naive thinking. You've got to be kidding thinking anyone is "experienced" flying and cruising with only 8 cruises, (even 25 cruises isn't enough) or just because, you don't know of anyone who has missed their cruise. What anyone does it THEIR business. Where the faulty thinking comes in, is with these people who "think" they "know", the risks are nothing, don't worry, no problem, absurd etc etc etc, when THEY travel only a few times per YEAR.

When you have the background- OF being a "frequent' traveler- like multiple flights per week, for years. Then you can perhaps "recommend" flight suggestions.

Otherwise- people are going to do what they want.

Sweet Dutch Girl, I will leave you with the words I tell my daughter: Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. You will gain wisdom as you travel more.

Giminy Christmas...how do you know how much I travel or what my travel experience is. I've probably logged more hours of travel than most anyone else on this board since I spent a good part of my life actually "traveling" for a living.

I am not telling anyone when they should fly into a port to start their cruise. I am relaying actually facts that refutes the idea that it is "necessary" to fly in the day before a cruise.

Single leg flights with reputable airlines in other than horrific weather scenerios are reliable. Saturdays and Sundays are not "huge" travel days since business travel actually accounts for the largest portion of air travel.

No one is telling someone that needs to travel 6000 miles with 4 stops and 12 hours of flight time to schedule their travel "same day" as departure. But common sense, for the most part, will be some one's best ally when choosing when to fly irregardless of the "horror" stories that someone else tells.

All I can continue to say- is, what naive thinking. You've got to be kidding thinking anyone is "experienced" flying and cruising with only 8 cruises, (even 25 cruises isn't enough) or just because, you don't know of anyone who has missed their cruise. What anyone does it THEIR business. Where the faulty thinking comes in, is with these people who "think" they "know", the risks are nothing, don't worry, no problem, absurd etc etc etc, when THEY travel only a few times per YEAR.

When you have the background- OF being a "frequent' traveler- like multiple flights per week, for years. Then you can perhaps "recommend" flight suggestions.

Otherwise- people are going to do what they want.

"Like" exactly what I was trying to say. Cruise Critic is filled with good advice. Whether you choose to use it is up to you. doesn't matter anyway, few would come back and say I should have took that advice.